Everest Windows _ be warned!

Hi

I am wondering whether anyone has had a similar experience with Everest Windows. I placed an order in November 2016 for new patio doors. I wasn't in any hurry to have them fitted. Later in November I came home one Friday to find a message from Everest asking me to call to arrange the surveyor appointment. As it wasn't urgent and I assumed there would be no one there that late on a Friday, I didn't return the call that day.

Early on the following Monday morning there was a knock at my door and imagine my surprise when I find the Everest surveyor on my doorstep. According to him we had an appointment, I explained to him that no appointment had been booked and I wasn't at all happy with the way it had been handled but it wasn't his fault so I let him carry out the survey.

When he left I telephoned the Customer Services team at Everest to express my dissatisfaction at the way the matter had been handled and to lodge a formal complaint. I followed up my complaint in January 2017 and was told it had never been lodged. I then re-lodged my complaint. I also threatened to cancel my order because I thought it might spur them in into doing something.

On 2 March I received a call from Everest. I asked if she was calling about my complaint and she said she calling to find out was whether I was cancelling my order. I said I wasn't and that I was still awaiting a response to my complaint. She told me I'd have to follow up on that.

She have me the details of the Complaints Department and the call ended. From the beginning she was very curt to the point of rudeness and this continued for the duration of the call.

Imagine my surprise this morning, when I receive a badly written letter from Everest telling me they have cancelled my contract and they are keeping my £300 deposit!

I'm not impressed. Be warned!

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Demand the £300 back!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    get the £300 back and go to a smaller independant window seller/fitter, after getting some recomendations
  • JEN22
    JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
    You SHOULD NEVER BUY FROM THE LIKES OF Everest Anglican they rip you off big time

stick to local manufacturers in your area
  • Regardless of whether you shouldn't have ordered from Everest, when were you planning on having the doors fitted, given that it's now 4 months since you placed the order?

Did Everest know about you wanting to delay fitting prior to you complaining?
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Have they given you the basis on which they intend to keep the deposit? In hindsight do you wonder if lodging a formal complaint just because someone turned up unannounced for the survey was perhaps a bit OTT, what was the "something" you hoped to spur them into doing by threatening to cancel the order?
  • Cambie
    Cambie Posts: 31 Forumite
    Under Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Reg 2013 the OP is entitled to a full refund of the deposit if it is a distance or off premise contract. The deposit must be returned within 14 days of the cancellation notice.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Cambie wrote: »
    Under Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Reg 2013 the OP is entitled to a full refund of the deposit if it is a distance or off premise contract. The deposit must be returned within 14 days of the cancellation notice.

the order was placed in november

the OP hasnt been back in over a week
  • Cambie
    Cambie Posts: 31 Forumite
    I realise that photome.

Cancellation rights for off-premise contracts last 14 days after the consumer receives possession of the goods.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    JEN22 wrote: »
    You SHOULD NEVER BUY FROM THE LIKES OF Everest Anglican they rip you off big time

stick to local manufacturers in your area

I do agree in general.

However those Anglicans have some lovely stained glass windows.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Cambie wrote: »
    I realise that photome.

Cancellation rights for off-premise contracts last 14 days after the consumer receives possession of the goods.

Doesn't that depend on whether or not the goods are prefabricated?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure