Where to stay in Paris

adonis10
adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Taking my gf for her 30th next May and looking for tips as to where to stay. Staying for a couple of nights so want to be fairly central (within reason, cost wise) as want to make the most of the short time we are there.

Happy to hear advice on where to stay and places to see/things to do.

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MIGE has brilliant central locations, and the cost is reasonable.

When I stayed there I tried to book by email and they did not reply, however when I turned up everything was fine. Pity that they insist on including a breakfast that is really not very good.
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Marais/Bastille means most everywhere you want to go is walk able look at Paris Tourist information board, Last time we were there rented an apartment for a week in Bastille through airbnb, It really depends on your budget where you choose to eat but a lot of okay reasonably priced chains around Bastille itself. Be aware that sitting outside is more expensive, Time Out guides usually good. Lots of cheaper package breaks use 2 star accommodation with crap breakfasts or out at La Defense which whilst on Metro is like staying in Croydon when yo wanted to be in Central London.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    For location the Four Seasons George V hotel takes some beating. Great hotel and very helpful and knowledgable staff.
  • adonis10
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How are you intending getting there - closeness to arrival/departure area and ability to leave you bags there while you explore might be more advantageous than sleeping in the best area.

I stay a couple of times a month on business and for me closeness to transport links for airport/Gare du Nord etc is worthwhile

For recommendations for somewhere 'nice' and a bit more affordable than the Georges V have a look at Villa Royale https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187147-d240923-Reviews-Villa_Royale-Paris_Ile_de_France.html
  • I stayed in mercure Eiffel Tower in Feb. Hotel was cheap no complaints. Breakfast decent. Very good location. A stones throw from Eiffel Tower.
  • adonis10
    k3lvc wrote: »
    How are you intending getting there - closeness to arrival/departure area and ability to leave you bags there while you explore might be more advantageous than sleeping in the best area.

I stay a couple of times a month on business and for me closeness to transport links for airport/Gare du Nord etc is worthwhile

For recommendations for somewhere 'nice' and a bit more affordable than the Georges V have a look at Villa Royale https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187147-d240923-Reviews-Villa_Royale-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

Flight to Paris orly and then train and metro, I imagine. Good point, but will only need to leave them for a couple of hours as we arrive around 10 ish so shouldn't be long before check in.
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Stayed in Hotel Ampere in the 17th . really nice location , short walk to Arc . great hotel . Liked the Notre Dame area too
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • adonis10
    I may be overthinking this because as long as it is a relatively nice area and near to a metro, we can get pretty much anywhere central and it won't take too long.

That said, really difficult to know what is and is not nice!
  • adonis10
    z1a wrote: »
    For location the Four Seasons George V hotel takes some beating. Great hotel and very helpful and knowledgable staff.

Looks lovely, but 2k for 2 nights!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport