International & UK CallChecker discussion

Options

Comments

• oldharryrocks
    oldharryrocks Posts: 533 Forumite
    edited 22 December 2012 at 8:21PM
    Options
    charbles wrote: »
    Ypaymore I'm sorry but It looks like you never used 18185 before. You have to to pay up front via Credit Card post pay does not exist and you also have to pay connection fee.

Try it and then you will understand how it works. You will very quickly switch to other UK providers.

Hold on i use it.

You clearly dont know what your talking about in so far as how the payment works ,you dont pay up front,you pay in arrears by cred/deb card or by dd every one or two months depending on size of bill. I use it because i dont have inclusive landline peak minutes so i make cheap uk calls 5p connection no call charges.EG 20 minute call just 5p .I also use it to make cheap UK 0845 calls if i cant find alternative 5p connection 3p a minute.Care to tell us which of the providers you mention can match these prices.

I have only ever needed to contact them once in yonks about my dd and they sorted it fine.
  • oldharryrocks
    Options
    It looks like we have lots of Finarea (18185) staff replying here.

I thought this forum is free to discuss with consumers and not with providers.

So your only defence is BS because you have been proven to be wrong.

No i dont work for Finarea but i guess you work for a competitor and are trying to blacken their name.
  • oldharryrocks
    Options
    Anyways lets leave it here as this is going out of hands, I rather stick with UK providers.

Okey Dokey !!! but i am sure lots of people will continue you to use it and MSE will continue to promote it.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/home-phone-calls#halve

Hows your IP Telephony biz these days still running ?
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anyways lets leave it here as this is going out of hands, I rather stick with UK providers.
    It looks like we have lots of Finarea (18185) staff replying here.

I thought this forum is free to discuss with consumers and not with providers.

Why leave it there?

You've made false statements about the way this provider charges for calls, alleging prepaid when in fact it's postpaid, and then made completely false assertions about the integrity of other forum members.

If you knew much about this range of products and its provider you'd know it is minimalist about how much time it spends talking to customers, so the assertion it has staff on here is laughable.
  • giltbrook
    Options
    I have tried to check the cost of dialling a Spanish landline from a Virgin Media landline using Dial123.co.uk, which is the cheapest reported provider listed in the MSE UK CallChecker, at 1p per minute. When I search the very complicated Virgin Media call price list for the number provided by Dial123, 08437 152000, that number does not seem to be in the Virgin Media price list, so the call price cannot be verified, and I do not want to risk dialling a number that cannot be verified.

P.S. Why does it have to be so complicated to find out the cost of a call dialled from Virgin Media? Why can't they have a system where you can dial a free number, input the required number that you want the cost of dialling, and an automated voice tells you the call price for that number? At present, customers have to search for, find, and download two spreadsheets, the first one to find the number, that then gives a code for the price, and the second one with the codes, that give the actual prices corresponding with the code. This system seems designed to confuse customers so that it is nearly impossible to find the cost of calls, unless the customer is adept at using computers and spreadsheets.
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 27 December 2012 at 6:44AM
    Options
    giltbrook wrote: »
    I have tried to check the cost of dialling a Spanish landline from a Virgin Media landline using Dial123.co.uk, which is the cheapest reported provider listed in the MSE UK CallChecker, at 1p per minute. When I search the very complicated Virgin Media call price list for the number provided by Dial123, 08437 152000, that number does not seem to be in the Virgin Media price list, so the call price cannot be verified, and I do not want to risk dialling a number that cannot be verified.

Its a relatively new allocated 0843 number shown to be charge band G8 here http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

1.02p per minute and set-up cost of 13.1p from a BT line.

That will be PG8 charge band on Virgin Media

http://store.virginmedia.com/phone/phone-national/about-national/how-much-do-calls-cost.html

A stonking 5.01p per minute and set up cost of 14.94p from a Virgin Media line.

Therefore its not the cheapest supplier, and if the prices shown were correct from a Virgin Media Line http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php the second listed provider would be cheaper anyway via its freephone access number as its 1p a minute with a connection charge of 4p,and you would normally only pay when connected, unlike the 084 number where you pay whether you get connected or not.

However the Call Checker does come with a prominent warning.

"Warning!
    This is an AUTO-generated list, errors can and do happen. Always double check the price first yourself."

Which you were clearly trying to do.:D
  • RatAtAt
    RatAtAt Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    Ypaymore wrote: »
    http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php the second listed provider would be cheaper anyway via its freephone access number as its 1p a minute with a connection charge of 4p,and you would normally only pay when connected

Well 18185 may still be cheap(est?), but you now pay a connection fee and for the first minute as soon as the phone rings. In response to a complaint they told me:

helpdesk 29-01-2013
    Dear Customer,
    All call charges shall begin upon successful connection of the call. This means when the phone on the other end starts ringing, not when the phone is answered. Therefore, if a number is dialled and the call connects, even if it is not answered, you will still be charged.
    Kind regards,
    Customer service
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You posted that in another thread and YoungNick has responded with different information:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=59022845&postcount=9
  • rapido
    rapido Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    giltbrook wrote: »
    I have tried to check the cost of dialling a Spanish landline from a Virgin Media landline using Dial123.co.uk, which is the cheapest reported provider listed in the MSE UK CallChecker, at 1p per minute.

Don't worry, Dial 123 seems to be atrocious.

Tried to call a mobile in Iraq, but the sound quality was almost inaudible, just a distant 'dalek' sound instead of the other party.

Hung up and dialled the 0844 number again, and this time Dial 123's recorded message sounded like a Dalek!

Used Cheap Calls instead (6p/min instead of Dial 123's 5p/min), and it's clear as a bell.

Don't waste your time and money with Dial 123.
  • Blue_Max
    Blue_Max Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 February 2013 at 5:50AM
    Options
    Don't know if anyone else mentioned in this long thread but
    White Mobile has some of the lowest international rates.
    eg. Poland 0.5p, India and China 1p, South Africa 3p, Iraq 6p
    No traps like connection charges, minimum charges, setup charges or whatever.
    SIM is free. just Pay As You Go!
    http://www.whitemobile.com/

Interview with the founder at
    http://mobilenetworkcomparison.org.uk/white-mobile-interview/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business