PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How much "in house maintenance" do you as a LL expect or as a tenant give?

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    However if I was a tenant I would be asking the LL to do everything (apart from light bulbs) as, as far as I am concerned that is the advantage of renting you don't need to sort out these issues the cost of doing so comes in with your rent.
    If that's the case, it should be made clear in the contract. An additional fee added to the rent can then be agreed.

As long as both parties know where they stand, then there are no issues. The problem comes when the tenant assume that the service comes with the rental price, the LL assumes it doesn't.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    LEJC wrote: »
    Funnily enough this is something that we actually do....there is also a cupboard in each property that contains a few replacement bulbs and some cleaning materials....we call it the honesty cupboard.supply some more.

Lightbulbs are handy I now have 3 different types of lightbulbs as I tend to buy a pack of 4 and my last three places have all used different spot light bulbs.
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Helen2k8 wrote: »
    I've rented from a housing association before so they have some guidance (and that guidance is in very plain English so tenants with different languages or abilities get the idea).
    In essence, lightbulbs and loose screws are for the tenant - to the point where we got a free screwdriver and little pair of pliers upon moving in. A nice touch actually!
    H.A.s expect tenants to pay for own decorating and carpet, so that is different to private tenancies I've had.
    Electrics wise, we were expressly forbidden from messing with anything beyond a lightbulb. Anything else has to be approved and carried out by a qualified person.
    Plumbing is limited to blocked pipes.
    We did have a way to report small things as well as emergencies, which I used. E.g. a lot of the elderly window latches gave up at around the same time, so when 3 or 4 had gone I logged a report but noted it wasn't critical. However a water leak above the fuse box was taken seriously!

Thank you Helen....this has really given me an insight....it's interesting that you mention screws being a tenant responsibility in a HA property....as I suspect that my tenants panicked when the toilet seat wobbled...sent the email and then probably phoned mum and dad who perhaps suggested tightening the screw.

We do also provide tenants with a torch in case of powercut etc...and I guess the screwdriver is a nice touch but it's just a case of prioritising what you include in the inventory without coming across that you are already filling the property with things before they even move in.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • LEJC
    I am a home owner so have no choice to sort theses things out myself (or get someone to do them for me) and it costs me, normally a few cans of beer etc depending on who I asked.

However if I was a tenant I would be asking the LL to do everything (apart from light bulbs) as, as far as I am concerned that is the advantage of renting you don't need to sort out these issues the cost of doing so comes in with your rent.

I wouldn't however expect small issues like this to be done straight away. I would wait until a time when the LL was available (much like I do now in my own home). I also wouldn't expect a tradesman just the LL to turn up with a toolbox - then if they made the problem worse it would be their fault and not mine.

The only way I would sort myself is if I knew I was getting cheap rent, paying market rate I would expect LL to sort.
    I agree thats a reasonable attitude to have and as LL's we have never shied away from our responsibilities to repair or replace anything....It comes as part of the perks of being a LL I think.

My reluctance in the case I highlighted in the opening post was not the fact that I didnt want to arrange to get the toilet seat fixed it centred more along trying to word the email to them to suggest them trying to establish if it would require a simple fix...ie the twist or 2 of a screwdriver without sounding patronising or reluctant...hence me leaving it till the morning to reply by which time thankfully they had sorted it.

• LEJC
    Wyndham wrote: »
    In my last flat, it quickly became apparent that my landlord wasn't very good at DIY himself (he actually said that to me while trying to fix something), but also reluctant to pay for things to be fixed. In that flat I did a few minor things, and didn't hesitate.

My current flat is more at the 'showhome' end of things - more looks over substance and practicality (it's furnished). My landlords have made it clear that they are perfectionists, so that means that I won't try anything myself. I'm not even allowed to put up coat hooks! Thankfully nothing major has gone wrong, but if it did, I would be straight on the phone to them and not try to do it myself.

In both cases the attitude of the landlord has informed how I behave.

Out of curiosity,which situation do you prefer....to have a little control(albeit possibly driven by the LL's reluctance) or do you prefer your current situation in a "showhome"?

I guess the optimum is somewhere inbetween...but I also guess that it's possibly hard striking that balance and that only comes when the LL and tenant are on the same wavelength.

I'm the first to admit I'm probably not the perfect LL but I'm not the worst either...but I do like to think I am fair.

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 October 2017 at 5:07PM
    It's a difficult one, if simple and then the tenent messes up, the tenent has to cover the damages and it's not worth it from the tenent side.

I'm a homeowner and had to change a lightbulb, taking off the glass shade thing, how the he'll does this come off? Trying and next minute smashed on floor, lovely!

No heat from radiator, YouTube, thermostat off and hitting with a hammer to get the pin back up, less than 5 min job - as a tenent would I hammer the radiator? No chance.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    FBaby wrote: »
    If that's the case, it should be made clear in the contract. An additional fee added to the rent can then be agreed.

As long as both parties know where they stand, then there are no issues. The problem comes when the tenant assume that the service comes with the rental price, the LL assumes it doesn't.

But thats the point if I was paying market rate rent I would except these things included in the rent, the case in the OP tightening of a screw I'd attempt it but I wouldn'd spend too much of my time trying to resolve as that's what I believe I would be paying for in the market rate rent (cheap rent, yes I would expect to have to make more of an effort to resolve things). I would not think to mention it at contact stage as its what I would expect, unless of the course the contract specifically stated what jobs I would be expected to carry out.

As a home owner, never rented, this is just my perception of what renting should be. I am well aware from the many posts on here its not like that in reality, the OP sounds like a good landlord, I realise there are plenty of tenants can't get major jobs done let alone small ones.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I agree thats a reasonable attitude to have and as LL's we have never shied away from our responsibilities to repair or replace anything....It comes as part of the perks of being a LL I think.

My reluctance in the case I highlighted in the opening post was not the fact that I didnt want to arrange to get the toilet seat fixed it centred more along trying to word the email to them to suggest them trying to establish if it would require a simple fix...ie the twist or 2 of a screwdriver without sounding patronising or reluctant...hence me leaving it till the morning to reply by which time thankfully they had sorted it.

No I'd wouldn't mind an email telling/asking me what to attempt first. If it was something I could mange I would give it a go and get back to you if I had attempted and failed or if I thought it was something beyond my capabilities.

I would also feel covered if I had told of the problem and was asked to try to resolve myself, if it went wrong I would have 'proof' that I was only following instructions therefore wasn't liable for any extra cost involved in my messing of it up.
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,437 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 October 2017 at 10:54AM
    Out of curiosity,which situation do you prefer....to have a little control(albeit possibly driven by the LL's reluctance) or do you prefer your current situation in a "showhome"?

I guess the optimum is somewhere inbetween...but I also guess that it's possibly hard striking that balance and that only comes when the LL and tenant are on the same wavelength.

I'm the first to admit I'm probably not the perfect LL but I'm not the worst either...but I do like to think I am fair.

My situation is strange, in that I have a permanent home, but currently work a long way from it (I'm a contractor) so this is why I'm renting, and renting furnished. In that situation, I want it to be a hassle free as possible - it's basically an alternative for me to staying in a hotel.

In terms of what I prefer - it's tricky. I want hassle free, but I'd really like somewhere to hang my dressing gown and in my current rental I'm not allowed to put hooks on the doors :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure