I need help opening A Bank Account without Proof of Address?

2»

Comments

• Why does OP not open an account at the same bank as employer and ask him to introduce him and confirm his address.
    If employer is legitimate this should be ok.
  • startech
    startech Posts: 59 Forumite
    Thanks Startech,

lmao........You couldn't make it up could you. Good Old Lloyds...What's an "assessment" thou?

Yeah I know, it was priceless to see how it worked, his first experience with the UK banking system lol.

The 'assessment' I referred to was just the standard credit-scoring process that HSBC goes through when deciding whether to open an account, establishing credit (ie a card, loan), etc.
  • Why does OP not open an account at the same bank as employer and ask him to introduce him and confirm his address.

lol "legitimate" Does not even come into this employers vocablary, I wouldn't be supprised if his employer is having problems opening an account himself.

From hear say I've heard that he's just be investigated by the inland revenue and, this is why the sudden move to become legal, however apprently as no receipts or records were ever produced over the years they can only tax the work that was done during the investigation or make a guess?

I might have to repost another theard as my friends, lets say his name is Andy is now scared that he might have to date back all his taxes till when he was 16, but surely they would never know...Can they do that?

Oh I dunno I'm just a law abiding citizen tryin to help a old fashioned, dim witted friend who prob has £10,000's stored under his mattress from all the money he has saved up over the years.

Also NI contributions have never been paid, so it's probably best now that he is legal so he can at least get a pension when he's older.

But what does he do about the money? I suggested mabye a trip to Spain to store the money there, at least it's safe from fire or theft etc..

AzzA
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Is your address up to date with HMRC? If so ask them to send you a P2 coding notice and use that as proof of ID. We get loads of requests for these daily.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • any contract letter, or P60 (end of year tax form) received from employer? or is it all cash in hand?

rent book/contract may help, as may driving licence (with counterpart form).

get a prepaid card, and use the letter that comes with it..?

or a bit more beleivable (but drastic), sign up for donating blood- usually get a welcome letter of sorts..!
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • P60 not accepted as proof of address by the bank I work with.
    I am a CeMap qualified bank manager.

However, only advice that I have given outside these forums can be relied upon. Any advice I give in the forums must be verified with an external source as the forums do not give the depth of info required to give suitable personalised advise.
  • PROLIANT
    PROLIANT Posts: 6,396
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    P2 tax code notice from Inland Revenue is ok for proof of full ID if you have no Drivers License or Passport, if you have the latter the P2 will stand for Proof of address.
    Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy.
  • Extant
    Extant Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    P60 not accepted as proof of address by the bank I work with.
    any contract letter, or P60 (end of year tax form) received from employer? or is it all cash in hand?

It is horribly shady if a bank takes a P60 for any sort of KYC/ID&V process. A P60 is traditionally written by the employer, but any one can get ahold of one quite easily. They can be ordered from HMRC for free and in bulk quantities. I'd be surprised if there was anybody who took them...
    Why does OP not open an account at the same bank as employer and ask him to introduce him and confirm his address.

This varies bank to bank, and can be an absolute pain. I know that we, at least, don't take the word of employers as any sort of introduction for an employee. After all, it's not hard to open a business bank account.
    What would William Shatner do?
  • Not even a Barclays customer introducing a customer to Barclays?
  • Extant
    Extant Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Not even a Barclays customer introducing a customer to Barclays?

No. A parent/guardian can introduce a child to the bank, but we don't allow our standard business customers to introduce customers.

We do have some "known employers" who we allow to introduce people to us, but this is not a typical service and tends to be reserved for the more trust worthy commercial entities and so forth (Schlumberger, UKAEA, etc.)
    What would William Shatner do?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport