Finances as a couple

Comments

• matt_66
    matt_66 Posts: 93 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper!
    The arrangement Mrs Matt_66 and I have is as follows -

We calculate our own monthly "net incomes" - Salary less personal insurances, car running costs, mobile bills and gym subs.

We then have a total "net income" and we each pay the appropriate proportion (around 70:30 as I earn alot more than Mrs) into the joint account from which the house running costs (H&L, rates, mortgage, TVL, Broadband) etc come out of.

What's left in each others personal accounts are for personal use. She needs to have a social life as do I. If one of us wants to buy something expensive (Mrs bought an expensive concert ticket last week, I need some new running trainers) we do say to the other we are doing so in course of normal conversation but I don't think a situation would ever occur where we would want to veto the other as we just don't have that expensive tastes.

When it comes to savings, we both save what we can (Me more as I have more disposable income) and what we each have saved is our own, to be used if needed. However it is in theory for the deposit on the next property purchase (if we ever decide to move)
    2016 saver #80 - £8,379 / £11,000
  • If they are books your both going to be reading then joint account, however if you both favour different genres or one reads more often than the other then personal.
    Can be applied to most expenditure really.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Catkins - You could be writing my post for me LOL
    Agree with everything you say, we were married at about the same time, there was no our / yours / my money as in those days there was no spare money after bills ect, in fact I could only afford the bus one way to work so had to walk there and bus back LOL
    Still only have 1 account now and although we have separate ISAs I actually run both of them online, if there was such a thing as a Joint ISA we would have that instead.
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • Hi, my husband and I opened a joint account directly after getting married. The hiding presents from each other is tricky, but we usually say don't look at the statement, which is kind of fun! And it's good to know where the money is going, and if like us one becomes unfit for work, then all of one salary is needed for all expenses. We always discuss and agree on what we can and can't buy for ourselves, and we find ways around budgeting to accommodate things we desire as well as what are essential. We find this works well, we don't argue, and we want the other to have what they want. It does mean we are quite realistic about what money is available and what is an affordable expense for us. I find it makes us very close as a couple, we are a unit. Good luck!
  • This has been very interesting, especially seeing how the topic can stray and, as someone else said, how many responses are "My way or the highway". A lot of people think personal accounts once married are just plain wrong. Others consider it essential. But the question was: "I am interested in what types of things other couples who use this type of system [a joint account and a personal account each] for their households would put under the heading of personal spends."

The answer as far as I can see is that however you manage these accounts there will always be a question (and maybe disagreement) over what is fair. All our household's income goes into the joint a/c. But however poor we were we always transferred weekly "pocket money" to personal a/cs (as little as £3 each in the early days) so we could have a little treat (or save for a big treat) without worrying about whether the cost was justified. (I should say that the spender was the one worrying about that, not the other way round, neither would begrudge a treat!)

More recently a few lump sums have come along (completed endowments, an inheritance, pension lump sum) which are divided between joint savings, house spending and a bit each for personal spends.

We decide ourselves what account to spend from, and no-one ever checks up, so there is total trust. Our guidelines are that if it is "needed", or for the home, or for both of you, it is joint. If it is just wanted, or "extra", it is your own expenditure. On the books, I would say they would only be joint if you know you both want to read them, or they are for reference (eg a travel book for a holiday).

There will always be grey areas - a lot of our CDs are joint, but not all. Clothes may be needed, but in my case they are usually extra (or needed, but could have been bought more cheaply!) Hubby may think a new TV or hi-fi is needed, whilst I am happy with what we have. The answer surely is to ask as you go along? We still do sometimes, after 30 years doing this (often because I see something for the home and buy it, then check later if it is "me or us" for accounting purposes).

For those who say this is all joint money anyway, so why bother, it is just what we prefer. I often buy myself clothes, massages and lunches out with friends. Hubby may spend none of his money for years, but recently bought a classic car. We see these as extravagances, and would be uncomfortable doing it with joint money.

It seems to me that having all your money in one pot only works if saving and spending patterns match in the couple, otherwise one may worry about (or resent) the other's expenditure. Once you are more well off, all these problems tend to disappear!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,578 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    We had this debate yesterday.

OHs' ipad is playing up so he says can he change it. I said as mine was changed from my personal spends account in February and I have just paid out for a holiday again from my personal spends because it is with my sister and not OH I thought he should pay for it from his personal spends account rather than our joint one. He looked slightly miffed at this though simply because he is much more wasteful with his money than I am with mine so I strongly suspect that there is not enough in it. He has never made a packed lunch to take to work, constant ebay parcels to do with his hobbies whereas all that comes out of mine is haircuts and the occasional bit of clothing and kindle books.

I pointed out our joint account has taken a hammering as we bought new laptops each in the summer, have just helped our daughter with moving costs, installed a new boiler and paid out for a new car for him (plus insurance etc) as he retires the end of this month and his company car has to go back.

He did understand and we have agreed to have the discussion again when his pension lump sum pays out hopefully in November.

I think the only way to avoid arguments between couples is for everything to be divided fairly regardless of who earns the most so we have always had the same amount of personal spends. £250 each per month at the moment. As skinnyliz says the difficulties come when one wants a new Hifi/TV and the other thinks it is ok. So long as each communicates their point of view and listens to the other with an open mind though this should avoid the majority of arguments.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Everything we buy gets paid for out of the joint account.
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    I think it depends on when couples get together and would be all for everything shared if myself and my partner got together in our teens or early 20's when neither of us had anything but as we didnt meet until late 30's we keep our money seperate and thats what works for us. We keep everything seperate as we have very different perspectives on money, very different credit histories and keeping it seperate works for us.

like others have said, there isnt right or wrong ways, just what is right for individuals.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ali-t wrote: »
    I think it depends on when couples get together and would be all for everything shared if myself and my partner got together in our teens or early 20's when neither of us had anything but as we didnt meet until late 30's we keep our money seperate and thats what works for us. We keep everything seperate as we have very different perspectives on money, very different credit histories and keeping it seperate works for us.

like others have said, there isnt right or wrong ways, just what is right for individuals.

We got together at the same sort of age you mention and we keep our money jointly, so your age theory doesn't work with us!
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Slinky wrote: »
    We got together at the same sort of age you mention and we keep our money jointly, so your age theory doesn't work with us!

Its not a theory, so much as a personal observation based on my own circumstances. ;)
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure