MSE News: New 26-30 Railcard to be trialled...

A nationwide trial of the new 26-30 Railcard will start on Tuesday, but if you want to get one you'll have to go quick, as there are only 10,000 available...
Read the full story:
'New 26-30 Railcard to be trialled nationwide - but there are only 10,000 up for grabs'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Can it be made available in a plastic card please, not just digital. There are accessibility issues with digital/app only and there should be a choice. A plastic card is easier and simpler.
  • mpa91
    mpa91 Posts: 26
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I am 26 and my existing 16-25 railcard expires in September. Worth me getting this railcard too in case it’s not available more widely come September, or is it likely the trial will have finished by then?
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What on earth is the point of the 10,000 limit?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,443
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    VT82 wrote: »
    What on earth is the point of the 10,000 limit?
    Seems quite simple to me.

My guess is that they want to continue to receive full fares from the people that do not form part of that first 10,000.
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    mpa91 wrote: »
    I am 26 and my existing 16-25 railcard expires in September. Worth me getting this railcard too in case it’s not available more widely come September, or is it likely the trial will have finished by then?

You'll only get the benefit for six months as it's valid for a year. And you've already paid for the card you have for the remaining six months. If you live in the SE, then maybe get a Network Railcard in September? At least you'll get a year out of that for the same price.
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    KeithP wrote: »
    Seems quite simple to me.

My guess is that they want to continue to receive full fares from the people that do not form part of that first 10,000.

They either want to promote rail travel amongst 26-30 year olds, or they don't.

The infrastructure they put in place will either work, or it won't. If it doesn't, the fact that there are 'only' 10,000 people affected will not be much relief.

I still fail to see the point of an arbitrary 10,000 limit.
  • mpa91
    mpa91 Posts: 26
    Forumite
    aj23 wrote: »
    You'll only get the benefit for six months as it's valid for a year. And you've already paid for the card you have for the remaining six months. If you live in the SE, then maybe get a Network Railcard in September? At least you'll get a year out of that for the same price.

I live in the SE but travel fairly regularly to Manchester to see family etc and therefore will definitely still get my money's worth over the 6 months. The question for me is, come September, will I be able to get hold of the 26-30 railcard or will I be stuck on having to pay full fare.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,552
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Well. The website crashed today so perhaps they are not ready for the nationwide roll out yet.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,443
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    VT82 wrote: »
    They either want to promote rail travel amongst 26-30 year olds, or they don't.
    I suggest their honest answer to that is - they don't.
    'They' being 'the railway' in this case.

However, if 'they' were the government, then the answer to your question would be 'they do', because it may attract more votes.

So 'the railway' are doing what they are told by their paymasters, but only doing as little as possible - to protect their revenue.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976
    Forumite
    Government announcement last year: 4.5 million more young people will be able to save a third on rail fares.

Then: trial for 10,000

Website swamped and crashes, people in phone queues for an hour, but now already sold out in about a day.

Worse than getting a Glastonbury ticket, was one comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure