Frump to Fab 2016 - Lets make it AWESOME!!!

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Sugarbaby. Go you::rotfl: sounds exciting.

Good luck with your date and let us know how you get on.

And well done on the weight loss - that's fab.
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Check you out sugarbaby you seem to be having great fun at the moment, it's really nice to read things are going well for the fabbers.

ll sorry about DS/SIL and their jobs. Fingers crossed they will be okay.

Nothing much to update here. I haven't kept up with using My Fitness Pal. I've been really busy at work and haven't had the time. I know it's not really an excuse, but I just can't seem to focus at the moment.
  • lessonlearned
    Well I managed double my usual length of walk and twice in the elliptical trainer.

No adverse effects so far.::rotfl: but... By golly i e got a long way to go........
  • Ellsbel
    Ellsbel Posts: 469 Forumite
    **Maman** I hope you enjoyed your theatre trip. One of the reasons I want to lose weight so badly is so that I can wear skirts and dresses again - it's nice to dress up occasionally:)
    I do tend to read in the evenings if nothing grabs me on the box; if the weather's nice though I'll often grab a cheeky half hour in the garden with a book :D I'll read most genres apart from horror or chick-lit but my favourites are historical biographies; I picked up one on Thomas Cromwell today (I'm so exciting :D)
    **Sugarbaby** well done on the weightloss - amazing! And good luck with the dating :)
    Hope things work out ok for DS and DiL *LL*
    **chanie** I know what you mean about the focus - I've had great days and not do great days this past couple of weeks so still not managing to stay disciplined but I'll keep trying until it clicks with me and I stay focused on the fact that wearing what I want to will be more enjoyable than those biscuits or crisps!!
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Lots of inspiring positive posts since I last popped by:D I having been virtually keeping my fingers crossed for LL's son and DIL to be on the job front.

A fabbed, but casual day for me today. Dark wash jeans, light blue with pink trim Chatham polo shirt, blue pashmina and brown leather jacket, day started at GP's surgery at 08:30, she was really helpful and wrote some notes re my recent x-rays and tests for me to take to the big hospital in the big city, bit of a trek 1.1/2 hour car journey, but OH was my trusty chauffeur bless him. Appt with Immunology consultant was amazing,so thorough, yet really kind and personable and great fun, OH came with me as an extra pair of ears as mine are a bit duff and we came away feeling that last we have a good chance of finding what is wrong with my poor old body:D:D:D Lifted my spirits considerably after 2+ years of feeling really ropey.

I am still experimenting with my make up and starting to get things right I think, quite a lot of make up for me, but applied and blended really subtly so no looking like a clown, but a more chic look with more colour which cancels out my paleness. Have a few more busy days to come, then hope to go back to sorting out my summer wardrobe and putting together some flattering, but fun outfits. I need to write a list for potential purchases and stick to it, but as discussed with LL a while back, not easy if one loves clothes.

I also need to get back on the healthy eating track, Imust eat lighter foods like fish and chicken instead of red meat for a while, also need to get going with the smoothies and Nutriblasts again to up my calorie and nutrient count, I love to read other's meal ideas, I made a lovely avocado mayo to accompany the salmon, salad and new potatoes yesterday, must experiment more.

Keep fabbing ladies:A
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • chanie
    Maddie you are doing so well at the moment and seem to be in a really good fabbing state of mind. You are so right about experimenting with food, it can really help with the weightloss when you have healthy food to look forward to. Between working full time and having youngish children who are fussy, I don't have much time to experiment, but maybe I should try more at weekends.
  • lessonlearned
    edited 6 April 2016 at 10:57AM
    Good morning lovely ladies.

Well done Maddie with your recipes and healthy eating. Glad you got on so well with the consultant. I think you are right about needing to ring the changes with what we eat. I know I do enjoy nice food and if I don't like what I'm eating then I feel resentful and will start reaching for the cakes, biscuits and Puddings. I am definitely in experimental mode at the moment.

As you know I'm trying very hard to stick with the Paleo and am constantly looking for carb free alternatives to grains. Wheat is out so that means also pasta etc. Starchy carbs like potatoes, also oatmeal and rice, cous cous.

I can have nuts and seeds, so I have been experimenting with quinoa - a seed which cooks up like cous cous. It's a bit bland but yesterday I made some adding lemon and thyme to the mix. It was lovely. I have bought some limes so another variant would be lime and coriander.

Anyway whilst posting I am sitting here with a fullers Earth face mask on and I have already done 2.5 minutes in the trainer, up half a minute from yesterday so all good. Will walk and do some more on the trainer later. I have also done a bit of yoga this morning.

The good news is I've lost 1lb......wahoo.

Im so glad ds2 has joined me on the healthy eating - for his sake as well as making my life easier in the kitchen. It's so much more fun having someone to do it with. Hopefully we can encourage and support each other.

We had a long heart to heart last night about his father's illness. I may have mentioned that, despite reassurances from my husband's consultant, at the back of my mind I am fearful for my sons' genetic Inheritence.

I have continued to do as much research as I can and I have to say there is a lot more information now than there was 10 years ago.

There is strong evidence to suggest that the trigger for my husband's illness may have been gluten because although he had never been diagnosed as coeliac - it is now accepted that you don't have to be full blown coeliac for gluten to damage the brain and cause neurlogical problems.

In particular it can lead to cerebellar atrophy and a build up of white matter. This is exactly what we could see on the MRI scans.

Apparently they now know that gluten can bypass the gut and attack the brain directly. Given that my husband had suffered for years from ulcerative colitis prior to his cerebellar diagnosis this is all starting to kick into place and make sense.

If anyone is interested just google gluten ataxia and you will see the new research that is now in the public domain. In particular the work of professor Hadijivassiliou who is at Sheffield

We were offered general genetic testing to see if my boys were carrying certain genes but they decided against it. However they have now isolated the genes for gluten sensitivity so I might see if they are now ready to be tested.

Given the new research they have already decided to cut out gluten.

I managed to get quite personal with DS2 and Quizz him about his bowel habits - not an easy mother/son discussion but it had to be done. So far he is fine.

I will do the same with ds1 and DIL.

Why am I doing all this now.

Well - Given that ataxia doesn't usually develop until someone is in their Late 40s or early 50s and I might not be around then I want them to be fully aware of what the symptoms are, what the early warning signs might be and what they can do to try and help themselves.

I want to do my best to protect them.

The tragic thing is if we had known all this not only would my husband probably still be with us but we could have halted the progression of the ataxia. He would never have been 100 per cent cured but we could have held it at bay and he could have enjoyed a good quality of life. It could have been stopped in its tracks way back in 2006 when the damage wasn't so bad.

Anyway I have decided not to go out today, I'm going to clean the oven and blitz the kitchen.

I know how to have fun. :rotfl:

Btw Maman - hope you enjoyed the theatre.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,564 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ellsbel wrote: »
    **Maman** I hope you enjoyed your theatre trip. One of the reasons I want to lose weight so badly is so that I can wear skirts and dresses again - it's nice to dress up occasionally:)

Sadly it all went a bit pear shaped as I had a massive coughing fit just before the interval. I just had to leave and although it subsided with a glass of water I didn't want to risk it happening again so DH and I went home early. Shame as I was enjoying the play. I'll have to ask my friends how it all worked out. Feeling a bit wiped out today (another coughing fit about 2.30 a.m.) so haven't ventured out although I'm feeling a bit better now.

sugarbaby, I do hope you're over your cold now but beware if it's the same bug as mine it could return! I've had this almost 3 weeks so far and I keep improving then going backwards. DH wants me to see the GP. I'll give it a couple of days and see how I'm feeling. I do love your outfit descriptions, especially all the lovely fabrics.

Glad you've had some positive news about your health Maddie. I think you're wise to talk things through with your boys LL. Obviously it's their own choice about genetic testing but they may, at least, want to take it further and have the discussions especially if watching their diets might be helpful.

So all the fabbing I'm going to manage today is a healthy meal tonight which will make a change from the pie and chips I had in the pub last night!:rotfl:
  • chanie
    LL thanks for your post on your OH's illness, its really interesting and not something I know anything about. It does highlight the importance of being fit and healthy and you certainly have given me something to think about.

maman its a shame you had to leave the play. I hope the pie and chips were lovely.

All this talk of food is making me hungry, so I can't wait to get home so that I can eat.
  • lessonlearned
    The more I learn about the correlation between poor diet and illness the more I think many of us are slowly poisoning ourselves.

Sorry if that sounds alarmist but you only have to look at obesity related illnesses such as diabetes, heart disease, gall stones, Some cancers etc. And now we are learning more about allergies, sensitivities and intolerances. We are learning that they don't just make you feel ill they can have the potential to be catastrophic.

I genuinely didn't know just how devasting type II diabetes was until I saw the effects on my mother. Which is why I am so determined to bring my blood sugar to heel.

The link between diet and illness is an area of medicine which needs much more research and in which the average GP has no real training.

Professor Hadijivassiliou first started publishing papers on ataxia as early as 1996. His work didn't come to my attention until I eventually found out about him through the Ataxia support group in 2012, nearly 7 years into my husbands illness. By then it was too late, his condition was already terminal. The prof is based less than 20 miles away......in fact he even runs a clinic in Chesterfield.

I am sorry if I rant on a bit about food but like all converts I have become rather evangelical.:rotfl: However, when you look at the figures for obesity in children and young people I do think we are storing up a lot of trouble for the future if people don't act to help themselves.

Anyway I now have a shiny sparkling oven......

Maman - sorry to hear you had to leave the play. What a shame. Hope both you and Sugarbaby feel better soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure