Joined 31.05.16

Comments

• Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Good luck, set yourself mini targets my advice. I started over 13K not quite at the end of the road yet. Hold onto your friends, just try cheaper nights out, just drinks? Need some fun along the debt busting journey. I am probably same as you push guys away until debt is gone and love my house bit too much. However friends drag you out and you need someone to whine to lol.
    I tend to do 100 day challenge(on debt free challenges board) and set myself a target like that. Join in the fun.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
  • mummy2threeboys
    mummy2threeboys Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hello sweetie. Well done on posting. xx
    I have noticed a few things you can cut down on, mayeb this could be considered, sorry if I am over stepping the line.
    Charity £25 donation. You are in quite a bit of debt, so how about can you donate your time instead, you get to meet new people too.x

Beauty..almost £90 a month on beauty. (Haircut devided into 3) Instead of waxing how about getting a good razor and shaving. i use gillete venus and it's as good as a wax , do it every other day n the shower. I don't buy make up now, just live on freebie samples and what I have, also free makeovers at the counters. I quite like poundland make up, it's done well in reviews. Theres a fab board thingy on here called Buy no new toiletries or something:rotfl: Thats quite a cool thread.

Teeth, can you use an NHs, or do you have teeth whiting? If so I would swap to nhs and use home bleaching, although I don't use them kits. I have used the whiting gel sticks (again poundland) and whiting toothpaste. Seems to help.

Once you get into it your mind set really changes. Material things are not important, your health (Money troubles are often a cause of depression) .
    I agree gets your friends round, what about organising a bring and sawp at your house, they bring stuff they don't want and you donate you all swap. Some wine and nibbles, cheap night and new clothes ..obviously only works if someone is the same size lol
    Or cinema when on 2 for 1 tickets and a coffee instead of meal afterwards? take your own snacks in?

my mantra is I may love nice things, but I can't afford to be picky. But really you can still do great things and have fun, just your idea of a treat changes. One step at a time.
    Go see if there is anything you can list clothes or books, dvds?
    Wishing you the best of luck. :heart:
    Compers challenge 27/70
    £1805/2018
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Poor_Single_lady Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you so much for all advice. Honestly not overstepping the line at all, it's quite brutal in my head so all advice appreciated. And I listen to it all.
    I could arrange a few social nights. I take the point friends are important but I kind of feel like I do better on my own. Will see how it goes.

The thing with the leg waxing is that it is a real lift. It makes me feel much better about myself and I hope this isn't tmi but my legs are so revolting naturally I honestly need to wax, exfoliate, moisturise just to feel normal. I could cancel it but I would be too sad. Especially being single.

The dentist cost is because my teeth are difficult to clean because of movement so its a full hygienist appointment to correct this. Honestly it is essential but totally annoying. It is nhs but just a pain.
    Just had chicken nuggets and waffles for tea. Curry tomorrow, although the amount defrosting looks massive so possibly 2 meals there.

Spent £3 on glass of wine, then my brother paid so I owe him for a few drinks and for a previous ticket so feel a bit scoogy until I sort that.paid council tax today £95 but its done till next month.

Had nice time, home for the day. Tomorrow is friday, should be sober and non-expensive and meals are sorted.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Today had a crisp craving so bought some and milk for fridge. Its not good but I couldn't fight it. Gave my parents £75 payment for the month and instantly felt less stressed out. Bought fathers day card. Home for the day now. Credit card payment £36 going out on monday so all steady for the weekend.
    My friend is unexpectedly newly single so going out tommorow to try cheer her up.hopefully not too expensive. Sunday need to get train ticket and organise lunches for work. Only 2 this week as have plans for 3 of the days. Will be better on this the rest of month. Phew! Going to stay in tonight and watch my love films, im off today. Just watched the pointless contestants win £9K so now cheering on the eggheads.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Thank you so much for all advice. Honestly not overstepping the line at all, it's quite brutal in my head so all advice appreciated. And I listen to it all.
    I could arrange a few social nights. I take the point friends are important but I kind of feel like I do better on my own. Will see how it goes.

The thing with the leg waxing is that it is a real lift. It makes me feel much better about myself and I hope this isn't tmi but my legs are so revolting naturally I honestly need to wax, exfoliate, moisturise just to feel normal. I could cancel it but I would be too sad. Especially being single.

The dentist cost is because my teeth are difficult to clean because of movement so its a full hygienist appointment to correct this. Honestly it is essential but totally annoying. It is nhs but just a pain.
    Just had chicken nuggets and waffles for tea. Curry tomorrow, although the amount defrosting looks massive so possibly 2 meals there.

Spent £3 on glass of wine, then my brother paid so I owe him for a few drinks and for a previous ticket so feel a bit scoogy until I sort that.paid council tax today £95 but its done till next month.

Had nice time, home for the day. Tomorrow is friday, should be sober and non-expensive and meals are sorted.

If it makes you feel better then just stay with it, it's important too.

Here's hoping you manage a non expensive weekend.

Dxxx
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 June 2016 at 11:38PM
    Hi :wave:

I added 80 for food, 100 for entertainment/holidays/gifts, 50 for saving>emergency fund, 50 for clothes and beauty. That leaves you with $£150 for over payments. This is over and above what you have allocated for OP. You could put 100 toward toward your CC with the highest % rate and give yourself a £50 cushion until payday.

You might figure out how much you are spending on food monthly, including take aways. This is generally a great place to start tightening up your monthly budget. All the lunches (if you don't bring your lunch to work) coffees, snacks and TAs etc really add up.:eek:

If you pay £250 to your 18% CC you would have it paid off in about 12 months.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • GoingToDoIt
    GoingToDoIt Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi PSGirl,
    I think you're on the right track with starting a diary, you will find loads of advice and also support on here. We all started out at some point and none of us are :A there are always setbacks and changes but also achievements and encouragement.
    As you get more into the forum you can get into different ways to save money, right now I am earning with survey sites, selling on bay of e and rinsing topc@shback and I "dropped a brand level" on some shopping. That sounds like a load of activities but I've built that up over months I didn't start them all at once, the main thing is to try things and see what works (so many other things have fallen by the wayside - NSD's, wombling, weekly cash in my purse)
    You'll find what works for you.
    I know that being single and going out in London is tough, plenty of times I have lied to friend A I will be along for drinks, after a meal, as I am seeing friend B first, just to avoid paying for both a meal and drinks as I couldn't afford both.
    At the end of the day your real friends will be happy enough to have a £12 N@ndos with you if you're a bit broke!!!!:rotfl:
    Good luck
    Gonna
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
    Jan 20 0%cc debt 7700/7700
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hello. Thank you so much everybody for all the support and help. I love it that people are taking time to help me and read my boring diary. I do read all of it and think about it all.

I have to go out tonight, monday and tuesday but sunday, friday and possibly wed and thur and next sat are empty so could be spend free.

Usually go to sainsbury or tesco (or both) on saturday but went to market today. I have to say in all.honesty for a single person I didn't think it was great value but I will try it for a few weeks. See how it affects things. Was a bit of a boost to go and see. I might go early next week because it was so busy and aggressive, made Sainsbury's look very tranquil!

Yesterday I ate whole family bag of crisps, (and it was amazing of course). Got just one in the cupboard to last till end of month. No other crisps are to be purchased! House Rule that I must stick to. I've got popcorn and chocolate and fruit, bread, cheese but crisps will be my downfall if I don't stop eating them so leaving this last packet till after pay day. This will help.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Yesterday had 4 cocktails, its probably 1 too many but it was nice to go out. £30 spent. I've got no idea if that's good or bad, seems quite standard for a saturday out. But obviously better avoided. should be the last saturday im out for a while.

No plans today except to buy train ticket. How truly blissful! Going to watch telly and have a long bath. Thank god for small luxuries.
    Spaghetti bol for dinner.

Then work tommorow and dinner with friend in the evening. Need to take lunch in. Its 3 weeks to payday. Im hoping those will be much quieter and go quickly.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'm sure you will have thought of this already but £35 on leg wax can easily be cut by either waxing them yourself or using sugaring.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure