Vent: Royal Mail "returned to sender"

2»

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It may well not have been RM that originally opened the letter as it could have been delivered to the address on it and then opened by the person living there.

Yes that was my first thought.

OP how do you that it was RM that opened the letter, does it say that on it?. That sticker on the back could be put on every letter.
    It could have been that the new people in the house opened the letter and saw it wasn't for them and decided it should be returned so that you know.
    Or maybe the person you contacted wanted to read the letter but wanted you to think they have moved away for some reason.
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    takman wrote: »
    OP how do you that it was RM that opened the letter, does it say that on it?. That sticker on the back could be put on every letter.

It's clear from the original post that the item was delivered back to them in a Royal Mail envelope, which had an address put on the envelope corresponding with what had been written on the inside of the item. This would only happen if the item had been sent to Belfast to be opened. The delay of several weeks to return the item also indicates that it was sent to Belfast to be opened, otherwise it would have been returned a lot quicker - usually a day or two.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The likelihood is the letter was put in the wrong bag at the original delivery office.
    Simple as that. So it went to Belfast and they likely open items as a matter of course.
    Belfast mail is direct and goes straight through,vs RTS items going through the mail system.
  • You don't know the content of the letter which they opened.

The service provided was paid for.

Respect? Respect for my private correspondence?

Yes have some respect, they are not your slaves, they work very hard and instead of complaining you should follow the correct and proper procedures when posting letter.

I thank you
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Yes have some respect, they are not your slaves, they work very hard and instead of complaining you should follow the correct and proper procedures when posting letter.

I thank you

It seems from the information given that it was Royal Mail, rather than the OP, who failed to follow correct procedure.
  • Remember the Royal Mail service and its hard working team of post men and women are not a god given right to you so you should treat each and everyone of them with respect.

So puttup or shaddup
    ;-)
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    daytona0 wrote: »
    The only beef I've got is that the whole situation arose because YOU sent a letter to an address which you didn't know was correct or not

Actually, the fault is entirely that of the recipient who moved house without telling everyone or putting a redirection in place. That's quite a common failing. No fault to the person sending a letter because the default must be to use the last known address if they've not been told any different.

If the recipient has suffered any loss of privacy or there's any security concern it is entirely of their own making. The sender has done nothing wrong - they put a return address on it so that it wouldn't be opened to find the sender's details and would be returned if not delivered. Royal Mail are wrong in opening a letter that had a return address on it.

So, in reality, the sender is the innocent party. Both the intended recipient and Royal Mail are to blame for any consequences.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    According to this page undelivered items are held for 18 calendar days before looking for a return address

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7171/~/what-happens-next-to-undelivered-mail%3F
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    sheramber wrote: »
    According to this page undelivered items are held for 18 calendar days before looking for a return address

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7171/~/what-happens-next-to-undelivered-mail%3F

The item wasn't undelivered. It was delivered and then returned to sender.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Pennywise wrote: »
    Actually, the fault is entirely that of the recipient who moved house without telling everyone or putting a redirection in place. That's quite a common failing. No fault to the person sending a letter because the default must be to use the last known address if they've not been told any different.

If the recipient has suffered any loss of privacy or there's any security concern it is entirely of their own making. The sender has done nothing wrong - they put a return address on it so that it wouldn't be opened to find the sender's details and would be returned if not delivered. Royal Mail are wrong in opening a letter that had a return address on it.

So, in reality, the sender is the innocent party. Both the intended recipient and Royal Mail are to blame for any consequences.

I'm sorry but that is nonsense!

Basically what you are saying is that when you move you should set up a lifetime redirection service, and tell everyone you have ever known your new address, even if you haven't spoken to them for a good length of time? Just on the off chance at some point one of them may send you a letter?

And maybe the recipient just didn't like the OP so had no intention of giving them their new address!

Anyway back on topic, OP have you tried looking them up online to see if you can find a new address for them? Obviously if they have a fairly common name that might be more difficult.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure