MSE News: How to beat BT's broadband, home phone and TV price hikes

Options

Comments

• zimcomp
    Options
    how dose this affect the minimum term contract
    i was expecting to pay £41 which is about the max i could and i thought it included broard band phone line and calls

but i didnt notice the call was just for weekend so got stung for another £7.50

now i find towday they want to increase it again
    and im stuggling

im stuck with bt for the best part of £50 a month been with them for 3-4 months my last phone company was £30 and its already a huge leap

so looking thought bt it say this

Early Termination Charges: These charges apply only if you cancel during the minimum term of your contract and are payable for each month of the minimum term outstanding on your contract

so am i able to leave without problm or not
  • asturdy2
    asturdy2 Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    thank god I have just signed up with plusnet, paid 155 advance line rental, fibre free for 6 months and anytime calls, nearly half the £ 52 I was paying bt.
    3.64KW system, aurora power one inverter, South west facing with no shading in Lancashire.
  • Beancounter
    Beancounter Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    Options
    I phoned to cancel as soon as I read about the hike on here then signed up to a decent deal with TalkTalk.

However, got a text reminding me I would still be charged for BT Sport so called to cancel, was offered various things to stay but eventually was offered unlimited broadband with evening an weekend calls, TV Essentials and the full BT Sports pack all for £8.30 a month. Just to make it sweeter they also gave me a £100 Love2Shop voucher so I am effectively paying £2 for the whole year for that. Very happy!

(line rental on top of that though of course)
  • Sven_The_Apprentice
    Options
    I called to cancel mine, but they said I can't as I'm in contract until December this year. If I did cancel I would have to pay the cancelation fees. Do anyone here know if this is correct or did I have an unhelpful call handler? Any advice will be welcome.
  • mirrorsaw
    mirrorsaw Posts: 2,366 Forumite
    Options
    I called to cancel mine, but they said I can't as I'm in contract until December this year. If I did cancel I would have to pay the cancelation fees. Do anyone here know if this is correct or did I have an unhelpful call handler? Any advice will be welcome.

As a BT customer, I received the email informing me of the price increase and it specifically stated I could leave my contract early with no penalty- did you receive such email? If so did you quote it to the person on the phone?
    Be kind to all moneysavers
  • Sven_The_Apprentice
    Options
    Hi, I did receive it - and states "We want to make sure you get the best deal for you. So, if you want to change something, or even leave because of these price changes, and you're within your minimum contract period, you'll need to call us within 30 days of receiving this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days5 if you're switching provider), starting from the date you ask us. We won't charge you the increased price during that time."

I told them this, but they said if I had singed up within the last 14 day cooling off period. But that's is not the case. My contract is officially up in December this year. They did try to get me to upgrade which I don't want to do.

Thanks.
  • Pitlanepiglet
    Pitlanepiglet Posts: 2,129 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The website I see doesn't show a broadband price rise, just line rental. I negotiated a cost for broadband when I renewed last November so perhaps that protects me? But my email does have the para re cancelling within 30 days.

This might be a result for me, I'm still going through the Resolver process to try to get BT Sport for free or to be able to cancel Broadband because of the BT Sport charge.

Sounds like time I gave BT a call...
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • shinkyshonky
    shinkyshonky Posts: 2,782 Forumite
    Options
    BT...Some things are never free, Someone has to pay for all that BT Football Sport
    “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” Socrates

Haters gonna hate
  • Sven_The_Apprentice
    Options
    I think it's time to give them another call today to see what I can do. Might get them to try and sell me a sim only plan this time.
  • JezCunningham
    Options
    In the same email as the price hike, BT offered me their £5/mo SIM-only mobile deal. (I'm on Vodafone £9.50) On reading the T's and C's it says you can't use it to provide 'tethering' - i.e. as a mobile internet connection for another device. Had an email exchange with them and it concluded that their sim WILL NOT allow my TomTom gps to connect via the smartphone to get traffic data. Dealbreaker.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure