Which mattress? (merged threads)

Has anyone bought from these people before? They sell memory foam mattresses. They seem to have a decent product:
- the specifications match their competitors
- they have a 5 year guarantee
- they offer a 30 night waranty to return the mattress (excluding a pick up fee) if you don't like it
My concern is that they are half the price of other mattresses we have looked at!

[Actually - just found they are even cheaper in their Ebay shop - surely this is too good to be true]

Thanks,
2010 Comps
Cushelle Koala!

Comments

• Don't know the company but I would be wary if the mattress is too cheap

I bought a memory foam mattress made by Body Impressions and it came with a 5 year guarantee. The company that makes it is Ventura Corporation.

The Body Impressions Spa sensations was a which best buy which is why we bought it

I bought it about 2 years ago for approx £400 and last week it developed a fault and they replaced it without any fuss so long term it made sense spending the extra money
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Before anyone slates me because I sell beds, I am giving my honest professional opinion:

The only problem I can find with the whole range is that the memory foam is too deep (the optimum depth is 2" to 2.5". However if you like being hot in bed then that's ok. The colmax cover will help when you first get in to bed, but will warm up to your body temperature after a while. Coolmax is better suited to outdoor clothing where the wind will dissapate the heat from it.

I wouldn't go for the basic model as the base reflex foam layer is only 3" deep.

Apart from the above I can't find any reason not to buy one. However before you buy ask them who makes the memory foam, and where it is made.

To be honest I think that it is the manufacturer selling them, so they can sell at a lower price than a retailer.
  • Forgot to update this!
    Thanks for the useful comments. We did buy one in the end and we are very very pleased with it. The first night was a little hot, but since putting a mattress protector on it, we've been fine.
    Thoroughly recommended!
    2010 Comps
    Cushelle Koala!
  • carson_2
    carson_2 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Can anyone tell me if i got an ikea malm bed would i have to buy the ikea mattress or could i use a normal double mattress?
  • LameDuck
    LameDuck Posts: 63 Forumite
    I used my existing double mattress - however it is about 6 inches shorter than the IKEA ones so I have to shove it back towards the headboard every couple of days - otherwise I lose my pillows!!!!
  • RustyFlange
    RustyFlange Posts: 7,538 Forumite
    Ikea beds are only really made for their mattresses. We have the malm, and an ikea matress and topper. Its a fantastic sturdy bed ... well it must be as it withstands the kids jumping on it lol
    Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
  • Tim_Deegan
    If you can't buy it in standard UK sizes then I wouldn't bother buying it.

The standard UK mattress sizes are:

Small single 2'6" x 6'3"
    Single 3' x 6'3"
    Small Double 4' x 6'3"
    Double 4'6" x 6'3"
    King Size 5' x 6'6"
    Super King Size 6' x 6'6"

Some manufacturers will make mattresses in continental sizes, but they usually charge extra.
  • cheeks
    cheeks Posts: 211 Forumite
    I bought an Ikea bed and mattress several years ago but a few months after we bought it my husband knealt on the bed and put his knee through one of the slats on the bottom! The mattress was terrible, after only a couple of years all the springs were sticking up and it was all lumpy, sorry, i can't recommed them.
    If marriage means you fell in love, does divorce mean you climbed back out?:rotfl:
  • Tim_Deegan
    cheeks wrote: »
    I bought an Ikea bed and mattress several years ago but a few months after we bought it my husband knealt on the bed and put his knee through one of the slats on the bottom! The mattress was terrible, after only a couple of years all the springs were sticking up and it was all lumpy, sorry, i can't recommed them.

Thanks Cheeks, I've been trying to tell people that for ages, but because I sell beds people just think that I am putting them down because they are competitors.
  • Consumer40
    Consumer40 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tim, if you are still around, please can you elaborate on your assessment of IKEA mattress quality.

Opinion around the net seems to vary widely with some saying they are great and last for years but with others echoing your comments.

Your opinion is interesting because you work in the business but I am puzzled how you could conclude that quality is poor from a visit to the store. Surely, without cutting the mattress open, all you can see is a white or grey rectangular block?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure