PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    QI Facts Book, 25p (Sense, I think). New enough will do for Xmas gift. Trying to get all my Xmas gifts done for less than a quid per person from the chazzers.

PS you can iron the spine of paperback books to get minor reading creases out.
    :p I must be getting extravagant, I'm budgetting about £3-£5 per person.

Very curled covers on softcover books (I'm talking 45 degree + curvatures) will flatten if you lay the book on a hard surface (not carpet) and place several heavy books on the top. Can take a week or so.

Got 3 books for £1 yesterday. One for a gift (for the history buff in my life), one for me for reference, and a paperback historical novel for reading and releasing. After I've offered it to muvver in case she'd like to read-and-release, also.

Spotted two B & H giftsets yester, one each in two different chazzers, and one at a bootsale last Sunday. Once you start noticing them, they're everywhere, aren't they?:rotfl:

I passed on a Per Una sweater at 50p yesterday because it was 100% acrylic and I'm in a lambswool and cashmere phase atm. Only at bootsale prices, natch.;)
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • I went into my local Age UK, the book shelves were pretty bare, but I picked up The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters in paperback for 50p. The spine is creased, but that's it as far as wear goes.

It's the same Age UK shop I used to donate a lot too, but then a lot of my donations didn't seem to be on the shelves and I overheard the volunteers saying that the 'money was out', which made me think that it wasn't as well looked after as it used to be. But when I went into yesterday, and it smelt a lot fresher and a bit cleaner looking.
  • Zilch for weeks in our CS but did buy a Morphy Richards Breadmaker "collect in person" for £2 from Ebay. Gave it a thorough clean and it works great!
    Very luckily, the bargain buy from Ebay arrived at the same time as a stock of bread mixes appeared on the shelves of our local "Approved-Foods"-style shop. Bought two 3.5kg bags of Mc Dougalls bread mixes - a two-in-one mix and a soft bap mix - for £1.50 each - these will make 7 x 1lb loaves and 130 baps respectively. :D
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I have a few pairs of leggings/treggings/jeggings that are patterned - mainly grey/black.
    I've been struggling to find a top to go with them so they hang in my wardrobe and I scowl every time I look at them. :(

So, yesterday I had a wander round the few charity shops that are open on Sundays.
    Shock! Horror! Air Ambulance let me down (for once).
    I tried 2 tops on in Oxfam but put them back on the rail.
    Then I found a Laura Ashley quite fine jersey 3/4 sleeved top that just about covers my tummy.
    Very flattering neckline (for me) and a bit dressy so great with the more up-market bottoms, like M&S flock leggings.
    Not a bad bargain (considering usual prices) in BHF at £2.79.

Now I just need a less dressier top too.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,895 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A nice little find for me today in Oxfam of all places, (cannot remember when I last bought anything there as I find their prices rather high!). Twas an M & S, 'Flexilite', teeny tiny umbrella in black with a cheerful bright pink flutterby pattern on it. Brand new with a price tag of £15 still attached....Oxfam price £2.99. :) I've now got that Rihanna umbrella song stuck in my head....been singing it all afternoon. :( I do find these titchy umbrellas handy as they fit in the smallest of handbags and have saved me many a drenching in the past - I always carry one.

Spotted loads and loads of the B & H gifty sets today....I swear they are multiplying! :rotfl:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    From my favourite Air Ambulance:
    a brand new with tags (BNWT - £25.00) Wallis cardigan in a light purple colour. Slightly longer than I usually wear at just below waist level but with 3/4 sleeves and nice mock pockets at the front, it will do the business. Eh, Miro? :)

a Boden summer dress in khaki with bright orange, fuchsia and very dark purple massive flowers on it. A lovely cotton that has texture to it - like Mantaray summer dresses. Looks unworn.

£1.00 each
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    bought a large, shag pile rug for £10 the other day. Am so pleased with it, thought I'd look online today to see if I could get a another matching one - £250!!
    I'm even more delighted now :)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Mir! wrote: »
    I've now got that Rihanna umbrella song stuck in my head....been singing it all afternoon. :(
    If it rains tomorrow, we know who is to blame :D

Today I bought what looked like a BN unread copy of Adam Rutherford’s “A Brief History Of Everyone Who Ever Lived” for £1, and this Capriware teapot and cup combination for £1.65:

SQpDrV

https://goo.gl/images/SQpDrV

I let my niece unwrap it (she is obsessed with “cuppa tea”, just like Elise Doolittle) and she thinks it’s her new toy now. For once, I shall stand firm and insist it’s for grown-ups and not her dollies.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • I counted 7 B&H sets in 1 charity shop today. Almost as much fun spotting them as hunting for bargains!

i'm guessing you all mean Bayliss & Harding sets... not Benson and Hedges as I keep thinking :D
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,895 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Pollycat wrote: »
    From my favourite Air Ambulance:
    a brand new with tags (BNWT - £25.00) Wallis cardigan in a light purple colour. Slightly longer than I usually wear at just below waist level but with 3/4 sleeves and nice mock pockets at the front, it will do the business. Eh, Miro? :)

I'm looking for a smart black shorty cardi at the mo....seen squillions of them in the past but now cos I want one all I can see are bobbly, raggedy ones with iron marks :(

VfM4meplse wrote: »
    If it rains tomorrow, we know who is to blame :D

Oooops....I was quite hoping for a light shower in order to unfurl my new acquisition! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure