Earthgirl's Final Battle

Hello all,

My last diary was unceremoniously deleted by the powers that be, and although I have tried to get it back the nice people at MSE towers can't reinstate it (just doing their jobs). I think the title might have offended somebody :(

So as my last post was my goals for 2018 - where I laid out my plans for 2018 and hope to finally pay off this mortgage taken out in Nov 2013 - Its actually quite a good time to start a new diary.

This will be my final battle - I have £11, 687 to pay off. I am also saving for holidays and travel.

Thanks to the ed team for giving me access to a few posts - here is my last post:

We have saved £28,000 towards our mortgage in 2017. Providing we pay the endowmwnt payments £50/month each times 2 endowments for 1 year and 3 years respectively, and that the endowmets make the mid estimated pay out, we need to find £11, 687 to pay off the mortgage.

At one time I wanted to get that paid off in 2017, but I wouldn't swap the holiday for OHs 50th, which was our other big expense this year.

So goals for 2018

**Health**
Whole family lead an active and healthy life (sleep, hyrdation, 5 a day, healthy food, acitve every day, less alchohol). I'm pretty well organised with this.

**Wealth**
Save £1000 per month to pay off mortgage by 2019. This is the year!
Make an extra £400 / month an allocate to holidays and travelling
Subject to revision if OH has periods of no/low income.

**Life Well Lived**
Lots of activities with family
one to one time with kids and oh
be present and mindful - less distractions when with family
plan travel and holidays
make more time for all of our hobbies - reading, gardening, languages, boys football.
seeing friends and family a priority (cheaply, and for the kids too!)
simplify life a bit more, and declutter life and home."

And for good measure here is my first post from my last diary:

My new diary is so named as the first morning we woke up in our new house after running out on our old life, we all ended up dancing around the living room playing air guitar to this tune. DH and I had a bit of a moment as reality set in!

We decided fairly quickly to move on from our old secure little life, with reasonably secure income and no mortgage, to take a chance on our dream house by the sea. With a bit of stress and 'homelessness' in the middle we now the owners of a lovely family home on the west coast of Scotland. We had savings of about £250,000 thanks to mse and this board in particular, we have spent about £20,000 on the move itself, and now have to pay off £147,500 for our new mortgage.

Only problem is we have little income as I gave up my job and dh is remodelling his business, but we have lots of positivity and determination!

I'd like to set a target of paying it all off in ten years. I'd like to pay off £10,000 in the next 12 months.

Off we go.... ![](http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/action-smiley-033.gif) ![](http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/action-smiley-033.gif)

old diary here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3978475"
15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection

Comments

• A pity about your old diary, but wow! You’re on the home run now! And in less than 10 years too. That is very impressive!
    I like your goals for this year too. Good luck!
  • Courgette
    Courgette Posts: 3,230
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Whaaaaattttttt???? Your diary was deleted!?!?! Why????

But WOW!!! £11k to go! You are an inspiration!!
    A reminder to myself: Persistence Pays Off ;):D :idea: :rotfl:
    Mortgage 1: [STRIKE]£95,000[/STRIKE] £78,900 at 3.1%
    Mortgage 2 (BTL): £83, 489.15 at 2.99% (I.O.)
    Savings (S&S ISA): £3000 Plus 6 months emergency savings earning 3%
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,113
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    11k is nothing for you EG, this is definitely your year!!
    Mar 2024 - part 1 - £31,656 part 2 - £25,019 Total - £56,675 44 months to go!
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,671
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 13 January 2018 at 9:55AM
    Gosh, soooo frustating to be deleted! I'd be gutted to lose all the info I'd written down and the chance to look back on my progress. Maybe I should start a new diary, just in case I get wiped...!

I read on someone else's thread - who it had happened to recently - that it could be due to the location of the SPAM button which is on the right side and easy to press when scrolling down on a mobile phone. And too many spam mentions = deletion it seems. Basically, a design fault.

Glad you were able to access some posts and have hit the ground running.

Go girl!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What they all said! So sorry to hear about the deletion ... and yes, I realise now, accidental pushing of the spam button can have as bad an effect as too much spam being posted :(

You really are on the home stretch now! £12k plus travel - loving it. Subscribing again right now :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Thank you so much for coming and posting - I really appreciate it! Took me a week to get over just losing everything I'd thought and written down over 3.5 years.

But I was mainly worried that i'd lose all the constructive comments, ideas and support - that's what really spurs me on! You have made my day - thank you!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection

• I read on someone else's thread - who it had happened to recently - that it could be due to the location of the SPAM button which is on the right side and easy to press when scrolling down on a mobile phone. And too many spam mentions = deletion it seems. Basically, a design fault.

Yes, this is the reason - the system has a threshold and then auto-deletes. A combination of the removal of the occasional real spam post and accidental scrolling has resulted in some much loved threads disappearing. Good luck with your final push!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Oh sweetheart :( that's awful. I'm really glad you started up again, and I'm really glad you posted the link on my new diary, that was definitely the right thing to do once you're able to face posting again. It does make me think ...

It sounds like you don't feel as bad as you did, but take care of yourself, okay?

x
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • cookie9
    cookie9 Posts: 764
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oh EG so sorry about your old diary. Glad to see you posting on this new one.
    MFW 91 op 2014 £410/1000
    MFW 91 op 2015 £4051/4000
    MFW 91 op 2016 £4040/4000
    MFW 91 op 2017 £812/4500
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 9,898
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I'm very sorry to hear you lost your original thread. Having lost a blog once I know it's big thing. I think there's is a way of saving or printing threads, isn't there? Perhaps look into that one so you can keep your progress from hereon in.

Anyway, good to see the new thread, I'm about to subscribe. :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.5K Travel & Transport