telephone banking number
    telephone banking memorable place
    telephone banking memorable word
    2 x security questions
    app memorable question
    app banking password
    2 app security questions - only asks if changing password
    digital secure keyword password

I am somewhat overwhelmed by all that stuff and was told that if i cancelled the switch then my old bank account would still be closed

am I unreasonable for wanting things to be simpler? I get that it needs to be secure but 12 different things? really?

i'm generally a bit non plussed by the process but accept it's probably my fault for expecting things to be simple

harrumph
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A man's gotta do.............

Not worth it for £150? And another £50 for sticking it out?
  • yeah I'll ride out the 50 days and then look to switch again maybe (although they are probably all just as bad as each other)

I forgot also that i set up a voice recognition password thingame
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    grintricha wrote: »
    yeah I'll ride out the 50 days and then look to switch again maybe (although they are probably all just as bad as each other)

I forgot also that i set up a voice recognition password thingame

If you don't bother with phone banking and the app then you cut down the number of things to remember significantly.

Online banking requires a username (which you can set), a word, then a passcode generated when you enter a PIN (your choice) into a keyfob. If you are ok with online banking and can remember three things then everything else can be forgotten.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    EachPenny wrote: »
    If you don't bother with phone banking and the app then you cut down the number of things to remember significantly.

Online banking requires a username (which you can set), a word, then a passcode generated when you enter a PIN (your choice) into a keyfob. If you are ok with online banking and can remember three things then everything else can be forgotten.

The username can also be set to be remembered on your own computer, so only two things to remember which suits me fine. I've not bothered with the app and only phoned them for the switch.

The regular saver access is useful, and I've just complete the cashback offer on the debit card which was an easy £30.

I wouldn't have it as a main account but it's fine as an additional.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    bigadaj wrote: »
    The regular saver access is useful, and I've just complete the cashback offer on the debit card which was an easy £30.

I wouldn't have it as a main account but it's fine as an additional.
    I agree, I find the website 'clunky' and unresponsive, but representative of the bank as a whole. I also dislike their selective approach towards new customers, but I wouldn't let my principles get in the way of making a little money out of them ;)

Without the regular saver though it would be my next current account to be switched or closed.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • I currently have a current account and cash ISA (believe £20,000) however the interest is poor and I'm looking to put into a higher current account. My question is would I transfer my isa into my current account and do a switch or do I need to do this a different way? I also want to set up a Help to Buy once I get my head around my current account. Any help would be appreciated, thanks
  • Sorry I mean 'below £20,000'!
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    bigadaj wrote: »

Did you get the duplicitous 'simply keep using your card..' email that tried to get you to misunderstand that the offer continued?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Holly_24 wrote: »
    I currently have a current account and cash ISA (believe £20,000) however the interest is poor and I'm looking to put into a higher current account. My question is would I transfer my isa into my current account and do a switch or do I need to do this a different way? I also want to set up a Help to Buy once I get my head around my current account. Any help would be appreciated, thanks
    Holly_24 wrote: »
    Sorry I mean 'below £20,000'!

Its not entirely clear what you're trying to do:cool: but...

Your cash ISA and your current account are entirely separate issues. If you want to switch your current account, my advice would be to make sure your existing current account meets all the requirements for your switch bonus, if there is one, such as the number of DDs etc.

Then, open your new current account and arrange for the switch to go ahead. Once you're happy that the new account is fully functioning, then move your cash ISA savings into it or wherever else is paying the best interest.

It is always recommended you have at least 2 current accounts, with different banks, just in case there is ever an issue with systems failing, cards being declined etc.

If you give some more details, such as existing current account, proposed new current account, amount in ISA etc, we can help.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback