Charge for changing car insurer at the end of term

Options
I had insured my car with admiral for 5 years.
Each year they would at the end of the policy automatically renew charging me a higher rate than before and I would have to call up, threaten to leave and it would drop by ~£100.

This got tiresome to the point that last year I explicitly demanded that they call me before presuming I wanted to renew, and under no circumstances to attempt to debit my account without asking my permission. They agreed to make a note in my file.

When my insurance was close to coming near, I noticed that I could get a much better deal elsewhere and so switched provider with no gap between policies.

Not only did Admiral again try to debit my account irregardless (my debit card had been renewed during the year, hence this failed), but have written to me demanding an £82 bill to cover my car for 3 months despite it being insured at a rival firm.

I explicitly told them that they were not to presume I wanted to renew without telling me, thus do not believe I should have to pay an £82 bill.

Do I have to pay?

Many Thanks for your advice in advance.

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 October 2017 at 8:36AM
    Options
    So you're saying that for 5 years, Admiral have been auto renewing your policy without sending you renewal reminders. Admiral say...
    You will receive your renewal notice from us between 14 and 21 days before it is due; if you registered online this will be sent out in the form of an email.

Just call our Renewals department and let them know if you don't want to renew...

link: https://www.admiral.com/magazine/guides/motor/why-does-admiral

Did you register online, and if so, do they have your correct email address?

If you didn't register online, presumably they must have your correct home address.

You should ask them how they are notifying you of renewal, and what contact details they are using.
  • nick3333
    Options
    Thanks Eddy,
    Pretty sure all admiral emails would just go to my spam folder in email as they'd constantly try to sell new stuff.
    They have my postal address too and have sent a letter demanding the payment.

The issue is with my having explicitly told them not to renew my policy, do they have the legal right to retrospectively send me a bill for coverage I didn't need as I switched to an alternate provider. Or am I liable for a fee for not informing them for a second time?

Thank you
  • paddyandstumpy
    Options
    If you've had cover elsewhere for the same period let Admiral know that and they'll stop chasing you for the money.
  • Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you can prove to admiral that there was insurance elsewhere at the time, they may drop the charges.

Did you call Admiral to advise to cancel the auto-renewal, or correspond by email / post?
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP you realise taking out a new policy with someone else, then ignoring your current insurer's renewal notice, doesn't mean they will then cancel your existing policy?

Your only complaint is you technically asked on previous renewal, not to auto-renew, so they should have just ended your policy this year round.
  • nick3333
    Options
    Many Thanks all for the help.
    As i had explicitly informed them I didn't want to renew at the start and as there was no gap in coverage. I have not had to pay the charge.

Appreciate all hour advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport