Disability Premium -who qualifies?

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    I am assuming it is because you have worked and the others on IS have not, you have paid stamps and they didn't or have been on long term unemployment.

I am in an electric wheelchair, like you I get DLA, IIDB, IB yet I have to pay for everything else, it is unfair (I even pay tax on that lot) that people who have worked all their lives get nothing. But if you had been unemployed for a long long time you get everything.

You will receive more than those solely on IS. You may qualify for help with prescriptions through the NHS Low Income scheme. You can also be assessed for LHA/ HB and CTB on the basis of being on a low income.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I am assuming it is because you have worked and the others on IS have not, you have paid stamps and they didn't or have been on long term unemployment.

I am in an electric wheelchair, like you I get DLA, IIDB, IB yet I have to pay for everything else, it is unfair (I even pay tax on that lot) that people who have worked all their lives get nothing. But if you had been unemployed for a long long time you get everything.

same here but no IIDB and the only thing I get is a reduction in council tax due to needing a wheelchair indoors.

I was at work till 2 hours before my accident but I get less than the people who wouldnt work and have always claimed benefits and thats not the way things are supposed to work.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think I should receive more than those solely on IS because I had worked full time from 16 until I had an accident at 42.

Many people have had no choice but not to work. I'm talking about those who have been severely disabled from birth / young age.

If you're living on more than what the government says, then why should you get more help?

You may qualify for free prescriptions if your disability means you can't get out of your home without help.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Andy054
    Andy054 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Originally Posted by DMG24

"Assuming you do not receive DLA, you will not qualify for the DP on IS, and therefore you do not qualify for IS. The age addition takes you over the relevant amount."

I don't understand,

Is this write - If you get more than £91.80 with any other benefit you can not get income support.

So there for you can not get the disability premium if you are on long term Incapacity Benefit, unless you get DLA?
  • Hi all i am totally confused i am registered disabled
    i am narcoleptic, insulin dependent diabetic i have severe neuropathy and had two strokes i get higher rate mobility £49.89 midle rate care £47.80p and incapacity benefit£91.40p
    my wife gets incapcity benefit £91.40p we have no other income and no savings
    and she doesent claim carers allowance
    i was turned down for income support because we get over the amount allowed
    is there anything else we may be entitled to claim ?
  • richard9991
    richard9991 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Salfordian wrote: »
    There are two premiums, both paid to people on Income Support:

1. Disability Premium, payable to any Income Support customer who receives DLA, or who has been sick for over 1 year.

2. Severe Disability Premium (SDP) (currently equivalent to £2600 per year), payable only to Income Support customers who are on DLA at the Middle or Higher Rate Care Component . There are other criteria you need to meet, including living alone, or treated as living alone, or living with others on DLA Middle or Higher Rate Care Component. Another criteria is that you must not have a carer receiving Carer's Allowance for caring for you.

To ensure you are recieving what you are entitled to:

1. Claim Income Support.
    2. Make sure Income Support are aware you are on DLA, and the rates you are on. For the SDP, ask for an IS10 form.

actually there are 3 disability premiums the 2 mentioned above and the enhanced premium paid to ppl on high rate care od dla
  • CUTESMILE
    CUTESMILE Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    http://www.benefitsnow.co.uk/esa/rates.asp#disability

look at the severe disability premium section and hope this helps anyone
    2020 wins - Espire passes for Gatwick airport lounge
  • hi,i was claiming income support and dla high rate motabilty and low rate care,my partner moved in ,i rang income support to let them kno,carried on living our life,had phonecall 10 months later saying can some1 come and see you about what benefits you are on,ok i said,few days later she arrives has a chat with us then tell us we have been claiming income support incorrectly ,oh great we said,she said we should be ok as we had rang them ,ok so now i get too the point,i was recieving a dissability premuim in that time,soon after i lost my dla which i got back nearly a year later ,in this time i was not recieving my premuim and now because we was on the wrong benefit ie income support they are saying that they cannot pay the back pay of the premuim ,so who is liable for this premuim it works out at over a thousand pound ,hope i made this understandable as im confused just writing it,lol,,,im now on esa and awaiting my medical with them ,
  • snoopy89
    snoopy89 Posts: 320 Forumite
    the system is really bad, a m8 works for cab, he tells me i can claim disability premium, but i dont think so. i dont get income support as i worked till i was ill, i get 122.00 ib, high rate mobility and high rate care. now when m8 puts it trough cab computer it says i should get disability premium as i live alone and the money i get now. i did phone help line a few months ago and they said i cant get it becuse i am getting more than income support, but the cab says i should get it as it entiles me to income support once granted. confussed, so am i. i also have to say i can manage on what i get but i am told i am entited to the extra. i have not rang the help line again as i feel like a leach. :)
  • richard9991
    richard9991 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    snoopy89 wrote: »
    the system is really bad, a m8 works for cab, he tells me i can claim disability premium, but i dont think so. i dont get income support as i worked till i was ill, i get 122.00 ib, high rate mobility and high rate care. now when m8 puts it trough cab computer it says i should get disability premium as i live alone and the money i get now. i did phone help line a few months ago and they said i cant get it becuse i am getting more than income support, but the cab says i should get it as it entiles me to income support once granted. confussed, so am i. i also have to say i can manage on what i get but i am told i am entited to the extra. i have not rang the help line again as i feel like a leach. :)
    i you live alone no one claims cares allowance for you have savings under £6000 then you are entitled to the severe disability prem plus the enhanced disability prem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure