EE says Vodafone has reactivated my number!

Options
I transferred my number to EE from Vodafone last August 2014.
I have been unable to received calls or texts since 23rd June.
First EE said Vodafone retained the number prefix and were not forwarding my calls or text from Vodafone servers to EE’s server; Vodafone looked into this even though I don’t have an account with them and said this was rubbish
Next EE said Vodafone had reactivated my number and ‘potentially’ allocated it to someone else (the data protection and security breaches don’t bear thinking about if this is true for ANYONE who has transferred a number from one provider to another)! Vodafone again said this was rubbish.
I still can’t receive calls or texts – any suggestions other than the Ombudsman?

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Numbers are always recycled once they are no longer required, otherwise we would have run out of mobile numbers years ago. But if the number has been correctly ported to another network, then of course this should not happen.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • davidsuffolk
    davidsuffolk Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What happens when you ring your number from another phone? If someone answers you have a problem (but can probably ask that person!). If it just doesn't ring or has an automatic message that again may give you a clue?
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 3 July 2015 at 11:29AM
    Options
    MerryGerry wrote: »
    I transferred my number to EE from Vodafone last August 2014.
    I have been unable to received calls or texts since 23rd June.
    First EE said Vodafone retained the number prefix and were not forwarding my calls or text from Vodafone servers to EE’s server; Vodafone looked into this even though I don’t have an account with them and said this was rubbish
    Next EE said Vodafone had reactivated my number and ‘potentially’ allocated it to someone else (the data protection and security breaches don’t bear thinking about if this is true for ANYONE who has transferred a number from one provider to another)! Vodafone again said this was rubbish.
    I still can’t receive calls or texts – any suggestions other than the Ombudsman?
    If the number was in use until June, how on earth could it be 'reactivated'? Not to mention a 'quarantine' common before inactive number gets allocated to a new customer.

That said, nothing happening at Vodafone can surprise me, but when these two dreadful companies come together you have to be prepared to the worst.

Ombudsman is the only way to go IMO. Also, it's worth reporting Voda to Ofcom, but they don't deal with individual complaints.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a friend who ported from Vodaphone to O2 the end of last year and since near the end of June he's had the same problems. Landlines and mobiles from other networks can no longer call him and texts not received.

He's raised it with O2 and they suggested it's a porting problem (since the number originated from Vodaphone they still "own it" and it's essentially a long term divert)
    All your base are belong to us.
  • MerryGerry
    Options
    Thanks
    when anyone calls the number they are told that the phone is switched off
    Got a copy of an internal email sent to me by EE that says that "this has been a major headache for Vodafone and they are putting in a global fix to remedy it". Suggests that it should be easy then for EE to get me compensated for the loss of service, only they say that I have to take this up with Vodafone myself!
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When a number gets ported out, it should go on the networks "do not recycle" list. Sometimes the odd number slips through the net and gets recycled and ends up provisioned on a sim pack somewhere, stopping the routing to your phone.

Easily rectified by your current network talking to the porting department of the old network.

EE should be doing this for you.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    EE talking with Vodafone - hilarious. It's impossible when talking with one of them; put the two together and you have no chance!
  • kittykat17
    kittykat17 Posts: 325 Forumite
    Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Hundreds of ex-Vodafone customers who have ported to other networks are experiencing the same problem. People who are currently trying to port out from Vodafone to other networks are also having a nightmare. The problem is with vodafone's systems and only they can rectify it. I know that EE's porting department and escalation team have been in contact with Voda several times over the past few weeks in the hope of hurrying them up but, surprise surprise, it is still ongoing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure