Furniture without long delivery time?

Hi All

I need to buy a couple of sofas to furnish a new house but I don't want to wait 12 weeks for delivery.

Where's the best place to get some decent-ish, reasonably priced furniture from that don't take too long for delivery?

Also: which furniture shops generally offer the best value for money? For example some of the stuff in Next is nice but the prices make my eyes bleed!:D

Cheers!

Z

Comments

• jfdi
    jfdi Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Ikea??

10 more char
    :mad: :j:D:beer::eek::A:p:rotfl::cool::):(:T
  • Zither
    Zither Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    jfdi wrote: »
    Ikea??

10 more char

Haha an obvious choice! I was thinking something a bit more mid range tho? Next, B+S, House of Fraser and so on!:)
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    John Lewis, or even better, their outlet in Swindon if you are nearby?
  • Zither
    John Lewis, or even better, their outlet in Swindon if you are nearby?

Nowhere near Swindon unfortunately! I hadn't thought about John Lewis tho and there is one near here. Do JL keep their own stock so they can deliver quickly-ish?

What are people's thought on oak furniture land?
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Don't knock Ikea till you've tried.

I've bought 2 sofas recently for £300/£350 and I'm very happy with them. I have another in the same style which I bought second hand for next to nothing and purchased covers to match the new ones and however old the 2nd hand one is it's still just as comfortable as the brand new ones and looks great.

Far better than the £1000 sofa I bought from furniture village a few years ago which was uncomfortable and looked a right state after about a year.
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Another option for furniture is Wayfair, though I have no experience of sofas from them I have bought other items which were delivered quickly.
  • Zither
    Hoploz wrote: »
    Don't knock Ikea till you've tried.

I've bought 2 sofas recently for £300/£350 and I'm very happy with them. I have another in the same style which I bought second hand for next to nothing and purchased covers to match the new ones and however old the 2nd hand one is it's still just as comfortable as the brand new ones and looks great.

Far better than the £1000 sofa I bought from furniture village a few years ago which was uncomfortable and looked a right state after about a year.

Sorry didn't mean to knock Ikea - wasn't intentional. Had a look there a couple of weekends ago and the sofas just 'didn't do it' for me. I'd buy pretty much anything else there tho! And probably will.

Take your point on furniture village tho - also had a look there recently and I just came away thinking 'how can they charge so much'!! It's mostly just wood and fabric.

Hence why I was wondering where the wise MSE crowd buy your furniture!
  • Zither
    Hoploz wrote: »
    Another option for furniture is Wayfair, though I have no experience of sofas from them I have bought other items which were delivered quickly.

Like the idea but it's a bit like clothes - you just can't tell until you see them in person - fabric, dimensions, feel. Bought some really decent bathroom flat pack furniture from there recently though. So more interested in high street stuff. Thanks tho! :)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    check the local independents for ex display and return stock.

don't rule out top second hand there are some good buys out there even top end stuff people are just changing for reasons unknown.
  • another_casualty
    another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Beales are very good,and not too expensive :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure