Tesco - No longer a customer

Morning

As we've seen from the press it seems to be happening all over, we're sick of how Tesco (greedy greedy) have treated us, and we're abandoning them.

I'm no longer in need to give them my money, I only used them for a handful of things (coffee pods and cat litter) but can now get them more conveniently and cheaper elsewhere.

so that's it, I'm no longer dependent on Tesco, my mum can't imagine anything worse, she will shop there til she dies..probably.

how do you feel about them? cut the cord? or still love them?
Total Debt in Feb 2015 - £6,052 | DEBT FREE 26/05/2017
Swagbucks £200 Valued Opinions £100
Dave Ramsey Baby Step 2 | Mr Money Mustache Addict

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I don't go, they're a 12 mile round trip. I do pop in once every 4-5 weeks, just for their 95p Korma curry and if Pepsi's on a special deal. But that's about it. Then I check out the price of their cheapo beans ...sometimes I buy, often I don't.

Given a choice, Asda always looks exciting. I don't go there either as it's a long round trip ....and you get tempted by stuff you didn't go out for.
  • Tesco's works fine for me but I also use morrisons, asda Co-op and Sainsburys, really I can see no problem with using Tesco's they haven't treated me badly personally x
    "Sealed Pot challenge" member No. 138

2012 £ 3147.74 2013 £1437.532014 £ 2356.52
  • rockm87
    rockm87 Posts: 847
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Forumite
    I switched supermarkets and saved over half weekly, it was crazy!

it took me so long to shop there, as I had to work out 'best buys' and value for money, and there is masses of choice, it took a while.

I couldn't always get on with the 'deals' and prices that never seemed consistent week in week out and fewer and fewer value items on offer.

I used to get vouchers for products, that ended up being more expensive when the voucher was issued, so I never really 'got a bargain'...

I don't take it personally, the'yre a business and they're there to make money, I just think they've made some poor decisions which have been very costly, and I 'd rather shop elsewhere.

I also think their fresh food quality can be poor.
    Total Debt in Feb 2015 - £6,052 | DEBT FREE 26/05/2017
    Swagbucks £200 Valued Opinions £100
    Dave Ramsey Baby Step 2 | Mr Money Mustache Addict
  • I don't mind them and the quality of their products is generally not too bad (some is crap, e.g. "fresh" fruit and veg) but don't find them to be good value at all. On a par with Sainsburys and sometimes more than them, with shops that aren't great (but not that bad either).
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    rockm87 wrote: »
    how do you feel about them? cut the cord? or still love them?

Neither, I live a minutes walk from Morrisons and work across the road from Tesco and shop in them because they are there. Apart from Iceland they are my only choice.

If they both sold up and new supermarkets moved into the buildings I would shop with them.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Used to shop at Tesco's a lot at one point when I had a late finishing job in London. Only real reason i used it was it was the only 24hour supermarket at the time and it was on the road I had to come into my home town.

Then once I was then based in another job in my home town I stopped using Tesco less and less. Used Sainsburys from then on because it was near my place of work.

I've since stopped using Sainsburys for basic stuff as they are as as expensive as Waitrose and I am not paying that.

Do most of my basic shopping Aldi's now then I only go to the other supermarkets now when I want something I like from them that I know they only do.

I recently revisited my Tesco Extra and I was wondering why I felt it was so wonderful years ago.

Large shop layout but the stuff is what I can say is very few products but well spread on the shelves. What I mean is that in some supermarkets you get about 2-3 rows of product on a shelf Tesco spreads it out to 10 rows. Why.

Dirty shop and miserable staff.

And the prices are not that competitive.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Moneyshow15
    Moneyshow15 Posts: 26 Forumite
    When you cut the cord long enough they send out out-of-sequence vouchers that mean free delivery to shop online. Then I stock up on the cheap stuff where a brand name makes no difference to the quality like bleach, disinfectant, and so on, put enough cheap stuff together and it lasts long enough to get to the next set of vouchers.

They're not my local store though so I just walk to the local Sainsbury's in either direction now, since they price match with Asda they're cheap enough. If I had a car then there would be the petrol price comparison to do. Otherwise they've dropped to average from their peak a decade ago.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Stopped using Tesco on principle. They got shot of 1/3rd of their shopfloor staff and replaced them with people on the workfare scheme in my area.

As a result, they have seen a huge drop in trade.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• faerielight
    faerielight Posts: 1,865
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I have found Tesco's price increases so steep, I can no longer afford to shop there online, I want to shop at Aldi as their fresh fruit and veg is nicer than Tesco, but I have disabilities and my Aldi is nowhere near a car park, so I hope they get online at some point!
    Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE :)
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    PlutoinCapricorn Posts: 4,598
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My strategy is not to let them profit from me, which means that I buy only yellow sticker end-of-day bargains and special offers.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport