Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    moo2moo
    Yet more financial faux pas and many other disasterous decisions
    • 16th Jul 11, 11:12 AM
    Yet more financial faux pas and many other disasterous decisions 16th Jul 11 at 11:12 AM
    Chapter 3 Ė The one in which moo breaks the 10K barrier for the third and final time. Actually the 10K barrier is a mythical beast, my personal groundhog day. Seems like the instant I creep below 10k something horrendously expensive occurs and Iím right back where I started. First it was a dodgy extension which resulted in an even bigger replacement extension, then it was a car and now itís a new roof.

Since my first ever diary instalment way back in 2009 the overall debt has yo-yoíd from 35K to 9K before rocketing up to 20K and crawling slowly downwards to a smidgen under 10K. A small leak in the roof resulted in a quick patch repair and the suggestion that we have considerable remedial work carried out asap at a cost of 6K.

Things have changed dramatically since our initial lightbulb moment, the realisation that each and every month our outgoings exceeded our income. The obvious solution was to stop being a stay at home mum and get a job. Any job. As luck would have it a job found me before Iíd actually started looking. Its not the sort of thing Iíd have gone looking for but it is a truly awesome job and means I spend the vast majority of my working day with a cheesy grin on my face, the exceptions are those days when I walk through the door to a small green looking child and the aroma of vomit to see the boss on his hands and knees in a suit scrubbing the carpet. On those days timing is everything!

Since then Iíve dabbled in an awful lot of get rich quick schemes. Everything from the obvious E-baying of anything that isnít nailed down to matched betting, mystery shopping, tedious surveying and jam making which Iím finding surprisingly therapeutic which my OH finds hilarious because I hate cooking.

Left to my own devices I tend to get a bit too carried away with a few too many things with the result that there arenít enough hours in the day to do everything I want to do and quite a few things that I donít. I need a kick up the bum otherwise my days will be filled with chicken watching, jam making and book reading whilst the laundry pile grows and grows and grows.

Since the school holidays are imminent Iíve shuffled my hours around so that Iím only working mornings. OH has also shuffled his hours so that heís underfoot for almost all of the holidays too. This means minimal childcare for the demonic daughters but maximum mess as project Land Rover transformation ramps up to the next level. What started with a small hole that would be fixed in a weekend has resulted in a chassis up rebuild and the acquisition of several knackered Land Rovers from which to scavenge parts. Not having a garage means the majority of these parts are in the house which along with a train set, Scalextric, several model cars and the threat of a model boat means the house is more bachelor pad than family home. Thatís about to change!
    Last edited by moo2moo; 16-07-2011 at 11:31 AM.
    Saving for a Spinning Wheel and other random splurges : £183.50
Page 100
  • moo2moo
    Just wondered it you had considered taking the shoulder pads out of the suit jacket? Some actually look better without, and if you are never going to wear it because of the shoulder pads then you will have lost nothing if it doesn't work. If it works it will make you feel good & there is no better way of going for an interview than starting off feeling good. All the best models are tall and slender! I'm jealous! Sorry! I'll go back to lurking now.
    Originally posted by patanne
    Great minds think alike. Shoulder pads now gone. Shoulders reshaped very slightly to loose the bulge they left behind. Also removed the aistband of the skirt, slimmed down the hips and then reattached it so it no longer looks clown like. It's way better than anything else I've tried.

Had my haircut. The bob was disasterous. Didn't suit me at all mostly because the curl took over fortuanately the hairdresser was great and has tapered it into my neck and trimmed it so that the curl does it's thing but ooks like that's what it's supposed to do. It looks much better than I expected even if it is scarily short. DD1 didn't help by informing me I looked like Granny. Humph. Still everyone I've bumped into so far has noticed so I guess it makes an impact.

Documents are are together. Research on the company is done. All that remains is to actually make it to the interview and get through it without putting my foot in it. That's going to be the hard part.
  • moo2moo
    Not skeletal ... Willowy, tall and elegant .

Im jealous, Im a weeble.
    Originally posted by Mara_uk7
    Weebles are warm in winter
    • mooomin
    • By mooomin 17th Oct 13, 7:13 PM
    • 13,655 Posts
    • 134,507 Thanks
    mooomin
    Weebles are warm in winter
    Originally posted by moo2moo
    AND they don't fall down
    Comping again

Wins this year: - two night trip to Belgium, £100 Gett taxi credit, tickets to Newcastle game, FIFA 2016 for PS4, stitch markers, Cumberstitching book
  • moo2moo
    I survived the school playground in a suit. I was asked if I was due in court. I'm not convinced it was a compliment.

Should find out early next week whether the people at HQ decide they prefer me over the other three dozen candidates. Turns out the selection to interview was based on the highest scoring applicants on the on-line test rather than anything else. Now they've met us they bother to read the application forms and go through the interview questions. It's all a bit of a lottery.

Still at least I have the fun of the job centre to look forward to tomorrow.

And in even better news the new oven is finally on order so I should be able to cook stuff in an oven this side of Christmas
  • moo2moo
    The results are in. I passed all the assessments and the interview and achieved the standards required to work for the company in question but at the end of it I don't have a job. As a consolation prize I get to fast track should another vacancy arise and providing I e-mail them I don't need to reinterview to be considered. Whoooppeeee.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Oct 13, 8:03 PM
    • 43,991 Posts
    • 150,303 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope something comes along soon.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 3 stone **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. ***Keep plodding***
  • moo2moo
    Fast tracking actually works

I have a job and it's even better hours than the one I originally applied for

I now have two weeks to do all the stuff I'd planned to do this side of Christmas. Eeeeeek
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 7th Nov 13, 6:21 AM
    • 7,606 Posts
    • 17,620 Thanks
    chevalier
    Sorry to hear that you got knocked back on the job. It is soooo frustrating isn't it.....

chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Nov 13, 3:31 PM
    • 43,991 Posts
    • 150,303 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news for you

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 7th Nov 13, 10:46 PM
    • 2,801 Posts
    • 6,907 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Wooooo the universe clearly had a plan

Rosa xx
    Proud to be dealing have dealt with my debts - DEBT FREE May 2016
    DFW Diary - Balancing not just the budget
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4398229
  • moo2moo
    and so after what seems like an eternity, but is in reality only 3 weeks , I finally start my new job today, a job which comes with Doc Marten boots . In even better news I no longer have to visit the job centre on a fortnightly basis and plans are well underway for the grand opening of my Etsy shop.

I have rediscovered my uber frugal gene, the house is well on it's way to being decluttered and redecorated and all in all I'm an awful lot happier than I have been in a very long time.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 25th Nov 13, 7:18 AM
    • 3,865 Posts
    • 11,149 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Good luck with the new job .
    "Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Dream hols fund £1772.29/£4800
    Amazon vouchers £40
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 25th Nov 13, 8:00 AM
    • 43,991 Posts
    • 150,303 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great to hear

• Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 25th Nov 13, 8:09 PM
    • 5,228 Posts
    • 39,213 Thanks
    Igamogam
    That is good to hear Moo Good luck
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 1st Jan 14, 11:00 AM
    • 7,606 Posts
    • 17,620 Thanks
    chevalier
    very belatedly well done on the new job. hope that you and the family had a great xmas and a lovely new year

chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 8th Apr 14, 12:43 AM
    • 7,606 Posts
    • 17,620 Thanks
    chevalier
    Just popping in to wish you a happy Easter
    chev
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,097Posts Today

7,121Users online

Martin's Twitter