Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hope you enjoyed it if you went thurs skint spice :) two of mine enjoyed it and one didn't.

It was my friends 40th and we went out last night to a girls only night at a local county club, lots of almost naked young waiters! £50 each for dinner and as much wine as you could drink (which was a lot :rotfl:) did switch to water later though so am feeling more tired than hungover as I didn't get in until 2, which is about 5 hours later than bed time :D

Today is set aside for resting and drinking lots of tea, I have booked pr*zzo for this evening for me and dh as when I went recently with friends it was really nice food, so I'm using an mse voucher (get a second main for £2.50)

It's a little exciting as dh has just gone over to his mums and is going to get a cheque for his share of the property she owned in Spain. She has always had a property there for the three sons to use whenever they wanted as she is Spanish and always wanted to keep a base there. She promised dh's grand mother it would always go to the boys eventually as gran didn't like dh's father!

It's Not often you get given money like that and dh said we should pay some debts off which is pretty great of him as I know he really wants to spend it on a second hand BMW z4 he has wanted forever.

Well I'm off to get some toast to bring back to bed :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Enjoy the sight of that cheque clearing in the account and well done dh for being ultra sensible
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Great news!
  • Peonie
    Peonie Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    What an exciting night! That's great of Mr NG to spend the money paying off debts. It might not seem so bad if you think that it's paid, in part, for your extension.
    Pots: House £6966/£7100, Rainy day Complete, [STRIKE]Sunny day £0/£700[/STRIKE], IVF £2523/£2523, Car up-keep £135/£135, New car £5000/£5000, Holiday £1000/£1000, MFW #16 £2077/£3120
    MFiT3 #86: Reduce mortgage from £146,800 to £125,000
    Mortgage Sept 2014: £135,500, MF Oct 2035 Peak July 2011: £154,000, MF July 2036
  • What lovely news to read. Congratulations x x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    How nice to get a windfall, sounds like it will be put to good use
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • newgirly
    Still on tenterhooks here :D inlaws didn't sort money out on Saturday so will go in the week to make a transfer. We went for lunch yesterday which was a nice roast and mil told dh that they got a bit more than expected , so he thinks there will be enough to clear the loan and maybe a bit more :T however I think he wants to put some by for my 40th next year, not too much I hope :

I did mention the possibility of not cancelling our disneyland break this summer but I think dh still wants to, he did say switch it for next year instead (we stand to lose £200 deposit) but the cost will still be £2000 plus incl food and ferry. If we do that there's no chance of another holiday as well. The twins are not fussed but dd wants to go.

Dd is 18 and I am 40 next year so it would be nice to have a special holiday like a week abroad or in centerparcs with the kids , argh I can't decide and we need to pay the balance/cancel in the next two days!

Dh has been to work everyday this bank holiday , he was off at 6 am again this morning so is pretty worn out , I wanted to do a day out with the kids this week but have to work tues/weds, they don't seem keen though :( they only want to go with friends to the cinema etc. not be seen with their mum during the holidays. I was going to go to the doctor who shop in East london but apparently it's closed down now, so I think it will be a lazy half term but I shall get my act together for summer. Maybe switch some clubcard points and book a day or two out. Plus I've found some great caravan deals for the next few weekends £70 for 5 of us in clacton, so May book one of those , then it's just petrol take out own food and a little for evening drinks if we go out , we can spend £70 on a meal out for five of us , so quite a bargain :beer:

Hope everyone is having a good bank hol :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Alchemilla
    Hello. How is the capsule wardrobe working out?
  • newgirly
    Hi alchemilla :) its FANTASTIC! I have since bought and extra maxi dress and camisole which also blends in but is summery. I always have something to wear and feel much smarter, I really wish I did it years ago , are you going to start a capsule wardrobe ?

On slightly less frugal matters i have finally rung Disney as we were due to pay the balance on the summer holiday we are now not going on, but of course I had a look online first and found a great deal for Halloween this year. It is a favourite time of year for us and we often have parties and dress up , so I may have rung dh and asked if he would pay out of his money which he should be soon getting :o , and after a little sighing he said yes. :j however between getting the quote and booking I had to drop dd at the theatre meeting she had , in that time the price went up £70 :eek: as dh is also out tonight I made e executive decision to just pay it anyway, apparently the price goes up the more they sell :(

I could have waited it out but thought it's probably more likely to go up even more. So it's done and we are going abroad for only the second time ever as family :D
  • Alchemilla
    I might like a capsule wardrobe but as my fave colours are red and purple I might just look like a clown...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback