IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

highview parking ltd fine!

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    petesymac wrote: »
    cheers, read some of the posts mentioning not being the driver of the vehicle, just the registered keeper, wot if its a video camera?

You mean you've read Martin's really old article about not being the driver?

That's not the same as reading current threads on the forum, we don't care who was driving - the advice is always the same on the forum, ignore the ticket and letters which follow. It's a scam.

Google 'private parking scam' and look for forum posts on here, pepipoo.com, consumer action group, all of which will tell you that such private parking tickets are unenforceable trash, whether or not you've appealed already.

Watchdog covered this a couple of months ago, and their legal bod helpfully confirmed just what we tell everyone to do with fake parking tickets(whether they have pretty pictures of your car or not - in their example it was MET parking company using ANPR cameras):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIcdi9niHA

:T:rotfl:

The registered keeper will receive a few debt collector letters telling you to pay, but so what once you know they are just bog roll! Do not panic, do not believe the lies on the letters about Court/CCJs/dire consequences!

They cannot just 'apply for' a CCJ, that's not how things work at all.

See examples here of what sort of letters to ignore and be prepared for. Don't bother to actually read their threats when you get the matching threats, instead look at them now so you are ready to laugh when you get the whole predicable set:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=2214803

To be proactive, if the scam letters get tiresome you may like to also report the company and their debt collectors for harassment:

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/en...=03_harassment

But don't forget this is NOT a debt, NOT a fine, just a mickey mouse ticket.

Nothing happens, your credit record is NOT affected, so don't fall for this con. :)

Be angry about their illegal scary letters, tell your friends never to pay a private parking ticket, even if they have broken the car park's spurious 'rules'.

But don't pay it! Spread the word. This ticket is a scam and the letters must be ignored.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • So they have let you off twice.

It seems to me that you should pay and learn your lesson. Time limits are there for a reason. Pay more attention next time.
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    So they have let you off twice.

It seems to me that you should pay and learn your lesson. Time limits are there for a reason. Pay more attention next time.

Just go away, you idiot!
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Coupon-mad
    So they have let you off twice.

Ignore this Lurking troll everyone, he works for a PPC and doesn't like our advice much! :D
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    He's been allowed up late tonight.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Coupon-mad
    And he's reached double figures in terms of posts, he'll give up soon, just like those PPC so-called 'debt collectors' do when they realise they are being ignored. :D
  • percy
    percy Posts: 11 Forumite
    Hi, today I received official looking letter from Highview advising of parking charge for overstaying at a local retail park. Having read other posts on these so called fines it seems the advice is to ignore. Sorry but I am being a scardy cat! The letter states " in accordance with the terms and conditions, clearly and prominently displayed and agreed to when you parked on our clients private property a payment of £75 is required," they offer a discount of £25 for prompt payment. I have to admit I was parked for over 4 hours, but did not notice the signs and anyway why would I not take that long at a retail park with lots of shops? The bit about " terms and conditions" is the worrying part and the letter also states they are operating in accordance with the British Parking Association Code of Practice. They also quote a VAT number which makes me wonder is they are legit.
    Any comments gratefully received thanks
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 2 August 2010 at 11:55PM
    The BPA is just a members' association that they pay to join - it's nothing more than a 'club'.

They have to quote VAT number - it doesn't make a company 'legit' but they are a 'real' company of course. Just one that's involved in a scam industry that relies on uninformed people being scared into paying what they believe is a 'fine'.

It isn't a fine!

See the links on my long post above in reply to petesymac. Click on the links, watch the Watchdog legal guy's advice. Our replies above apply to you as well, it is completely safe to ignore the parking charge and the letters that will follow it, there will be a series of letters like the one you've had.

In that long reply to petesymac, I included the thread with examples of scary letters these companies send out. Have a look at those sorts of letters yourself, now (top sticky thread on the link below) and then read as many other threads as it takes for you to understand that you must not worry one little bit about this scam:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

Only ever take seriously a parking ticket from a Council or the Police.

Only a mug (or someone who is uninformed) ever pays a private parking ticket. Don't be a mug!

HTH
  • percy
    percy Posts: 11 Forumite
    Many thanks! I will do as you suggest and ignore any further letters from them although my partner thinks I should pay in case of a blot on my credit file or a marker on our address!Trust this won't be the case though!
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 3 August 2010 at 1:11AM
    percy wrote: »
    Many thanks! I will do as you suggest and ignore any further letters from them although my partner thinks I should pay in case of a blot on my credit file or a marker on our address!Trust this won't be the case though!

Your partner is wrong to even consider paying; you should NEVER pay such a ticket. It's a scam.

It would be like sending money in response to a phishing email - surely you wouldn't worry about your credit file each time you got one of those emails? Same sort of con, only by 'scary letters'.

I have had a private parking ticket and ignored it (last year) and so have many on this board. There's no possibility of any effect on your credit rating whatsoever because:

1. It's not a debt, more of an invoice which you're choosing to ignore.

2. There's no credit agreement so you are not defaulting on anything.

3. To get a CCJ against you, a company would have to take you to Court, and win the case against you (never!) and a CCJ would only happen if you THEN also refused to pay!

Companies can't issue fines against people, and they can't just 'get' CCJs against people. And be aware that when you get letters from 'debt collectors' about this scam ticket, that they are NOT bailiffs and have zero powers...except to write more 'scary' letters...then - they give up!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure