Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2017

Comments

• Hovis91
    Hovis91 Posts: 285 Forumite
    We have always gone twice a year to Vegas and last Oct when we came back I was feeling like maybe it's time to go somewhere else.Then when I was looking at other choices I remembered everything I love about Vegas so instead of going in June we decided to wait and only go once in November.it will have been over a year since we were there when we go in 7 weeks and I can honestly say I am beginning to feel really excited about going....booked all my myvegas things some groupon things and finally got the OH to book us into a hotel near the airport for the day before we fly!!!
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hovis91 wrote: »
    We have always gone twice a year to Vegas and last Oct when we came back I was feeling like maybe it's time to go somewhere else.
    Have you thought about combining Las Vegas with somewhere else in the USA, either by flying or driving? San Francisco, the Pacific Coast Highway, and the various fabulous national parks in California and Utah are the obvious possibilities.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • hi

we ve only been to vegas 3 times , once a year and often book dead early(so we know we are going and have to save up) and in those times i dont get excited til a few weeks to go !!

As john has said about combining vegas, my brother and I have done vegas and new york twice now and loved it, it seems some people on the board do la and San Francisco and some people often hire cars to drive !

Gonna have to go have a look around in regards booking up agian -though more than likely solo this time
  • We actually do fancy San Francisco but would have to fly as OH isn't fussed on driving over there although he has driven all round Florida when we have been there.....I would love to go to New York in time to watch Macy's parade and see all the Christmas lights and shops....maybe next year when OH has a big birthday ( but I'm choosing where we are going!!!) .
  • Hovis91 wrote: »
    We actually do fancy San Francisco but would have to fly as OH isn't fussed on driving over there although he has driven all round Florida when we have been there.....I would love to go to New York in time to watch Macy's parade and see all the Christmas lights and shops....maybe next year when OH has a big birthday ( but I'm choosing where we are going!!!) .
    We flew to SF for a long weekend a couple of years ago. Flights were quite reasonable with Virgin America.
  • John259
    First Anniversary
    edited 16 September 2017 at 1:31PM
    Hovis91 wrote: »
    but would have to fly as OH isn't fussed on driving over there
    Fair enough, but if you drove then you'd be able to see some magnificent country, such as:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Sur

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yosemite_National_Park

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owens_Valley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Valley_National_Park
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I absolutely hate driving. It's a necessary evil for me. My car does less than 5000 miles between MOT's.

I know there is some lovely scenery out there, but not enough to make me drive to SF and back. I drove to the Grand Canyon for my parents 50th anniversary, and wanted to kill myself on the tortuous road to the actual canyon. It made me cry. The Canyon was spectacular, but there is no way I will ever drive all the way there again. i did it for them. They appreciated it.
  • John259
    First Anniversary
    pebblesmax wrote: »
    tortuous road to the actual canyon
    Which rim? Arizona 64 from Williams to the South Rim is a very good road, nearly flat and mainly fairly straight. You can check it out on Google Maps StreetView and this image is typical:
    https://goo.gl/maps/C74rsfDsbis
  • StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    woohoooooooooo , less than 2 weeks for me!!!! :D:D
    And car rentals, yeah, seeing crazy prices !
    Convertible car for 3 days with Alamo in Vegas = £500 + !!!! !!!!!! !! :D:D

On a better note though, we have the Prem SUV (Suburban or Sim) from SFO to LAX = £237 , and with the Dollar gain the other day, I can rebook for £225 !
    Looking in the Grand schemes, I have never seen the Prem SUV for a weeks rental less than £380 on average!!

Gonna hate to think to how much we gonna burn through in fuel from SFO to Vegas via my route to Yose/Mammoth/Death V !
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    John259 wrote: »
    Which rim? Arizona 64 from Williams to the South Rim is a very good road, nearly flat and mainly fairly straight. You can check it out on Google Maps StreetView and this image is typical:
    https://goo.gl/maps/C74rsfDsbis
    Tortuous for that exact reason. Nothing to see. It was undulating and every small brow I was hoping to see something different. Just miles of the exact same thing. When that is at the end of a drive you haven't enjoyed anyway, it can make you lose the will to live. Nothing of interest at all. I'd rather have gone up wrynose pass and red bank a dozen times. At least they keep you alert.

Did you read the bit where I hate driving?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure