can we claim bank charges back???

my daughter bought a car via barclay finance about t years ago. since then ahe lost her job and is now in a much less well paid job. She has been late with payments on car on numerous occasions and gets charged £22 each time. is she able to ask for these charges back or not???
thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    is she able to ask for these charges back or not???

She can ask for them back. However, it is up to them if they feel a goodwill gesture is in order or not.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 October 2014 at 3:04PM
    sitcom321 wrote: »
    my daughter bought a car via barclay finance about t years ago. since then ahe lost her job and is now in a much less well paid job. She has been late with payments on car on numerous occasions and gets charged £22 each time. is she able to ask for these charges back or not???
    thanks

Well people could always try, but I will be surprised if any bank on this planet will ever do that given that it happens in numerous occasions (not just once).

Some banks will give it back as a gesture of goodwill given that it happens for the first time and people will learn a lesson, will give people warning that they will charge when this happen again. I think it is a fair thing they even do not need to do it in the first time.
  • sitcom321 wrote: »
    She has been late with payments on car on numerous occasions and gets charged £22 each time. is she able to ask for these charges back or not???
    Certainly she can ask, but the Bank is under no obligation to do so. If she does get a refund, it's unlikely to be all charges and it will definitely be a one-off goodwill payment and she won't be granted more refunds in the future.
  • Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    sitcom321 wrote: »
    thanks

This is not really bank charges you are talking about, but rather consumer credit agreement default charges.

In the past I would have said follow the advice on the MSE guide to reclaiming credit card charges (which are also consumer credit agreement default charges)
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/credit-card-charges

However, note the warning at the start of the article now

This guide is archived. The information in it is out of date – please do your own research before acting on any of the information here. We’ve no plans to update this guide, we’ve left it here for reference only.

I think it means that boat has long since sailed.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If she is still in this same low paid job, is she going to keep on missing payments and getting charged.

I think she is on a hiding to nothing and maybe needs to work out a budget to manage he money better.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport