Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• just be grateful that he's letting you be involved.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Yes we are grateful INOD, especially as he normally doesn't tell us ANYTHING.

I think he realised he was a bit out of his depth this time though, as it's quite complicated and he's never done anything like it before :).
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Has it been booked? Glad he has told you, and you can help him do it.

I put my tree up last night and waiting for the little one to get up now and see it. She will be so excited.

Glad the walk helped you feel better x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Yes it's all booked Nicnak, gulp :eek:. I'm pleased for him and terrified all at the same time :o. I hope your liitle one loves the tree, they're so cute at that age :).

Today's plan is my usual wander around the charity shops and my latte treat :D. I'll look in on the Christmas market but I can't usually afford to buy anyrhing there.

Our Christmas wreath for the front door fell apart last year, so I'm going to treat us to a new one if I can find a reasonably priced one that I like.

Then I'm going to come home and put up the Christmas lights. We have berry lights around the picture rail in the living room, icicle lights in the hall and flashing lights around the top of the kitchen walls :D. I love Christmas :xmastree::xmassmile
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Reb2016
    Reb2016 Posts: 176 Forumite
    Your Christmas lights sound lovely HH, i’m currently curled up on the sofa (having a sofa day), looking at my lovely tree and all it’s lights ���� .

You never know the trip to the USA might really help your DS2 knowing that he has done something like that successfully could be a boost to his confidence, i’m not suggesting it’s going to be a cure, as it sounds like his problems are a lot more complicated than that, but it might just give him a small boost, and something to remind him in more difficult times of just what he is capable of. I do hope he keeps in regular touch with you while he is there.

Hope you have a relaxing weekend, and get to build your energy back.

Reb
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Eeeekkkk to DS going away HHOD, I'm sure he will have a great time though.

Hope you enjoyed your shopping/coffee trip. I hate trimming up but like it once its done ha!!! xx
    Mummytogirls x

• Reb2016 wrote: »
    Your Christmas lights sound lovely HH, i’m currently curled up on the sofa (having a sofa day), looking at my lovely tree and all it’s lights ���� .

You never know the trip to the USA might really help your DS2 knowing that he has done something like that successfully could be a boost to his confidence, i’m not suggesting it’s going to be a cure, as it sounds like his problems are a lot more complicated than that, but it might just give him a small boost, and something to remind him in more difficult times of just what he is capable of. I do hope he keeps in regular touch with you while he is there.

Hope you have a relaxing weekend, and get to build your energy back.

Reb

I think you're right Reb, it could do his confidence a lot of good, which will make him feel more positive about himself.

Enjoy your lovely Christmas tree :).
    Eeeekkkk to DS going away HHOD, I'm sure he will have a great time though.

Hope you enjoyed your shopping/coffee trip. I hate trimming up but like it once its done ha!!! xx

Thanks MTG. I hate putting up the decs too, but I love it when they're up :).
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 December 2017 at 6:05PM
    I enjoyed my shopping trip although it was heaving, with long queues:eek:.

I looked at wreaths in M&S and they were £40 :eek::eek:, so I found a really nice one in the charity shop for £7.50 :D.

I bought a Nike hoody for DH to give me for Christmas (reduced to £37.99 from £47.99). I also bought a smart winter coat which I needed as I only have a casual one. It was £47 but when I took it to the till it had been reduced to £34.50 :T.

Apart from that I spent £2.20 on the bus, £2.65 on coffee snd £6.32 on bananas, satsumas and fruit pots in Mr T.

Since I got home I've got out all the Christmas decorations, hung up the advent calendars, put up the lights in the living room and hall, and put the wreath on the front door. It looks very nice :rudolf:.

I'm just having a rest now before I put the berry lights up the living room. I feel like I've been up and down the step ladder a hundred times already :eek:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Great news on your bargains :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,245 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I got a lovely wreath from Homesense for £8. Sounds like you've had a busy and productive day day. Well done with the bargains and decorations.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure