2017 - Spend less, live more

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    open house London 16-17th Sept

I've just boon browsing the above, which is an annual event where lots of buildings are opened up to the public to let them see areas which they may otherwise never get to see. Entry is normally free so it will be a cheap day out.

https://openhouselondon.open-city.org.uk

Just in case anyone else in interested.
  • chanie
    I've just saved myself £20. Dds birthday was a couple of weeks ago and the presents we bought her are currently on sale, so I repurchased them and returned them with the old receipt. When I told OH what I was planning on doing, he did question how much is be using in petrol, but I said its still £15+ - which we could put towards decorating the children's bedrooms!
  • chanie
    Right, I’m back.

My focus going forward is gong to be our grocery bill. We mainly shop in Lidl and our bill seems to have shot up to £80, but we don’t seem to have anything to show for that.

On the plus side, we’ve nearly finished DS bedroom and it cost under £100, which was paint and soft furnishings. We are going to finish up this weekend and start on Dds room next. This is going to cost a bit more, as we need to get some new furniture and soft furnishings, so I think it will be about £200ish. I want to get both rooms finished for the beginning of December, so the children will be settled in time to enjoy the Christmas season.
  • chanie
    paying for convenience

This is something I’m doing at the moment and although I’m quite happy with the decisions we’ve made, we are definitely paying for it.

We’ve had to get DS some extra tuition. DS really liked the more expensive option , as the made it fun for him. I liked the flexibility, as it’s a tuition Centre, so we can go whoever we feel like it. There was a cheaper option, but it was more rigid and it just didn’t fit into our lifestyles.

Likewise, we’ve signed up for private swimming lessons, which are triple the price of the ones at the local leisure centre, under the Council. But, the groups are much smaller and it’s parking is much easier.

I’m someone who doesn’t often pay for convenience, so it’s a difficult concept for me. Time will tell whether it’s worth it.
  • Morning Chanie.

I think sometimes you have to go with what works best for you as a family and think about dynamics and how it impacts other things even if it costs more, For example tutoring if your son is happy then he will be more inclined to remain focused and want to learn what he is being taught, so will stick at it and not become bored. Swimming lessons again may be better in a smaller group and your children may actually pick it up quicker and therefore require fewer lessons, saving money in the long run.
    Sorry i'm rambling but what i'm trying to say is do what is best for you and your family.
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • chanie
    I must admit, I have felt the benefit today. I took DS to his tuition today and he was happy to go! DS is an introvert and would rather sit at home than be out and about, so sometimes, it’s difficult to get him to do anything, even stuff he enjoys. I’m going to take advantage of his enthusiasm whilst it lasts.
  • chanie
    Paying for convenience part 2

OH called me at work to say our boiler wasn’t working. We have a plan which covers the boiler, electrics and plumbing, but it’s quite expensive. What with having two primary school aged children and two full time working parents, it’s worth it. We called up the company and they managed to get someone round in two hours (I think we were just really lucky on this occasion). Phew!

We need to start to tighten our belts now. Although OH is now working full time, out childcare bill has increased. In addition, we have to pay for DS tuition and swimming lessons, so that’s quite a hefty chunk of money we have to find. We should be okay, but will need to reign in the spending.
  • Glad you managed to get the boiler sorted quickly, especially as its getting colder.

Take care x
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • chanie
    Today, I found some coins on the pavement just outside our front gate. I found 18p plus 10 cents (€ not $). It was all 1p and 2ps, so it felt like loads. Very bizarre, but a nice surprise.

I also made an Xmas pudding this weekend. This is the first time I’ve made one. I chose a recipe that didn’t need too many ingredients. Lidl had some fruits soaked in brandy, which I thought was cheaper than buying a bottle of brandy. I did struggle with buying suet, as I had no idea where to look for it in the supermarket.

My next challenge is to make a wreath. I’ve never buy them, but want to give it a go and see how I get on.
  • Sounds as though your getting into the Christmas spirit Chanie, I never make Christmas pud as I'm the only one in the family that eats eat, so we have sticky toffee pudding instead.

Well done on finding the coins, it all adds up.

xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure