PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Accepted offer on ours, got a "firm no" on first bid we made...

Options
RedfordML
RedfordML Posts: 904 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 6 October 2017 at 3:48PM in House buying, renting & selling
...elsewhere.

Sounds like they are annoyed to getting an offer!!

17k less then "guide" - its a 4, a 5 bed same close, sold 2016 for 4k less than the offer but "firm" suggests not even close!

Do we let them sweat over the weekend? Do you "ask" the agent what there client want or is that a massive no no??

Thanks

Comments

• Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Every seller is different. They will each have their own motivations, and price expectations. Some will be in a hurry, other less so.

Does £17k represent 1% of the price, or 10%?

Absolutely ask the agent, they want to agree a sale too. They should be able to advise you what the expectations of this particular seller are, and how flexible they are likely to be on price.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 October 2017 at 3:58PM
    Options
    Let them sweat. :rotfl:

You made the offer, they said no and youre now on an online forum panicking about what to do. Whos sweating?

No one can tell you. Might have a better idea if you gave selling price, time on market, feedback of any interest in the property, the financial status of the sellers as well as the reason for selling. Without this we can only assume they are willing to accept the asking price.
  • toc25
    toc25 Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    My buyer offered us less than asking price and we were quite offended by it to be honest. We said no not a chance. We ended up getting loads of offers and our buyer raised his offer by over 20k.

You will only be successful with a low ball offer if the seller is desperate I'm my opinion.
  • RedfordML
    RedfordML Posts: 904 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Haha. Surprisingly very calm.

Really, all I really wanted & should have asked is do you let the agent guide? Sounds like I should..,
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Its always worth sticking the feelers out. Bearing in mind that agent will probably know exactly what theyre willing to accept considering they probably told them how much they should accept. They also want to sell the house so they get their cut. They should be quite forthcoming although will stop short of dropping themselves in it.
  • gycraig_2
    gycraig_2 Posts: 533 Forumite
    Options
    Problem with low balling is it's a personal transaction not business. Houses or cars if someone came in with a very low offer I just lose interest in them, to much risk of gazumping or whatever it's called
  • Scotbot
    Scotbot Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 October 2017 at 5:33PM
    Options
    toc25 wrote: »
    My buyer offered us less than asking price and we were quite offended by it to be honest. We said no not a chance. We ended up getting loads of offers and our buyer raised his offer by over 20k.

You will only be successful with a low ball offer if the seller is desperate I'm my opinion.

Or if the seller has put it on at too high a price and now realises this having had little interest, particularly if the offer price matches the EAs valuations
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If someone offered very low, they would not get another chance, no way. It gives an idea that they can’t really afford the property or are likely to play games nearer to exchange.
  • Jenniefour
    Jenniefour Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Can't imagine why you think they will be sweating it out over the weekend, they've said "no" haven't they?
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Options
    RedfordML wrote: »
    Haha. Surprisingly very calm.

Really, all I really wanted & should have asked is do you let the agent guide? Sounds like I should..,

Maybe but if the agent is working properly for their client they should be trying to get the best price they can. If a property has been on the market a while then the agent may also be more inclined to give you a bit more of a heads up and guide you more.
    do your own research work out what you can afford or would be willing to pay.
    How you work your way to offering that figure is up to you after all it's your money don't worry about offending or annoying the vendor by offering piecemeal if you think they might take a lower offer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure