IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Gladstones Letter Ref: Private Parking Ticket in Company Vehicle

Hi. Firstly, I would like to thank everybody for taking the time to read this and offer advice along the way. I have been keeping up to date reading similar posts throughout my situation and have read the newbies post.

So here is my story:

In April this year I parked my car in a neighbours space using their permit. This is a residential street who have had a private firm (PCM) operating there for approximately 2 years. I had lived there for approximately 15 years but the lease is in my Mother's name and having checked it does not mention anything about the right to parking in the street.

Since the introduction of PCM I had been parking my car in a neighbouring street to avoid tickets but as I had recently had surgery which made it difficult for me to walk I used a neighbour's space acquiring their permit. Unfortunately, during the night the permit had fallen from the dashboard and on to the seat. When I came out the next morning I had a ticket. I've taken photos of my car where you can clearly see the permit through the window on the seat.

After a quick glimpse over the newbies thread I found that if you have a company vehicle you should not ignore the ticket and therefore, I appealed to the IAS stating a number of reasons but of course this was rejected. I also mentioned to PCM that I did not give them permission to pass my data on to any third party.

A few months later I received a letter from Trace Debt Recovery and think this may be where I messed up as I called them to tell them that there were questions over the legality of the ticket and also I had refused permission for PCM to pass my data on to anybody. They respectfully told me no problem and that they would remove my data from their system.

Fast forward to a week ago and I received a letter from Gladstones asking me to pay the inflated fee or they MAY issue court proceedings (or words to that effect). I have been unsure whether to respond to this or ignore it and would this is where I would appreciate some advice. I have checked the letter and it appears to have a legitimate reference number 1*****.***** and also requests that I make payment to themselves.

Firstly, should I respond (if so what should I state) and secondly have I already said too much to get out of this situation. I believe that as it is a free car park which has only employed PCM to protect the residents that they should only be requesting a legitimate loss of earnings. Their signage is also poor (many around the street but none on entrance to the road). Reading the BPA's Code of Conduct it states that where disability is concerned they must provide additional help (or words to this effect) also.

Again, I apologise for being 1 of the thousands of worries people who you have undoubtedly had to help time and time again.

Thanks again.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Regarding the letter telling you they "may issue court proceedings (or words to this effect)"

Please report word for word what it says.

(From your precis it's not a lbcca, but need the exact wording regarding this to be sure)
  • You have previously been written to requesting settlement of a parking charge. Due to the absence of payment or a valid appeal against the charge, our client has instructed us to recover the total amount due to them as shown above.

As all other attempts have failed, our client may now instruct us to take legal action against you in the County Court. To prevent such action, we invite you to make payment immediately or confirm to us in writing your proposals in respect of this debt.

In order to avoid any further action you should pay the full amount outstanding within 14 days of this letter.

You can make payment online gslcollections.com or by calling 0333 0230 ***.

It is important that you understand that if a judgement is registered against you then this could seriously affect your chances of obtaining credit in the future as this information can be made available to any interested parties via the Register of Judgements, Orders and Fines, and will remain there for 6 years.

If you are unsure about anything contained within this letter, you should seek advice from a solicitor or contact one of the following organisations who may be able to help you:

Yours sincerely,

Gladstones Solicitors
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    does the reference start with a 1 or a 3 ?

if its a 3 , its not from GLADRAGS, its from DRP and should be ignored

if its a 1 its from GLADRAGS and should be treated as an LBC and replied to

if it says to pay or to call DRP it should be ignored

WHO IS THE CLIENT ? DRP or PCM ?

just because it says GLADRAGS SOLICITORS on the letterhead and on the signature DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY SENT IT
  • Reference starts with a 1 and states 'to pay call gladstones solicitors limited on...'
  • and the client is PCM
  • Redx
    so its this then
    if its a 1 its from GLADRAGS and should be treated as an LBC and replied to

• Ok thank you for your help.
  • This thread is from 2013:

http://
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4754020

Can anybody confirm this is still relevant so I can draft a response. Also any additional advice regarding what to include in my response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
  • Redx
    things have changed a lot since then and the legal side has also changed so some stuff she mentions is totally different from about 2 years ago so I would not rely on it

read post #2 of the NEWBIES sticky thread , especially about the LBCC and also any 2017 threads that have LBC letters in them regarding gladstones claims

bear in mind that no matter what is said, GLADRAGS will be issuing an MCOL roboclaim in the next few weeks, especially because the claim form requirements are changing from 01 oct 2017 too , so I would expect gladrags to issue a roboclaim shortly
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Harry68

You are in the hands of scammers, yes a solicitor who
    scams the general public.

We are sick to death with this scammer
    Remember scammers are low life and this sums up Gladstones

Read up about this school child so called solicitor and just
    how incompetent they are .... GLADSTONES ARE INCOMPETENT

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=gladstones

So they MAY take you to court and why would they think