My Dubious Attempt at being a Grown-Up

Options

Comments

• Lina_T
    Lina_T Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 June 2014 at 9:28AM
    Options
    t2rry wrote: »
    I envy your to do lists.

Actually, I envy the fact that you actually do the things on your to do lists!

I usually spend all my time making the list, then feel better and have a cup of tea! :coffee:

Hi T2rry, thanks for popping back over and I'm glad you like my to-do lists! They are seriously the only way I keep any sort of control over my life :rotfl: I do still have a cup of tea before doing anything on them though.

And on that note:

To-Do List for Today

[STRIKE]Oversea gas man fitting the hob - hopefully he turns up today. [/STRIKE]Done, oven and hob finally in and looking very shiny and beautiful!

[STRIKE]Go to my Mum and Dads for tea.

Prepare lunches and clothes for tomorrow.[/STRIKE]

Declutter 5 Items.

Little MSE things: Entered 40 competitions, no nectar adpoints for me to do yet today.

I'm also starting the make £5 a day challenge for my Christmas fund. I might not actually make as much as £5 but worth a try! :)

I need to get in touch with Sainsbury's Energy to ask about our electricity meter and how it changes things / how much it would cost to remove. A job for tomorrow I think as I haven't got all the info with me at today.

Oven all working and shiny. Quick job and happy with the result.
  • Lina_T
    edited 24 June 2014 at 9:59AM
    Options
    So we went up to my mum and dad's for tea after having the hob fitted. We were happily eating our sausages and mash when drama of Jeremy Kyle proportions kicked off.

Basically although my Mum and Dad live in a nice rural little village, there's some land at the back of their house owned by cowboy builders of some sort. They use the place as a tip for all their junk, skips, propane drums, all sorts. Burning smelly fires every week, driving up and down the park in their van, and we actually saw children playing on a load of broken up asbestos they left lying around not too long ago. Not sure how legal a use this is for agricultural land?

Anyway my parents have so far turned a blind eye to all this (although they tipped off the council about the asbestos). Last night the bruiser who owns the land had the cheek to come knocking on our door telling my Dad to move some stuff he'd apparently dumped on his land (he definitely hadn't, it was building materials of some sort, my Dad's a postman!). So naturally my Dad noped the f**k out of that idea. Said move it yourself. It's not ours. So this guy goes away.

Next thing, he's back with one of his mates, asking my dad to "step outside" and threatening to put a brick through our window. So my Dad goes mental at him, I go absolutely mental at him, finger pointing in his face and everything (everyone was laughing at me later, I'm 5 foot 3, normally quite meek and mild and this guy had a head like a Jersey Royal and was built like a brick s***house). My Dad has high blood pressure and isn't supposed to get worked up, so I'm worrying about that while verbally tearing a chunk out of this idiot.

I stormed back in and phoned the police, police came round, guy goes away (probably to hide stuff on his land he doesn't want the police to see), complaints logged. Police go talk to him as well and basically tell him to move his own crap and stay off our doorstep. Neighbors talk to police too and tell them what a PITA this guy is. Police go away, all calms down.

And then I had to warm up my sausages and mash in the microwave.

So no, I didn't get to declutter my 5 things after all :rotfl:

Onwards and upwards! My To-Do List for Today

S[STRIKE]uccessfully declutter 5 things

Pick up home phone from Argos

Stop at retail park to buy insect repellent, wash & wax, car sponge & watering can
    [/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Order multi-surface paint, wood glue and a new latch for our gas meter box[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]
    Cook tea.

Prepare lunches and clothes for tomorrow[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Water plants & hanging baskets[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]
    Phone Sainsbury's Energy and ask about meter[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Dig out ebay item which has sold & package up[/STRIKE]
  • t2rry
    t2rry Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sounds like an eventful evening anybody could do without to say the least, what a tool!
    Debt Free I FFEF I Building Savings I 2024 Plan:
    1. Slush/Tax Fund £2,050/£5,000
    2. Additional Pension Contributions £3,300/£5,000
    3. Regular Savings £2,720/£15,000

#47 Save £20k in 2024 - £8,070/£20,000 (40%)
  • Lina_T
    edited 19 June 2014 at 12:22PM
    Options
    Ah well it livened things up a bit, not watched Corrie for 2 weeks so I'm missing a few fireworks :D

Phoned Sainsbury's Energy & EDF and cancelled the switch so that's all good.. Just need to phone them back up when my OH is with me to have my name put on the account and discuss cheaper gas tariffs :)

Talk Talk also text to say that we don't need someone to come out anymore on Monday to set up our phone and broadband. We can just plug it all in and it should work, so we'll try that later. I'm sure I remember them charging us £25 for the guy to come out and do it for us but perhaps that was the TV package on 12th July..... hmm will have to check that one. Bit cheeky if not.

Plus I already booked a day off work so they could do it, but I've got lots to do anyway so not completely wasted.
  • dimestorediamond
    Options
    Your lists seem to be working, maybe I should give them a go, haha!
  • Lina_T
    Options
    CRT86 wrote: »
    Your lists seem to be working, maybe I should give them a go, haha!

I seem to be unintentionally starting a Type-A personality club! Join us, there will be wine and compulsive list-making! Muhahaha :dance:
  • t2rry
    t2rry Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Lina_T wrote: »
    I seem to be unintentionally starting a Type-A personality club! Join us, there will be wine and compulsive list-making! Muhahaha :dance:

Sounds like paaarrrtaaayy to me! _party_
    Debt Free I FFEF I Building Savings I 2024 Plan:
    1. Slush/Tax Fund £2,050/£5,000
    2. Additional Pension Contributions £3,300/£5,000
    3. Regular Savings £2,720/£15,000

#47 Save £20k in 2024 - £8,070/£20,000 (40%)
  • Lina_T
    edited 25 June 2014 at 9:11AM
    Options
    Busy busy weekend. I was a bridesmaid for my best friends wedding on Saturday, all went well. Sunday we had quite a lot to do, food shopping, going to the tip etc.

I had the day off yesterday, and spent most of it in the garden. 12 black bin bags full of weeds went to the tip and I still couldn't see the soil! Started turning the soil over but after a solid 6 hours work had to stop halfway through, could feel myself overdoing it. Glad I stopped when I did as I can feel my bones aching today! I had a little frog keep me company while I was digging, although I eventually had to move him in a flowerpot to the bottom of the garden so he didn't end up in a bin bag too :)
    My Dad came round with the drill so we got our lovely new house sign up. The pizza delivery man knows where to come now.

To Do List for Today

[STRIKE]Phone estate agents to ask them to pick their sign up[/STRIKE] Done, should be gone in the next couple of days.

[STRIKE]Phone Hotpoint about faulty ring on the new hob[/STRIKE]. Done, coming to investigate on 1st July

[STRIKE]Water plants and hanging baskets.[/STRIKE] Didn't need too, it rained!

[STRIKE]Iron some work clothes.

Sleep. I need sleep.[/STRIKE]
  • Lina_T
    edited 26 June 2014 at 8:39AM
    Options
    Cooked a nice Curry for tea yesterday, and planning some cheddar filled fish cakes from Aldi (which are lovely by the way, fully recommend!) with beans and maybe some proper chips. OH is off work today so I'm hoping he gets a fair bit done in the house or garden (although he looked very comfy in bed this morning so I'm not holding out too much hope) :rotfl:

Anyway, he's sorting out an appointment with a Talk Talk engineer to come out at some point as our phone and broadband aren't working. I need to rearrange the appointment for the TV engineer.

Think I'm going to set up a spreadsheet for my finances today. I trialed YNAB which I've seen mentioned a lot on these forums but just couldn't get along with it, I think I'll stick to a simple Excel spreadsheet.

Also, my diet is starting properly today. I don't have a huge amount to lose (15 lbs) but I just feel so terrible and uncomfortable in myself and I need to do something about it. I'm trying my hand at Intermittent Fasting (IF) so I'm going to have a window of time each day where I'm allowed to eat, and a window of time when I'm not. Sounds extreme but I've done my research and I think it will work for me, and the weight should come off pretty quickly if I'm successful. Today I'm aiming for tea time, which would bring my first fasting window to 17/18 hours. I'll let you know how I get along with it. :A

To-Do List for Today

Set up a finances spreadsheet and important information folder on my google drive (and make sure to make it private!)

Rearrange Talk Talk TV appointment

[STRIKE]Water plants & hanging baskets[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Cook tea[/STRIKE] Didn't need too, OH had cooked me some when I got home :)
    [STRIKE]
    Top up electric meter & go Morrisons for OH brother's & my Grandma's birthday presents.[/STRIKE]
  • Lina_T
    edited 23 July 2014 at 3:00PM
    Options
    Sorry for the break, had a lot on but back with a bang! :money:

This weekend we stayed in Liverpool, it was a hotel stay I won as part of a blogger marketing thing (I have to write a review) and included the one night stay, 3 course meal and a bottle of wine and brekkie in the morning. Ended up being a bit spendy anyway because I bought new shoes and a bag I didn't really need, 24 hour parking and drinks at night.

Due to go out for a curry tomorrow evening with friends. Wish I'd made an excuse really, I could do without spending the money and also the calories! Will have to suck it up and go now, but for the future do any moneysavers have tips on how to politely excuse yourself from spendy social occasions without seeming like a misery guts? I feel like I'm always making up lame excuses (sick, family birthday etc).

Other news, the OH's sister mentioned a job going at her place which sounds up my street, city center location, higher pay etc. She's going to find out more info today hopefully.

Bloody work experience kid in again today, I'm landed with helping them yet again. Boss expects me to do all my own work just as quickly, plus I hate doing it, stresses me out :mad: He just asked me to do something I've already done twice but he's lost it, so here I am doing it a third time.

Anyhow, stop moaning;

To-Do List for this week

[STRIKE]Cook peri-peri chicken for tonights tea

Make lunches
    [/STRIKE]
    Go to the tip NOPE - C/Fwd.

[STRIKE]Pay in cheque at bank [/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Help my baby sister move house on Saturday[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Phone Talk Talk regarding what imbeciles they are[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]
    Write hotel review and email it[/STRIKE]

Lose another 2lbs :cool: NOPE - C/Fwd.