Forumite
edited 2 November 2010 at 1:53PM in Credit cards
This thread is to specifically discuss the content of the

Best Cashback Credit Cards Article

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Former MSE team member

Comments

• Hello,
    Why the new thread? The other one still appears up and running!
    OMM
    Tough times never last longer than tough people.
  • eker
    eker Posts: 8 Forumite
    The "Quick Stats" footnote for Amex Platinum on Martin's "Cashback Credit Cards" page will need to be amended. Ditto the "How much will I earn with Amex Platinum?" calculator.

:exclamati From 1st November 2008, it looks as though changes to the T&C will mean that no cashback will be paid if the annual spend falls below £2,400, although new customers need only spend as little as £240 in the year to qualify, provided they do it within the promotional 3-month period.

See amended Terms & Conditions, [new] item 17.3.5
    "No rebate payment will be made if, in the 12 months preceding your Card Anniversary Date, the amount of rebate earned totals less than £12."

MSE site's text will need to read:

Quick Stats: Intro Cashback. 5% for 3 months on up to £4,000. Standard Cashback. 0% below £2,400/year. 0.5% on £2,400 to £3,500/year, 1% on £3,500 to £10k/year and 1.5% above that. Min. Salary Requirement: £20,000 Maximum cashback/year: NO MAXIMUM
    Eking out the cards we are dealt :)
  • dov
    dov Posts: 211
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    eker - you still get the rebate for all the money from 0 to £3500 but only if you spend >£2400, or more accurately you generate >=£12 of cashback. So they should just add at end 'No cashback if rebate < £12' or something to that effect.
  • eker
    eker Posts: 8 Forumite
    You're right - the 0.5% rate applies to the whole range of £0 to £3,500 but only if the spend reaches £2,400 (existing customers); below that, the rate is 0%.

I agree with your suggested amendment - forget mine!

Sorry for any confusion.
    Eking out the cards we are dealt :)
  • I've currently got a Barclarcard which doesn't give me any cashback, but I have been using for most purchases, then I pay this in full every month. I've also got a 0% interest card which expires in February 2009.

If I apply for an Amex Platinum 5% cashback card, then again for a 0% interest card in the next few months, will this effect my credit rating?

Ray
  • Hi. New to this lark, so please be kind!
    Has anyone had an Amex 5% cashback card for a year, pocketed the cashback, cancelled the card and then successfully applied again for a new 5% cashback card?
    Ageing is inevitable - maturing is optional :p
  • Since this is a continuation of the old thread, shouldn't it be a 'sticky' like the last one? MSE Dan?
  • Just wondering if anybody has recently applied for the 2% Food and Fuel cashback card from HBOS.
    http://www.bankofscotlandhalifax.co.uk/creditcards/cashback_4.asp

You don't seem to be able to navigate to this version of the card anymore, but you can seem to be able to apply for this card by using the direct link.

Today I phoned up about this card for 2 reasons
    1. I already have a BOS card
    2. The card is not avaiable online (without the direct link)

The answer to 1. was different to what I had stated earlier on the old cashback card thread in that you can hold up to 5 Halifax/BOS credit cards at one time as long as they are different types of card, i.e 1 cachback card, 1 balance transfer card, etc, and you cannot balance transfer between them either.

He did not have an answer to 2, as the 2% card is an online only application, but he tried out the link and said it would seem you can still apply for that.
    So my question is - Has anyone recently successfully applied for this card by using the direct link? I do not want to use a credit search unneccesarily.

BTW YorkshireBoy, thanks for pointing me in the right direction regarding transferring MBNA credit limits. Just opened up a Virgin card and transferred all but £500 credit limit from the old MBNA card to the new Virgin card.
  • Hello,

I am thinking of getting the AMEX card now in the run up to Christmas and doing all of my normal spending on it, as well as xmas expenses (paying off in full each month of course!)

A few questions given my situation which is - single, 24, no mortgage, no CCs, paying off student loan through salary, have accessed one credit report which says my bank accounts and mobile phone contract are satisfactory, there doesn't seem to be anything else amiss on there. I also earn a few hundred over to minimum £20k wage, although i think this says household income and as I live with parents, would this be combined anyway (?)

-Is this a good choice of first credit card, which will hopefully improve my credit rating and make me a bit of cash over xmas?
    -How likely is it that my application will be accepted? I have recently had a search on file from opening new current account which has a small £400 overdraft which I don't need, but is 0% so may come in handy.
    - I am awaiting application forms in the post for new ISA from Natwest, and will also be required to open another account to bounce any overpayments of ISA into, will these require credit checks, and if so is it worth holding off the CC application?
    -I'm not a huge spender, being a keen money saver! My average monthly spend on this card is likely to be £200-250, mostly made up of petrol, but of course this will be more leading up to xmas, but is it still as good a card as any to start on?
    - If I do go for this one, is there some kind of cash back site I can click through to get some cash from that too? I don't use these at the moment but might start and would like to know the best site to do this with.

Sorry about the multitude of questions!!

Hope somebody can help, I'm desperately trying to combat my ignorance and apathy which makes other people so much money, and none for me!
    NST September: SFD 17/20, food £62.87/£60, travel £61.55/£40, Outings £39.80/£100, Allotment £7.17/£30 Other: £42.32, Meditation ?/30.
    NOT BUYING IT! 2015 - A Consumer Holiday.
  • JesseJames wrote: »
    Just wondering if anybody has recently applied for the 2% Food and Fuel cashback card from HBOS.
    http://www.bankofscotlandhalifax.co.uk/creditcards/cashback_4.asp

You don't seem to be able to navigate to this version of the card anymore, but you can seem to be able to apply for this card by using the direct link.

Today I phoned up about this card for 2 reasons
    1. I already have a BOS card
    2. The card is not avaiable online (without the direct link)

The answer to 1. was different to what I had stated earlier on the old cashback card thread in that you can hold up to 5 Halifax/BOS credit cards at one time as long as they are different types of card, i.e 1 cachback card, 1 balance transfer card, etc, and you cannot balance transfer between them either.

He did not have an answer to 2, as the 2% card is an online only application, but he tried out the link and said it would seem you can still apply for that.
    So my question is - Has anyone recently successfully applied for this card by using the direct link? I do not want to use a credit search unneccesarily.

BTW YorkshireBoy, thanks for pointing me in the right direction regarding transferring MBNA credit limits. Just opened up a Virgin card and transferred all but £500 credit limit from the old MBNA card to the new Virgin card.

I didn't know about this 2% cashback credit card, so many thanks for pointing it out to me. I applied on line this morning (Sat) at 8 o'clock in the morning and had no problems with the link at all.
    Good luck.
    Ageing is inevitable - maturing is optional :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family