BSM driving school - waste of money

Options

Comments

• NunOnParole
    Options
    So it isnt just me!!! Ive just found this thread and so much of what Ive read is so apparent. I have been messed around disgracefully by BSM Peterborough and Im sick of the fact that they seem to have got away with it now for so long. I can back up all my facts and I have taken the matter to head office although I doubt theyll do anything about it, but I will persist.
  • NunOnParole
    Options
    My story is long and drawn out, but the gist is that BSM have taken £800 from me and I have got very little in return - two short-tempered driving instructors, one that was constantly on his mobile during my lessons, failed to keep up with my record chart, strung out my lessons - booking extra lessons behind my back, pushing me to go faster than the given limit on the roads, turned up an hour late twice on my lessons & discouraged me from taking lessons with my family when I was perfectly capable of driving - this guy was the worst driving instructor ever. When I complained to BSM , they didnt want to know, so I left them - having spent all that money! My test was booked - I had booked it despite being discouraged not to by my instructor, and because they hadnt got round to my maneouvres after 25 lessons, I had to go it alone in my own car until the test date. I failed, but I passed yesterday having gone to K2driving school in Peterborough who were brilliant.
    Bsm Peterborough were a disgrace, and I never doubted there were others having problems with them two - I just hope someone does something about it because they sicken me
  • gaz_jones
    gaz_jones Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    Options
    Funny how it's all new posters on this thread.
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Dave101t
    Dave101t Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Options
    it very much depends on the particular bsm school, where i am, i wouldnt advise anyone to touch them, terrible, expensive, no nothing instructors.
    but i do hear good things (well on here) so they cant all be bad.

my instructor (private, ex police) had a childrens steering wheel in his boot for 'less able' students, i laughed my head off!
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • alison1982
    alison1982 Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2009 at 10:52AM
    Options
    I am currently with BSM and my instructor is great, I booked 20 hours and got 20% of which actually worked out less than the independents in my area. My insructor is flexible and on a couple of occassions my lessons have run over and I've not been charged extra. I've managed to get from booking lessons to my taking my test (this saturday) in a month (though I am having automatic lessons) and can honestly say I haven't had any problems with them.
  • Graz-D
    Graz-D Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    After the way my brother was treated in an extremely rude manner, overcharged and had a bad driving instructor I would NEVER recommend BSM.
    Moneysaver and proud :)
  • NunOnParole
    Options
    gaz_jones wrote: »
    Funny how it's all new posters on this thread.

You wanna stop being so cynical Garry, this IS a widespread problem and if you've only had good experiences with BSM, then well done to you, but let us share our experiences on here without idiots like you presuming whatever you wanna presume because we're all "New posters"
  • rainbow81
    rainbow81 Posts: 400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I passed first time with BSM. Plus I got a student discount. Any instructor can be rubbish, let's face it. I tried an independent instructor first but we didn't get on. My BSM instructor (I believe they are actually self-employed but get the BSM name and training) said that they get a bonus when their pupils pass first time, so it is in their interests that you take the test when you are ready and not before.

It is harsh to slate all instructors who work for/with BSM. It is in your interests to find an instructor you can work with and whose teaching style you appreciate. I felt mine really went the extra mile even drawing little diagrams as I learnt better that way.
  • itsjojustjo
    Options
    I am with the AA my instructor is soo supportive, I live in whitefield PM me if you want me to give you his details :-)
  • LisaLou1982
    LisaLou1982 Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I learnt to drive with BSM 9yrs ago in Nottingham after previously learning with a private instructor. I moved because i felt that i wasnt getting anywhere with my 1st instructor - after 30hrs (!) my lessons were still consisting of turning right at a junction! Absolutely crazy.

After moving, it turned out that i had been taught in completely the wrong way as after the 1st hour the new instructor asked me why i was doing certain things, and it was because that was the way in which i had been shown. I had to be completely reshown how to drive! :o(

Still, as with any company, there are the good and the bad. If youre not happy then change to someone else! To this day, i still occasionally see my old instructor around and we have a chat. My OH learnt to drive with BSM last year as that was who i had learnt with and found them to be great
    £2 Savers Club #156! :)
    Looking for holiday ideas for 2016. Currently, Isle of Skye in March, Riga in May, Crete in June and Lake District in October. August cruise cancelled, but Baby due September 2016! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure