❄❄ Let It Snow ❄❄ :: Christmas 2012 Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• JennieCharm
    Options
    kez_s wrote: »
    Congratulations Will-Be-Debt-Free!

Can anyone suggest a Christmas DVD for our Christmas Eve hamper? Last year we had Nativity which we loved and I'd never heard of it until I saw it mentioned on here last year.

We've most of the main classics, Miracle on 34th Street, Elf, Bad Santa, Santa Claus, etc., and we saw Arthur Christmas at the cinema so trying to find something none of us have seen. I've looked at the Christmas releases for this year and there doesn't seem to be a lot. My children are 7 & 5 if that helps and looking for something that has the same amusing but Christmassy feel like Nativity. The only film I can see that we haven't seen is the Polar Express, we did have it for ages via Love Film but never ended up watching it and I've read some quite depressing reviews.

Any help would be appreciated as it's the one thing for this year I'm really, really stuck on!

Oh do give The Polar Express a chance, it is so wonderful - It can renew your faith in Father Christmas (and humanity) - We watch it a few times in December and I'm close to tears (in a good way) each time. Pure magic :)
  • kez_s
    kez_s Posts: 802 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your replies about the Polar Express, I don't normally bother with reviews much but because it's for Christmas Eve and part of their hamper I don't want to get it wrong, the reviews are so mixed, some saying it's boring, depressing, glum, their kids ended up crying in fear, "Tom Hanks looks like he's been killed & embalmed" then I read all the wonderful, magical reviews and I just don't want to get it wrong after Nativity being such a massive hit in our house and perfect for Christmas Eve!
    ~ What's for you, won't go past you! ~
  • kjmtidea
    kjmtidea Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Options
    I normally just read and lurk on this thread but I had to post about The Polar Express, it is amazing! I have 4 boys who are 5,6,8 and 11 who all love it, definitely worth watching :)
    Slimming World - 3 stone 8 1/2lbs in 7 months and now at target :j
  • Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    kez_s wrote: »
    Thank you for your replies about the Polar Express, I don't normally bother with reviews much but because it's for Christmas Eve and part of their hamper I don't want to get it wrong, the reviews are so mixed, some saying it's boring, depressing, glum, their kids ended up crying in fear, "Tom Hanks looks like he's been killed & embalmed" then I read all the wonderful, magical reviews and I just don't want to get it wrong after Nativity being such a massive hit in our house and perfect for Christmas Eve!

I think saying Tom Hanks looks embalmed is a bit strong. He does look strange(to adults who know it is him) but it is an animation, and he plays lots of rolls.
    The man on top of the train is strange looking and a little creepy, but he is the doubt in the boys head. I just said to my neice ' Oh he's not nice, he doesn't believe in Santa .' and she wasn't frightened. She just thought he was a silly grumpy man.
  • Hollie84
    Hollie84 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The polar express is the most magically happy christmas film i have ever seen,im that sad i watch it months before christmas.it really is a lovely film and not scary at all.i would love to have a chance to feel the real atmosphere of that film at christmas
  • candyandstripes
    Options
    Reading all this I feel like I'm missing out as I've never seen The Polar Express :O
    Target £25,000 | £15,008 Saved
  • Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Reading all this I feel like I'm missing out as I've never seen The Polar Express :O

:eek::eek::eek:

Oh you must . All this talk of makes me want to watch it right now. :D

Dd is at a birthday party tonight, I may just have to put it on .:snow_grin:snow_grin
  • Snugglebunny8
    Options
    It's funny, Ive read other people reviews of some of my absolute favourite movies and books, and sometimes it feels like they were watching/reading something totally different!

guy on top of train can be a bit scary I guess, but I think young children look at your reaction, so if you laugh at him (he is quite funny!) they will too, mine have always loved it, I think it's the most magical film - when they see the North Pole for the first time, 'the first gift of Christmas' the bit where the reindeer are dying to take flight and they are stopping them, there's parts where it's very famous music the kids will know (Jingle Bells etc) and the musical score is just amazing, you will be humming it for ages! I can't recommend it highly enough myself:grin:

a lot of it with the kids is about friendship andit's very warm and gentle too - I watch it constantly in December! :grin:
  • Snugglebunny8
    Options
    here's the link for the Yankee Winter Wonderland tealights - the best price Ive found anywhere for these, I'm hoping mine will arrive today!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=yankee+candle+winter+wonderland+tealights&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ayankee+candle+winter+wonderland+tealights&ajr=0
  • sugaJen
    sugaJen Posts: 475 Forumite
    Options

Me too!

Got some xmas activity books from home bargains yesterday 69p each, 4 different ones. The elf can bring those for the days DS2 isnt at nursery. Does anyone have ideas for the elf to bring/do things for the older ones, its mainly for DS2 benefit but I have 2 girls 10 and 11 and another boy 14.
    Good enough club member number 14
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport