Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I've had several varieties of the "Steamer" Frozen Ready Meals which are back in full force after a Christmas lull, and they've been delicious (I think they must have had a recipe tweak whilst they were away).

Of particular note:-

Aldi Tandoori Chicken (Chicken pieces with a creamy curry sauce, potatoes, peas and other veg).

Lidl Salmon & Dill Pasta (A smallish number of salmon pieces with a creamy dill sauce, pasta, green beans and other veg).

£1.29 in Aldi, £1.49 in Lidl.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,104 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't often venture in here, but Lidl is selling 250g of camembert for 39p. We ended up buying three and still weren't convinced it would go through the till for that, but it did. They're usually over £1.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    More as an aside than anything else, but apparently Aldi are now accepting Amex cards instore (not online).

Good news for anyone using Amex for cashback. :)
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Has anyone bought the sonic toothbrushes from Lidl in the past?

They are in store again next week (Lidl NI) and I'm interested as the replacement heads are so cheap

Any feedback?
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Two little updates:

Lidl are now putting Best Before dates on their produce, instead of codes - falling in line with Aldi. A big improvement.

Aldi are supposed to be taking Amex and the staff have been notified accordingly. Unfortunately, though, the tills think otherwise.
  • Addressing Smodlet, mcculloch29 said:
    You are free to comment where you like, of course.

How very kind of you!
    However, a post on Aldi's policies by someone who does not, and has never, shopped in the store is way off topic on a thread entitled "Good and Bad Buys from Aldi and Lidl.".

Perhaps it escaped your notice but using your own terms, the thread went off topic at reply #2111 when the returns policy was introduced. And the OP may shop at lidls!
    Hopefully we can now return to posting news of the good (and bad buys) from Aldi and Lidl.

is this directed at those who went off topic after #2111 in general or the OP in particular?
    You are perfectly free to start your own thread on the topic of Aldi returns policy, of course, even if it is something you have no apparent personal knowledge of.

Smodlet did not start the discussion on Aldi!!!8217;s returns policy, he simply used the freedom to comment where he likes, to contribute to the off topic part of this thread.

I do apologise for going off topic.
    Abandoned
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Not a Best Buy but has anyone seen the report that half a rat has been found in some frozen Aldi veg ? Apparently Aldi have removed 38,000 packets from their stores but it doesn't say specifically which veg

Really funny that some people are saying "thank goodness I shop at wait rose / Asda / Morrisons etc" without realising that the same processing plant probably does the veg for everyone and just uses different packaging.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Not a Best Buy but has anyone seen the report that half a rat has been found in some frozen Aldi veg ? Apparently Aldi have removed 38,000 packets from their stores but it doesn't say specifically which veg

Really funny that some people are saying "thank goodness I shop at wait rose / Asda / Morrisons etc" without realising that the same processing plant probably does the veg for everyone and just uses different packaging.

Precisely..

There was an incident a few years ago when the factory that made Aldi's Ginger Nuts was closed down on hygiene grounds.

The good result with that, was that Aldi had changed to that supplier, who made a large number of 'value biscuits', from another supplier who made 'proper biscuits'.

Aldi are now using the original supplier, and their Ginger Nuts are once again things of beauty for 25p a pack.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    abandonded wrote: »
    Addressing Smodlet, mcculloch29 said:

How very kind of you!

Perhaps it escaped your notice but using your own terms, the thread went off topic at reply #2111 when the returns policy was introduced. And the OP may shop at lidls!

is this directed at those who went off topic after #2111 in general or the OP in particular?

Smodlet did not start the discussion on Aldi!!!8217;s returns policy, he simply used the freedom to comment where he likes, to contribute to the off topic part of this thread.

I do apologise for going off topic.

Well, thanks for those observations. I stand by what I said.

Your other posts don't indicate that you regularly troll, and do indicate that you are a senior citizen, with perhaps, a lot of time on your hands.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,568 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    In the last couple of weeks I've noticed that my total bill in Aldi seems to have jumped up.

I can analyse odd extras I've bought or individual items that have increased in price but I've done that before without such an effect. I really need to get some old receipts out to check why.

In the past two weeks my Aldi bill has been the highest ever.

Is it just me?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport