NatWest's 'Rapport' software - should I install it?

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    this is the report I rather cryptically alluded to earlier

http://www.virusbtn.com/news/2009/04_22.xml
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Roy1234 wrote: »
    Interesting. Does it follow from your description that it will work with all browsers (I use Firefox/Google Chrome mostly) and will not mess up other logins or web usage? And I guess, if what you are saying is true, there are no privacy issues here either?

They claim it works for all browsers and it only "activates" on the websites you specify, i.e. only your bank's address by default I guess. I'll give it a go (as I'm with RBS) and see if I have any problems. Not noticed any issues so far anyway.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • Roy1234
    Roy1234 Posts: 169 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just found the following review on CNET:
    Version: Rapport 3.5.0909.12
    "Effective but has major cons"

by marcopolo81 on November 6, 2009

Pros: It does everything they said it would. Very effective.
    Cons: Slows both IE8 and Firefox web browsers to less than half their normal speed.
    When running continually for any length of time, it eats RAM like nobody's business.
    Summary: My wife used it, and as she usually keeps the web browser open all day, her computer kept crashing. After various attempts to fugure out what was causing it, we found that removing this app solved everything. When I stopped the service, her RAM usage dropped from 1567MB to 359MB. That means that this app was using over 1GIG of her 1.5GIGs.
    Not to be used on low-end computers, and definately not for computers with less than 2GIGs of RAM in XP or 3GIGs in Vista.
    There is a serious memory leak in this program that needs addressing.

Makes me kind of cautious still.
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Roy1234 wrote: »
    Just found the following review on CNET:

Makes me kind of cautious still.

Been a steady 27 MiB RAM use all morning for me on IE8.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • INT1
    INT1 Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Interesting stuff, My Kaspersky internet security suite did the same thing when I was phished for info claiming to be from HSBC.
    I'm not going to download as for reasons previously stated that it uses too much system resource.
  • Leopard
    Leopard Posts: 1,786 Forumite

Whenever my banks urge me to install anti-malware software, I ask them, very politely and earnestly, which ones they would advise and prefer me to use on my Macs. :cool:

Strangely, this has never produced any reply. :confused:

Maybe I should now also ask them how to install "Rapport" on a PowerPC Mac. :D

I've always made it clear that if they wish to protect themselves from fraud occurring on my accounts, I shall be happy to accept from them a Windows-based computer or a five-year interest-free loan of £1,000 to buy one. :)

Clearly it is time to ask them at least to supply me with an Intel Mac. :xmassmile

Don't laugh at banana republics. :rotfl:

As a result of how you voted in the last three General Elections,
    you'd now be better off living in one.

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Online banking seems like a pretty big risk to me, particularly on a Windows PC, so I wouldn't even want to try it out.

What are the benefits of online banking that make it so appealing?

I know phone calls aren't exactly secure, but I phone if I need to check my balance. I guess it would be a lot harder to intercept someone's phone communications without the telco's assistance. It's also impossible to install malware on my landline phone.

If I need to pay a bill I send a cheque (otherwise bills are paid by DD).

Maybe I'm just being dense, but I can't see why I would need to bank online...
  • Leopard
    Leopard Posts: 1,786 Forumite

It avoids the need to covert everything into rupees and deploy a volume booster in order to effect a transaction.

Don't laugh at banana republics. :rotfl:

As a result of how you voted in the last three General Elections,
    you'd now be better off living in one.

• If you do download and install it, it's a !!!!!! to get off
    It's taken me years of experience to get this cynical
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    My mum & dad tried it, but soon removed it when it started flagging false positives and hogging resource. They have a fully functioning security suite already that I put on the pc for them, and my dad is religious in updating and weekly scanning. Rapport off, no probs....

..and as for "most of the banks" recommend it, if I remember correctly theUK banks were no more than 3 or 4, hardly convincing....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure