PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Can you freeze shepherds pie?

I'm going to defrost a lamb shoulder overnight, mince it tomorrow then make some shepherds pie. I know it'll make more than one, but how do I go about freezing them? Do I cook the meat and the potato topping then freeze at that stage, bearing in mind that the meat's already been frozen once?
Any help greatly appreciated, of course.

Comments

• sproggi
    sproggi Posts: 1,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    When I amke shepherds pie, I always make an extra one for the freezer. I just make it as if we are going to eat it the same day, potato on top etc. and then I leave it to cool, wrap it in foil in the dish and then stick it in the freezer.
    When I want to use it, I allow it to defrost and then just heat it through very thoroughly.

Because you are cooking the lamb between freezings, it will be safe, just make sure that you heat it through very well.

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    You are ok to freeze it, as the meat you are using, although frozen, was raw, and you then cooked it. This can be frozen a second time. If you used meat that had been cooked and frozen, then defrosted, that should not be re frozen. HTH
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've just made a cottage pie for the freezer, as others say, it is ok as you have cooked the meat.

Happy eating!
    GC - March 2024 -
  • jaxxy00
    jaxxy00 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Im sure the answer to this is proberly somewhere to be found but i have had a look about and cant find it so apologise if it is.

Anyway, i brought 10 foil trays to make shepherds pies to freeze. I have now made a mince and onion mix with herbs etc and done 8 of the trays with it and topped with mashed potato (all fully cooked).

Now what i would like to know is, 2 of these will be eaten within the next half hour so am i right to have them in the oven (as i have right now) on 200oc for 1/2 hour to heat and brown the top? Also the other 6 do i leave the foil lid off them until they are cold and then put the lid on and freeze? Then when we want to have them do we cook them from frozen, if so how long for and what temp. or do they have to be thawed out first? The size of the foil trays are a good single portion. (inner part of foil with actual contents measures 5' x 4' x 1 3/4 inch deep.)
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    I would not put the ones you are putting in the freezer in the oven. I would let them cool, pop lids on and freeze.

When you want to eat them I'd let them defrost and then put them in the oven until really hot (in the middle needs to be hot as well)

Hope that helps
  • jaxxy00
    jaxxy00 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    I never cook anything from frozen, just to be safe. Always defrost first. Not sure if you'll brown the top successfully - it depends on your oven. I susually add a little cheese or dab of butter and finish under the grill for a crispy top.

Yes i know what you mean and i agree with what you are saying. How come though when you buy the boxes of say four individual shepherds pies you can cook those from frozen and they take about 35-40 minutes?

Thats what i would like to aim to be able to do, makes loads of different items/ dishes so that if you decide last minute to have a certain food you can do. Im not the greatest person for thinking ahead and deciding the day before what i will be cooking the next night. Mainly due to having two teenage daughters who necer seem to know what they are up to.

The other thing i have never been able to understand is how come you can buy frozen sausages from the shop and cook from frozen and yet if you buy fresh ones to freeze then you have to defrost before using? :confused:
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    *holds up hand* I confess, I cook things like HM shep pie from frozen....but, I tend to put it in the oven at a lower temp to start with and then, when I have checked it has defrosted turn up the oven and again check it is really hot and bubbling before serving.
    It takes longer than 35 mins though.

I don't do this with chicken though.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Shepherd Pie is DH's favourite so I make them for freezing quite often, through experience I have found it is far better to let them defrost first otherwise it seems to take an age to get them to cook through so they are hot.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • quidsin
    quidsin Posts: 336 Forumite
    I'd let it cool and then freeze it, and when you plan to have it, take it out the freezer the night before. We do this with all our home made food.
  • I dont like Shepards Pie:D

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income