Asking pip to look at award again

Hi all, my OH was awarded pip in June last year and last week he called to ask to have his award look at again to see if he was entitled to more as his disability has worsened over the last 4 months.

Pip have sent a form out, he has 4 weeks to reply, what happens if he doesn’t reply? Can he call pip and say he doesn’t want to have it looked at again as he is worried they will take his current pip award away. (Current award has been awarded for 10 years)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• fryedslyce
    fryedslyce Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 17 February 2018 at 10:14PM
    By reporting that your condition had worsened, you triggered the process and it can't now be reversed. You need to fill in the form including all medical evidence and return it.
    You'll probably get a face to face assessment and that will determine your new award, it might be more or less than you get now, if the assessment goes really badly you might not score enough points for any award.

Still there's always the tribunal option if the worst happens.
  • What would happen if I don’t send the form back? Will my current award be cancelled?
  • Almost certainly.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    What would happen if I don’t send the form back? Will my current award be cancelled?
    Yes without any doubts. Changes were reported and now the form has be filled in and returned. You do risk losing everything you already have because they will look at the whole award again. It could also stay the same or be increased. Evidence will be needed to support the claim, like the first time. Another assessment will most likely be needed.
  • Thank you for all your replies, do I need to submit the evidence I submitted on my initial claim form back in June or do I just send new evidence
  • The evidence sent in June plus anything new, what was his original award for i.e what rate of care/mobility ?
  • I'm aware that 10 year is the maximum you can get on PIP, and no indefinite awards like on DLA. But after those years are up, even though no change , which you say on the renewal form. Say, you have a life long condition that will not improve. Thats it. Do you seriously have to keep sending in more evidence in every 10 years? How can you do that, if you have a condition that wont change. There is nothing to update, so to speak. Do you have to get a letter off your GP?. It's utterly absurd if thats the case.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    posiepye wrote: »
    I'm aware that 10 year is the maximum you can get on PIP, and no indefinite awards like on DLA. But after those years are up, even though no change , which you say on the renewal form. Say, you have a life long condition that will not improve. Thats it. Do you seriously have to keep sending in more evidence in every 10 years? How can you do that, if you have a condition that wont change. There is nothing to update, so to speak. Do you have to get a letter off your GP?. It's utterly absurd if thats the case.
    Yes, with a 10 year award the review would be 9 years. A lot of people have life long conditions that won't improve but everyone has to have reviews. Many people have awards far less than the maximum 10 years. Old evidence can be sent, as well as letters from someone that knows you well, a diary can also be used.

This thread isn't about reviews, the OP reported a change of circumstances. Always risky!
  • poppy12345 wrote: »
    the OP reported a change of circumstances. Always risky!

Yes I agree. It is just not worth the aggravation. Hopfully someone will look into this whole PIP process in future and apply some basic common sense to it.
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    You are in a similar position to me. Unfortunately I only get awards for three years and they review if after two years. Like you my particular problems will never improve but go worse with time. I get the enhanced for care and mobility so no matter how bad I get they can never increase my award.
    But yes you do have to keep on proving your case every time it is reviewed. I was warned that the DWP will NOT consider any evidence that is older than twenty four months from when you had the last decision, it seems that they treat all reviews as they were completely new claims. I presume that if you send evidence older than two years in they might think that your problems have changed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure