PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Yuck - Maggots In The Bin Help!!!

Comments

• I have found a cheap and easy way of ridding myself of any problems with maggots in my bins!!! Enter Bin Fresh... a wipe you add once a day to your bins which repels flies and therefore means no nasty maggots. The bins smell cleaner and the maggots are nowhere to be seen.

The wipes have even been tested in S.Africa in the height of the summer with great results - a fantastic idea if you ask me!
    A
    nd they cost just £7.99 for 2 months' supply - that is just a pound a week!!
    I buy them from www.bin-fresh.co.uk but I don't know if they are sold in the shops yet? Does anyone know???
    (You get a pound off for recommending a friend if you buy off the website too so all good!)

Ricky
  • fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    i have a huge problem with this.

my council collect every fortnight, there recyclein system is pants so my bin is always full by 1st week ~(i then have the nice job of jumping in it to squash the rubbish down)~
    i always end up cleaning muine out with bleach and hot water but low and behold the problem is back the following fortnight.

i dont have a compost bin green cone etc and this fortnights is going to been even worse due to the amount if food that went off over the 5 days my little one was in hopsital

i am now resorting to big wheeled bin liners 25 for 5.00
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Put your bin somewhere else and add salt. Then they don't get out so close to the house either. Few councils up here do fortnightly aswell, chaos in these areas, bags of rubbish everywhere.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • yellowmonkey
    yellowmonkey Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi

Have not got a clue where you get them from but i was told that if you put a moth ball in your wheelie bin it solves the problem.

If anyone can let me know where you can buy them i will give it a go as we have fortnightly collections down here.

ym
  • fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    fornightly collections are a nightmare, the bins start to ger smelly, mine is placed by a bush fron of my house about 3 metres from my front door i hate my bin really really do.

i have cut down alot from when we had wekly bag collection, addmittedly food gets wasted as my boys do not always eat what i have put in front of them, my bins not due to be emptyed to next wedsday so over a week to go and is stinking already (but i have had to waste lots this week just gone)

starting to think our staple should be beans on toast lol the kids love it, the bean cans get recycled and they waste none

lol i would then have am empty bin with no maggot problem
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80
  • A tip - if you have chicken carcasses or in our case, crab shells - freeze them and pop into the bins just before emptying (luckily we have a big freezer!)
    Kondo'ed 76 items from wardrobe, 4 carrier bags of books
  • lka200
    lka200 Posts: 195 Forumite
    i think that eventually we all will be having fortnightly collections. I heard/read it somewhere that it costs the council too much to do weekly collections. Pity that they havn't taken into consideration the increased vermin that will be undoubtedly be attracted to a fortnights worth of rotting rubbish, which brings more problems. It just makes me wonder what the hell they are doing with all our council tax that seems to increase every year but services are cut back....typical
    #440 sealed pot challenge
  • I once had the maggot problem. I worked out later that the cause was a bone that the dog had been chewing on on the garden which I then put in the bin. Obviousley the flies had been on it. It still gives me the shivers. i was out in the middle of the night pouring boiling water on the army of maggots crawling out of the bin and across my patio towards the house. That night I had a nightmare that the maggots had got in my bed and woke up screaming and ripping my nightie off thinking they were crawling over me. Yuk. The next morning I was glad I had not poured bleach on them as there was a huge flock of starlings feasting. i never put a bone unwrapped in the bin again. And always only on collection day.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • arlybarly
    arlybarly Posts: 985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hi
    all the councils want to do is save money but by collecting fortnightly then its creating maggots ect, all i can say our lovely BIRMINGHAM city council is still going to collect weekly thankgoodness!
  • giddykipper
    giddykipper Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just come home to find my grey/black (non-recyclable) bin full of maggots ..... we were away last week when the bin men came so the bin didn't go out (neighbours usually do it if we're away and vice versa but they obviously forgot this time) everything's in black bin liners, anyhow, just gone to put a full black bin liner in now and they were crawling over the top and when I lifted the lid they were inside on a bag (probably around 20 of them)...... I've put bleach in the bin and all over the top of it but dont know what else I can do to kill them!?

The bins are being emptied again on Monday so I can hose down and bleach properly then - but is there anything I can do in the meantime (other than practically getting in the bin with them to get the bags out and bleach/hose) to kill them??

Oh and I need a new pair of jeans now cos a sudden gust of wind surprised me whilst I was pouring my bleach and I now have a nice bright white streak right down the front of my left leg!!

Any advice?? Never had maggots before, really no idea what to do!

Thanks, Jo x
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member No: 286
    Official DFW Long Hauler No: 177
    Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business