Thursday 23 October - What small DFW things will you do today?

Options
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym .

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important :money:
Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

Comments

• ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good Morning All

Dawn - Hope you're starting to feel better

Well done to everyone yesterday on some great moneysaving I made another small discovery - do not assume Poundland are cheaper than supermarket

Hubby fancied some Tunnocks teacakes so he picked a box of 6 up for a £1, when I checked in M's the same box was only 85p so would have been 15p in our pocket :o

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people. Dont forget we also have a small things on Facebook, if anyone wishes to join

Today I will:

Bake -
    Check Banks -
    Check swapits -
    Packed lunch for DH & DS - Done
    Craft -
    Enter a few comps -
    Sort emails (& unsubscribe where possible) -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Read book (from stash) - (Another win & another new author - The Strange Death of Fiona Griffiths - Harry Bingham)
    Check https://www.freepostcodelottery.com -

Right, off to sieze the day

Have a great day, love to you all

C x
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• Jond
    Jond Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Morning Ziggy and everyone!

Going for a fourth NSD in a row today :) And Payday has arrived a day early! Not that that means much these days in our post-LBM, post-YNAB state.
    So today I will:
    • Eat a free main meal at work
    • We'll have sandwiches for tea
    • Check the freepostcode lottery
    • Earn a few SBs
    • Check banks
    • Look forward to paying off some debt tomorrow!
    Have a great day everyone!
    Total Debt October '14 (LBM) = £38,287.28
    Target = New House in 2017!
    Paid off so far: £19587
    Still to go: £18,700
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

My small things for today are:-
    1. Check banks
    2. Earn SBs
    3. Not turn the heating on

Not much else today - won't be a SFD as need to post a letter and I'm going to zumba later (can't wait - had a chest infection lingering so haven't been for a few weeks).

Can't wait for payday tomorrow and then I can shift some debts and update my signature! So excited by that - definitely caught the MSE bug!
    Starting again..
  • peony40
    peony40 Posts: 645 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all,

Feeling very lacklustre today, I really must get going.

Plans for today:

Prepare a bag of potatoes, carrots, onions and sprouts for the freezer.

Batch cook stew, so I will have some extras for the freezer.

General tidy up of downstairs.

It will be a NSD!

Have a lovely day all.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
    August 2023 Grocery Challenge: Wk 2 £31.39/40 Wk 3 £35.18/40 (savings: £13.43)
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Bloody laptop just gobbled up my post, so this will just have to be a quick substitute:
    *No heating on.
    *NSD
    *Do next week's meal plans
    *Write shopping list.
    *Investigate 'Two Together' railcard.
    *Start pricing up mr f's Christmas wish list.
    *Entered my recipe in cookery comp.
    *Did surveys.
    *Made loaf in BM
    *Made dough for bread rolls.
    *Chase an ebay buyer.
    *Enjoy some leisure time, all free activities.
    Sorry, my original post which got gobbled was more interesting than this, but got to go now as bread machine has just pinged.
    Have a good day all,
    f x (Quick P.S re pound shops. Same thing with cotton wool balls. 99p in 99p shop as you would expect, but 69p in 'Boyes' (North East Midlands/North East discounter chain)
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • solvencyseeker
    Options
    Hello all,
    Feeling guilty today as did not do any of the DFW things planned for yesterday evening. Also went to Waitrose to buy two gifts (plants and wine) and somehow spent nearly £50 :eek:.
    I shouldn't be allowed out!

Today I am at work, having got a lift and all meals will be from home/the plan. Checked Bank Accounts - all is fine.

Did finally get an e-mail from energy company apologising for the delay in replying. They asked me to confirm the gas meter serial number so that they can investigate - I have already confirmed this twice, sent them a photo showing the number AND they sent someone round who has seen it in the flesh (so to speak). Apparently I have to reply to them within 5 days or they will close "the case". Bit rich seeing as it's taken them 12 days to send that pathetic e-mail. As you may sense I am getting really quite angry :mad:

Just to add to the different prices for the same thing debate. I have noticed that certain items are different prices in the same store depending on what section they are in (and not just the "foreign" shelf). For example, OH was cooking a special meal and needed some pine nuts (a luxury item I know). They have them in three places - in with nuts and stuff in the fresh fruit section, in home baking and in with wholefoods like lentils. All store brand in slightly different packaging. I guarantee they are all different prices and the cheapest is the one furthest from the door (the most expensive the one nearest).

Anyway, later I will walk the dogs, do laundry, read library book and NOT go to any shops!

Best wishes x
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi All
    What an interesting day for big retailers. Tesco announced they are down 92% on their profits. That comes hard on the heels of an interesting interview with Harry Wallop who's a bit like Martin if you don't know him, talking about the death of the 'weekly shop' I thought of all of you & our waste not want not ways. If we are even slightly indicative of the norm then the big retailers had better watch out going forward.

Ziggy you are right to be cautious with the bargain retailers often they will offer a cheaper price but for a smaller size. So not always pocket friendly as you say.
    Other tips & tricks I have noticed by sainsburys is a garlic bread is 70p in the ambient section but 40p in frozen. For the same thing. Also walnut pieces are stocked in several aisles but the baking one is cheapest. And don't get my started on fizzy water costing £1 in a small sandwich fridge section but 40p for 2 litres buried deep in the drinks aisle.

Today I have totalled our spends for the month ready for tommorows pay day. We have chopped £100 off the overdraft which is brilliant. Total spend for groceries £217 vs £268 last month. So that has definately helped us push the OD down.
    Went to the library for free books & a dvd
    Have planned a bean stew style meal for tonight to avoid the supermarket
    Walked as much as I could probably 4 miles ish.
    no heating on

Still no reply from insurer. So so rude. I feel for you Solvency Seeker. It feels so hard to have to keep pushing at these big organisations even when you know you have right on your side. It makes you think how easy it is for them to rip consumers off because without a lot of resolve they win. Keep the faith, I will too!

All for now.
    bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 October 2014 at 6:50PM
    Options
    Hello :)

I am a bit late posting today as OH and I went to the next town (to ours) to visit the market and antiques fair. Didn't spend too much, just a couple of small bits for my sales unit which should double their money (not to get too excited, we are only talking £4 and £2.50 here :rotfl:) a couple of charity shop books to feed my obsession with cookery and gardening books :o and a few ingredients for the new dish I want to make tonight (a Jamie Oliver recipe with partridges, which OH bought home the other day :))

Apart from that I have:

Cleaned a large and dirty item for sales unit - I will put some new things in tomorrow :)

Read meters and submitted readings. I am quite pleased with Ovo Energy so far, but then I was with Npower before, so admittedly starting from a low baseline.

Food from home, didn't even succumb to a coffee while out - well, it is only about 20 minutes drive away from home, so no excuse really!

Cooked some of our beetroot crop (there is a lot there :eek:). When it is cold I will chop into little cubes and freeze for winter salads.

Still to do:

Cook partridge dish It was gorgeous! I will definitely make it again
    Walk dog (not very taxing as she is old and never wants to go very far :rotfl:) OH did this while I was cooking supper
    Handful of corn for the chickens Done

Hope everyone is having a good day :)
  • GettingOrganised
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

SS - sounds so frustrating about the gas supplier, why do bigger companies have such shoody customer services?
    Bob - well done on the OD and saving on the groceries - I'm trying to get to grips with my grocery spending at the moment too
    Dawn - your sales unit sounds very intriguing, is it like a concession within a bigger shop?

Back to a fairly normal day today, I didn't get round to doing a spreadsheet for my savings account yesterday and haven't done today either, so need to add to the 'to do' list!

Only breakfast from stores today - we planned to buy lunch in today at work, which is fairly rare, so was a lovely treat. Tea was McD's with DD - we had parent's evening so it was going to be a struggle with time. The money I spent will come out of my grocery budget.
    Change into my sealed pot
    No heating on today
    Still to check birthday bingo and postcode lottery
    Still to check bank account

Haven't really done much today and not a particularly MSE day either, I need to try and get some things done over the next week when I'm off work (yeah!)
    SPC # 348 2014-£169.07/2015 - £156.89
    GC 2014 Feb-Dec £2931.62
    GC 2015 Jan £216.93/£220 Feb £291.97/£215 Mar £213.64/£220 Apr £207.62/£220
    DFBXmas2015 #40 - £3,474.61/£4,000
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you Getting Organised. Funny enough I did the same with my son today. He had a happy meal for £2.29 & I had a white coffee £1.39 & small fries for 89p so a cheap date as they say :)
    It's funny but food was always my 'thing' back in the days before we had a family. I would think nothing of spending £150 somewhere fancy. Although that isn't a factor in my debts but I couldn't imagine wanting to now. And McDonald's is our standard go to treat.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport