PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Washing machine smell

Comments

• j1n
    j1n Posts: 81
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    LadyDee, I will try soda crystals. Thanks.
  • Rainy-Days wrote: »
    I had something similar about five years ago during a very hot summer and did all the things you have done. Out of desperation I ran through a tablespoon of bleach. I placed it directly into the drum, put it on a 95 degree hot wash and I never had the issue again!

If it is bad, do it because there is nothing worse than a stinky smelling mahine! I did not harm my machine at all by the way :)

Thanks Rainy-Days, I tried this last night and it seems to have done the trick. I did a 90 degree wash with a little bleach followed by a 40 degree wash with a load of bicarb in the drum and white vinegar in the draw (I fount that bit of advice online).

My washing machine didn't smell after that so I did a wash load this morning and the washing machine still smells fine and the washing smelt good too.

I won't make the mistake of using liquid detergent again!
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Trouble is Snorkypants, the amount of liquid detergent, capsules and goodness knows what on the shelves in the shops is astounding. I remember years ago there used to be a small section for gels and liquids - not now!

Also washing at low temperatures doesn't help either! Not sure what happened with my machine though as I always leave the door open, but it just had an awful whiff about it. The usual bicarb and white vinegar did zilch and out of desperation I just used a squirt of bleach and ran it on a hot wash! Never ever had the issue again. I would not recommend doing the bleach wash too often as I guess it could make the rubber porous, but as rare one off's it's okay.
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't think the issue is with liquid detergent as such, it's with only using liquid detergent. Possibly combined with poor ventilation and leaving washing sitting in the machine ones it's finished.

I use primarily liquid detergent and low temperature washes. But for whites I use powder and a scoop of oxygen bleach.

I also use vinegar as a fabric softener for towels.

Never had any problems.
  • Rainy-Days wrote: »
    Trouble is Snorkypants, the amount of liquid detergent, capsules and goodness knows what on the shelves in the shops is astounding. I remember years ago there used to be a small section for gels and liquids - not now!

Also washing at low temperatures doesn't help either! Not sure what happened with my machine though as I always leave the door open, but it just had an awful whiff about it. The usual bicarb and white vinegar did zilch and out of desperation I just used a squirt of bleach and ran it on a hot wash! Never ever had the issue again. I would not recommend doing the bleach wash too often as I guess it could make the rubber porous, but as rare one off's it's okay.

I know, I've always used powder tablets (not liqui-tabs etc) and as ridiculous as it sounds, I just tried the liquid because I fancied trying something new. Why? It makes no sense. Laundry isn't meant to be interesting !!!!!!!

I'm planning on doing a lot of laundry in the next few days so that a lot of water goes through the machine to ensure every last trace of the bleach is washed out.
  • j1n
    Forumite
    I have just put in the bleach and it is on at the 90 degree wash. Fingers crossed.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993
    Forumite
    A wash with biological powder, if you normally use non-bio, can help apparently
  • j1n
    Forumite
    After the bleach wash at 90 degrees, I now have a washing machine that is still smelling musty, with a hint of bleach... :-) I shall keep trying other things.
  • You can get the washing machine cleaning products from Wilkinsons (Wilko) if you have one nearby. I have had smelly washer problem for a while and it is by far the most effective thing I have tried.
  • j1n
    Forumite
    clickerty-click...I will go to Wilkos at the weekend and see if I can find one. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure