PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    mavvymoo wrote: »
    Thank you for the vote of confidence on the KM front.:)
    I think it maybe a case of do as I say not as I do :o

I was thinking about the areas KM has helped me the most and I think the biggest thing is I really no longer care what anyone thinks :rotfl:I just dont even try to justify anything anymore. I cant listen to anyone making excuses for anyone either and will always pull them up on it and then change the subject ;)

I no longer waste any time on this type rubbish :D

My head is far clearer then its ever been and if people dont like me then so what I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

I can always find things no matter what it is or when the last time I saw it was.

I do now find the joy in the small things a butterfly going past,the colours on a dragonfly, The chickens digging up the flowerbeds making dust holes and the sheer bliss on their faces as the dust scatters all over them.

I never worry about the things I cant change but do change the things that worry me and I can do
    something about. So therefore never worry about anything no matter what :D
    Thank you iTwin for this one you were so so right :)

Its like I have peace in my head (how strange does that sound):rotfl:

So thank you all of you for your thoughts and actions on KM you can get here but I truly think you never get to the final station along that long line as its never quite finished you get off the train have a wonder round whatever place you arrived at and then get back on again and keep repeating this over and over. But everytime you get off you learn a bit more about yourself :T

Mav x

Mavvy, I agreed totally:T :T :T

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Pulled things off the kitchen and bedroom bookcases and given some items a new home. Nothing actually kondoed as yet but there are lots of annoying piles everywhere so plan to get stuck in tomorrow.

Tax return done online today so last things going into box tomorrow so it can be put into loft by friend on Wednesday.

Am sooo glad didn't buy the clothes last week. Have been wearing things which were MIA in the overstocked wardrobe previously and are very suitable for the current warm weather. Much nicer to wear than the old baggy stuff would normally be wearing. Also happy to keep the money that would have been spent in my bank account.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • So have been AWOL for a while. RL been a hectic and all over the place at the moment. DH has not been well and currently not working, so all hands on deck in our house.

Garden weeded and mowed and tidied and that is about it.

A few things have gone to CS and a few bits and pieces in the bin that I wasn't able to recycle.

Have been trying to keep up with the thread and everyone is doing well so especially Mavvymoo. I am aiming for the same piece of mind that you have achieved.

Hope that the kittens, cats, all pets and humans are doing well.

Studying has started again so will be dipping in and out.

Am enjoying all the tales, however briefly at GQ's parental home.

SILx
  • dragonette
    dragonette Posts: 879 Forumite
    I'm def up for kondoing weight! I seem to be completely failing at that aspect so far and I need to get rid of some tummy fat at the very least as I now have an elective surgery coming up.

Thankfully if I need help during recovery then I know where everything is and can direct helpers in great detail if needed :rotfl: 'X is in the leftmost cupboard, upper shelf on the right side'
    :AStarting again on my own this time!! - Defective flylady! :A
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I would like to publicly set the end of Sept 2016 as the latest date for kondoing my wardrobe. I've put it off for at least 18 months with the excuse that I was going to declutter some lbs so that stuff actually fits me again. That still hasn't happened (if anything, the reverse is true :o) Too proud to buy clothes for my current size that I don't wish to be, I am in the ludicrous situation of having a wardrobe busting at the seams with clothes I cannot wear. No more! 8 weeks to shift the lbs, or clear out and start again for the weight and shape that I am.

Anyone wish to join me (and hold me accountable :D?

I shall join you! - but not until I get back from Fl0rida - am trying to eat reasonably healthily here, but it's actually quite hard, especially in the parks where they don't allow you take food in (D!sney are actually really good about that) But am decidedly (more than) chubby!!:o

We went to a family wedding last year and I refused to spend out on a dress which I'd be unlikely to wear again - wore a C0ast dress (think it was from there - if not, the dept next to there in Debenhams) which I'd bought in the Jan sales a couple of years previously reduced from £90 to £30 (and used a gift voucher for £25 for it) and then wore about 4 times max. Wore with my favourite bling-y high heels and a little handbag already owned. Outfit ended up costing me £8 for a perfect colour-matching fascinator from a cheapy shop in town :T My mum, on the other hand, bought a new dress for £85, new shoes and bag, fascinator (which cost £25 as it wasn't from the cheapy shop, but wasn't any nicer than mine)..... typical of her! She lives in a 3 bed house and has clothes bursting out of all 3 bedrooms. SHe regularly clears out her wardrobe to me and lots of it has tags still on or is hardly worn!

x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Morning all.

Well done on the weight loss, MMF, and positive vibes to all who are determined to shed some personal poundage.

I'm 2 stone down and shrinking slowly. This has meant that I now have two-thirds of a drawer of too-small trousers rather than a whole drawerful. And that there are fewer things on hangers that either don't fit yet or are a bit too tight to be flattering. I've got hangers for those ones reversed and will try everything again in a couple of months' time, to see if they can be moved from passive to active.

Love the stories about the already-purchased wedding ensembles. What I collectively think of as gala occasion clothes can work out pretty expensively in terms of wears-per-purchase, can't they?

Whilst I was at Mum & Dad's the subject of her lighter weight rain jacket came up, the unlined showerproof one. It had got very shabby and she really felt embarrassed to be seen in it but hates shopping and there was also the issue of that it had a good zip which she'd renewed a year or so ago and wanted to salvage.

I offered (and did) take it home with me. I shall unpick the zip and return it to her and then rag the garment. And I shall use my proximity to the city shops to shop for its replacement. We take the same size on the upper body, so I can easily try things on which will fit her, and I have my instructions as to her relaxed preferences (any colour except black) so I may even have a first pass at that today after work.

:o See, she's a terrible procrastinator and I'm going to remove obstructions where I can do so. There will still be a jacket in the house but at least it will be a used and usable one.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    A friend is having her garden decked, and so I've kondo'd some hanging planters and brackets which she had admired. I had bought 6 in a moment of madness in my pre kondo days - one of those occasions where I'd fantasized in the garden centre about having the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, but the hard reality is that my budget and stamina can only stretch to planting and ongoing watering of three of those hanging baskets....

She was delighted, and I'm relieved! And happy with what I have!
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It is soooooooooo much easier to release items if we find a willing recipient, isn't it?

I happily take Stuff to CS but the feeling of fulfilling an identified need of someone we can SEE will appreciate it is great. I suppose it removes the potential guilt over why we spent money on something not used, or kept something for ages for Justin when it could have been useful to someone else. And, of course, there is no waste so we can forgive ourselves that too!

Just a thought, would a separate thread be appropriate for kondo-ing weight? I am pretty sure that not everyone on the thread, or reading the thread, wants to lose weight. Obvs I'm happy to have it here (guilty of banging on about it already!), but how do others feel?

Have re-introduced my system of To Do lists and also meal planning. I found it To Do list really works for me because it stops my tendancy to flit from one job to another without really prioritising.

My meal planning was introduced for two reasons -
    firslty, I have a lot of fresh foods in the little fridge so I need to rotate stock properly
    and
    secondly because, and this has taken me 52 years to realise, I suffer from anxiety about food. Having a list of the next day's meals totally does away with this AND stops that silly feeling when you leave it too late to prep tea, feel very hungry and get ratty because of a sugar low, tending towards poor eating.
    I finally realised I was anxious about food when I was packing for a weekend away and a whole cardboard box of food was taken more or less for Justin. The place we were staying was 5 miles from a decent sized supermarket and we have a car! So now trips are to be accompanied by only 'store cupboard items' for cooking, to save duplicating herbs, oil etc, and the rest, apart from ingredients for one simple meal and one breakfast (and sugar free jellies :D) will be bought in the vicinity!

How funny that lists can be so reassuring! It has bought with it a slight addiction to my Paperchase sticky note pad given to me by a dear friend:)

Right, off to get organised and knock a few jobs off the list!

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm slowly kondoing a bottle of booze; it's some kind of gin. I don't usually drink gin, nor fruit juice, but found that sometimes the mix of both, drank on a summer evening is actually nice.

An opportunity has come up to kondo several bottles of red wine: the church fete! Every first Sunday of September there is a get-together after the service with a lunch and some games. There is a fixed price for the food and soft drinks, but the wine has to be paid for. I'll donate the bottles I have lying about, and let the church make some money :) (I come from a Baptist background, rather t-total, so it keeps on surprising me that they actually serve alcohol at a church do; on a side note: they also serve alcohol at the school fetes I've been to here in Belgium. On my very first kindergarten fete, I saw the local pastor in dog collar carrying a tray of beer to some parents!)
    I can't drink red wine anymore, and work insists on giving me a bottle every birthday. DH does not drink, his friends are mainly muslim and don't drink, either. My friends are christian, and don't have a drinking habit, either. We might share a bottle when we get together, but one bottle for the four of us will do, and only when no-one is driving. If one is driving, we all don't drink :)
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Just a thought, would a separate thread be appropriate for kondo-ing weight? I am pretty sure that not everyone on the thread, or reading the thread, wants to lose weight. Obvs I'm happy to have it here (guilty of banging on about it already!), but how do others feel?
    I didn't want to join in, because it doesn't quite suit me to go for that yet (I need it, but I know my focus is on other things right now) so I'm really happy to have it on here, just as a reminder.
    Siebrie wrote: »
    An opportunity has come up to kondo several bottles of red wine: the church fete!
    Sigh ... thats very good of you! I've had some cava in the fridge for aaaaaaages, and started to kondo it a couple of evenings ago. One drink on one night was fine. Another drink last night gave me a headache. I'm kondoing it down the sink :( probably those "single drink" bottles are the only thing I might buy in future. I have a full bottle of Pimms too, the only drink I bought for Christmas last year, and *that* never got opened either. I'm not teetotal, it just doesn't work for me any more, I wish it did!
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family