When to report bad parenting?

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    amcluesent wrote: »

Today, shouts to 'get in' were ignored, resulting in 4 or 5 very audible blows to the child whilst still in the garden followed by much wailing.
    That brought back happy childhood memories.

If it is occasionally, then it's probably normal. But if she's a low life, hopeless piece of scum and this is quite regular, then get on the phone.
  • nottslass_2
    nottslass_2 Posts: 1,765 Forumite
    I would agree. I am not against the occasional smack but this is obviously not the case here. Contact social services or perhaps the NSPCC or childline could point you in the right direction.

To be fair the OP has made no reference to the fact that this was a regular occurrence,or that there is any reason to believe that the children are indeed "at risk".Although I choose not to physically discipline my own children,it is not against then law to use smacking as a form of discipline.

The OP has not indicated any other reasons as to why they would be concerned for the children's welfare - They have not mentioned seeing bruises on the children,do not say they are being neglected or have they witnessed seeing any form of physical violence toward the children.

Children do need protecting,but from reading the OP It appears that although the mother concerned may not have "ideal parenting skills" and maybe she chooses to shout at her kids Rather than use calm reasoning it does not necessarily mean that she is a candidate for a child protection conference.
  • Fang_3
    Fang_3 Posts: 7,602 Forumite
    That brought back happy childhood memories.

If it is occasionally, then it's probably normal. But if she's a low life, hopeless piece of scum and this is quite regular, then get on the phone.

Normal?! Bloody normal? Not even on !!!!!!!' Tenco.
  • jillyjacks
    jillyjacks Posts: 443 Forumite
    nottslass wrote: »
    To be fair the OP has made no reference to the fact that this was a regular occurrence,or that there is any reason to believe that the children are indeed "at risk".Although I choose not to physically discipline my own children,it is not against then law to use smacking as a form of discipline.

The OP has not indicated any other reasons as to why they would be concerned for the children's welfare - They have not mentioned seeing bruises on the children,do not say they are being neglected or have they witnessed seeing any form of physical violence toward the children.

Children do need protecting,but from reading the OP It appears that although the mother concerned may not have "ideal parenting skills" and maybe she chooses to shout at her kids Rather than use calm reasoning it does not necessarily mean that she is a candidate for a child protection conference.

better safe than sorry though....what if there is child abuse and she did nothing?? could anyone live with that on their conscience?/ I couldn't...if there isnt a case to answer then social services will take no action...yes the mum may be upset but it may help her think twice about lashing out at them again
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If she is struggling to cope then perhaps she'll be offered parenting classes to help her play and bond with her children, or some other form of help. You might be doing her a favour.
    52% tight
  • nottslass_2
    jillyjacks wrote: »
    better safe than sorry though....what if there is child abuse and she did nothing?? could anyone live with that on their conscience?/ I couldn't...if there isn't a case to answer then social services will take no action...yes the mum may be upset but it may help her think twice about lashing out at them again

I agree that "its better to be safe than sorry",but to be fair the original post could apply to half the country - If every instance of parents shouting at their kids or indeed smacking them was reported as potential child abuse SS would be visiting practically every household in the country.
  • jillyjacks
    the original post said "4 or 5 audible blows" to me thats not acceptable...and if half the country was doing that to their children then I would be glad if social services were to visit every one of them
  • Being a chav, receiving housing benefit and being noisy are all perfectly legal and say more about your own deficiencies than anyone else's.

If this is a real post and not an imaginary one, call social services. They'll want to know your name and address, to show that you aren't just making malicious allegations due to your own animosity towards this woman, and then they can spend their time investigating an alleged assault that wasn't actually witnessed by anyone, much less an unbiased person, when they could be intervening in a case where there is documented evidence of abuse or neglect.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • jillyjacks
    Being a chav, receiving housing benefit and being noisy are all perfectly legal and say more about your own deficiencies than anyone else's.

If this is a real post and not an imaginary one, call social services. They'll want to know your name and address, to show that you aren't just making malicious allegations due to your own animosity towards this woman, and then they can spend their time investigating an alleged assault that wasn't actually witnessed by anyone, much less an unbiased person, when they could be intervening in a case where there is documented evidence of abuse or neglect.

they wont want to know your name at all much less your address....as I said earlier, you can make an annonymous referral and it will be investigated in exactly the same way as a one where the person leaves their name
  • nottslass_2
    Being a chav, receiving housing benefit and being noisy are all perfectly legal and say more about your own deficiencies than anyone else's.

Nicely put !!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport