Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Comments

• charges: £1478
    bank: hsbc

had an ongoing complaint with hsbc since sept 2011,refused to refund my charges so went to fos under finacial hardship.hsbc have said to fos they will give me £125 as a goodwill gesture oh and debt advice....ok so it seems a little small to me??and i was kind of hoping for more should i ring the fos and ask if they could get hsbc to adjust it so it was actually not a kick in the teeth?i dont want to sound ungratful and i know they are under no obligation i just wanted to know what my options are before i accept this megre amount thanks
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    charges: £1478
    bank: hsbc

had an ongoing complaint with hsbc since sept 2011,refused to refund my charges so went to fos under finacial hardship.hsbc have said to fos they will give me £125 as a goodwill gesture oh and debt advice....ok so it seems a little small to me??and i was kind of hoping for more should i ring the fos and ask if they could get hsbc to adjust it so it was actually not a kick in the teeth?i dont want to sound ungratful and i know they are under no obligation i just wanted to know what my options are before i accept this megre amount thanks

See the other thread where you've also asked about this.
    I posted my response there :)
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2248309&page=17
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Hi, I have just received a letter from Santander informing me that it intends to write to District Judge in local County Court to have all current stayed cases dismissed as a result of recent ruling. Looking at hardship criteria, I feel that I met some of the criteria at that time and wondered if I should now contact them direct or the county court? before a decision is made, presumably in my absence. Any speedy advise would be most welcome - my claim is against the Abbey, and at the time had very little income as single parent due to bank charges coming out almost every month.
  • Hi I have just received a letter from Santander informing me of their decision to write to a local District Judge at the County Court for all stayed cases to be heard and dismissed. Should I now claim under hardship as I met some of the criteria back then and often did not have enough salary in the bank to live due to amount of bank charges coming out. I was a single parent then and life was extremely tough to say the least. Any speedy advise would be most appreciated. Regards. T
  • zppp
    zppp Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    Tinape wrote: »
    Hi, I have just received a letter from Santander informing me that it intends to write to District Judge in local County Court to have all current stayed cases dismissed as a result of recent ruling. Looking at hardship criteria, I feel that I met some of the criteria at that time and wondered if I should now contact them direct or the county court? before a decision is made, presumably in my absence. Any speedy advise would be most welcome - my claim is against the Abbey, and at the time had very little income as single parent due to bank charges coming out almost every month.
    Tinape wrote: »
    Hi I have just received a letter from Santander informing me of their decision to write to a local District Judge at the County Court for all stayed cases to be heard and dismissed. Should I now claim under hardship as I met some of the criteria back then and often did not have enough salary in the bank to live due to amount of bank charges coming out. I was a single parent then and life was extremely tough to say the least. Any speedy advise would be most appreciated. Regards. T

The court will not deal with financial hardship, so unless you amend your Particulars of Claim, the case at the court is likely to be struck out.

Regarding financial hardship, I suggest you write to the bank explaining why you feel you are in hardship, include a current income and expenditure and request for them to look at your account under hardship.

The caveat with financial hardship has always been that even if the bank/Financial Ombudsman Service uphold that you are or were in hardship, the bank is under no obligation to refund charges, only to treat your circumstances sympathetically.

Further information on what constitutes financial hardship can be found here;

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2428497
    Best Regards

zppp :)

• Hi all,

I have had 2 accounts with Halifax for years, last year I changed one account to Santander. Still having a small overdraft of £400 with halifax I hoped to pay off in the few months after and close the account. Because I havent deposited enough money in the past year halifax charged me £547 in charges to this account. I am now paying £10 a week to clear the debt but have a default notice on my account. I have tried the ombudsman and they have ruled in Halifax favour saying they treat me fairly which I believe they havent!!!!

What can I do, I dont think I should pay the £547 fees, but if anything want the default removing?

Anyone advise?? Please!!!

Dan
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ...What can I do, I dont think I should pay the £547 fees, but if anything want the default removing? ...

Why don't you think you should pay the fees you have incurred?
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • It is unfair that in one month they charged me over £150, and the charges after charges have pushed me over the overdraft?
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It is unfair ...

Only a court can decide that.

Follow the MSE guide to reclaiming via court for how to attempt to do that.
  • Premier wrote: »
    Only a court can decide that.

Follow the MSE guide to reclaiming via court for how to attempt to do that.

Even though Ombudsman sided with the bank? Do I go through the same route on MCOL as credit card reclaiming?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback