Would you go to a concert on your own?

Options

Comments

• miss_independent
    Options
    Saturnalia wrote: »
    I have seen Muse twice and Oasis once at Wembley and went by myself. People tend to notice you're on your own and chat to you. After all, you've got the band in common to talk about. Not weird at all!

Thanks - this is what I was hoping for, hearing from people that had went to big concerts alone! Did you feel safe?
  • Saturnalia
    Saturnalia Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    Options
    jaxjax123 wrote: »
    I would go on my own, The breaks are no time at all. Once you've been you'll be glad you did.

That's true. By the time you've found the loo, queued and been, found the bar, queued and been served, the next band are due on stage in 5 minutes and you still have to find your way back to your seat!
    Public appearances now involve clothing. Sorry, it's part of my bail conditions.
  • londonsurrey
    Options
    How much was your friend prepared to pay?
  • miss_independent
    Options
    How much was your friend prepared to pay?

The lowest priced tickets, around £60 but all official tickets are completely sold out now. And to get two tickets on the black market works out even more expensive per person than buying one ticket on the black market basically because most people are unlikely to go alone.

I'd say £160 is my upper price limit, I can't afford to pay more than that.
  • tiny_courageous
    Options
    I go to loads of gigs on my own and travel all over the country to do so, no problem at all (my friends and OH just don't share my taste in music and that's fine). Either end up chatting to other fans or just messing about on my phone until the band starts. Live music is an absolute addiction and I'm not going to let a small thing like no one accompanying me to get in the way.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Gosh yes I'd go in a flash!!

I think a lot of bands tend to have a lovely fan base and you are with like minded people.

We went to see Guns n Roses a few years ago and it was AMAZING in the extreme.. there were a couple of knobs who were promptly ousted but we befriended a 15 y/o who had gone alone.. lovely lad..

I'd probably enjoy going on my own more TBH.. I always feel a bit 'restricted' in being myself when I am with others... I could dance and scream and sing REALLY loud on my own!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • smartpicture
    Options
    I've been to loads of concerts on my own, in some ways it's not as good, in other ways it's better. Never felt unsafe or weird though. Just make sure you know your plan for getting home, but chances are you'll be surrounded by crowds of other concert-goers at all times anyway.
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,155 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd go on my own.

I've never been to a concert by myself but only because the opportunity has never arisen. I have travelled from UK to abroad alone (buses, trains etc) to meet up with friends, though.

I went to the cinema by myself yesterday, come to think of it.
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How close are you to the venue? I'd definitely go on my own but I'd not pay those prices. If you're close enough just hang around outside, there is ALWAYS someone with one spare ticket to be rid of and if that fails I've bought tickets at less than face value from a tout once the support act was on and they were looking like going home with them unsold.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • miss_independent
    Options
    FatVonD wrote: »
    How close are you to the venue? I'd definitely go on my own but I'd not pay those prices. If you're close enough just hang around outside, there is ALWAYS someone with one spare ticket to be rid of and if that fails I've bought tickets at less than face value from a tout once the support act was on and they were looking like going home with them unsold.

Around 60 miles... Any tips on knowing if it was a genuine ticket?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure