Gaming laptop?

My other half has a big birthday coming up and I'd love to be able to get him a gaming laptop, whilst knowing that these typically run to mega bucks particularly in comparison to PCs of similar specs. I'm also not particularly hardware savvy so I don't know what I could compromise on and what should be a priority.

Example games he plays; Overwatch, WoW, Ark, GTA and many many more - I think they're all fairly intense on the graphics side.

Would it even be feasible/worthwhile under £1000?

Comments

• You can check best buy and other online stores. If it says it's a gaming laptop you should look for the model and year it came out. Of course the most recent are from last year and this year. Type in search box "Best gaming laptops 2018" and it'll sure give you many search results you can check out.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Zandy_23 wrote: »
    You can check best buy and other online stores. If it says it's a gaming laptop you should look for the model and year it came out. Of course the most recent are from last year and this year. Type in search box "Best gaming laptops 2018" and it'll sure give you many search results you can check out.

Best Buy arent in the UK so any stock they sell may well not be sold in the UK or even be a different model.
  • wazza99
    wazza99 Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes you can get one for <£1000, start by looking for ones with an i7 processor, dedicated graphics card and 8-16gb ram. The 1st two items invariably can not be upgraded the latter usually can though check as there will be limits.
  • electic
    electic Posts: 40 Forumite
    Personally I’m very pleased with my Dell Inspiron 15 7577, which was under £1000. Might be worth taking a look, though I don’t play those specific games so can’t comment on performance.
  • For playing games such as GTA 5 in decent graphics you'll need at least a gtx 1060 graphics card you could get a lower cost one but this would quickly become outdated. Processor wise if its for gaming an i5 will get by fine.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Medion have two both under £800. Mine is the lowest grade gamer they had at the time (not bought for gaming,though) and it was under £700,as well as having a 17" screen and SSD.

They often change models ,then sell off the others with large discounts. Stock is always changing but I think they are good value (the standard one I'm using for this is over 5years old and its only problem is the letters wearing off the keyboard.)
  • DavidT67
    DavidT67 Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As others have said spend the most you can on CPU (i7 / i9), graphics card (NVidia 10 series) and memory (8-16GB), plus an NVRAMe or SSD disk. In laptop format this is likely to exceed £1200.

I've a Dell Inspiron 15 with NVidia graphics card, but it isn't a gaming laptop and struggles to maintain frame rate on Ark, Fortnite, Call of Duty, etc.

Look at the Gaming specific brands such as Razer, Alienware and Omen.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    connor2307 wrote: »
    For playing games such as GTA 5 in decent graphics you'll need at least a gtx 1060 graphics card you could get a lower cost one but this would quickly become outdated. Processor wise if its for gaming an i5 will get by fine.

My 5 year old gaming laptop with a 770 plays GTAV with solid 60fps and high settings
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure