Huawei G300 £65 from Tesco

Comments

• sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    adandem wrote: »
    Thanks sillygoose, I have tried the battery and sim and tried the sim in another phone with no problems.
    However, from the homescreen it will not let me access any settings etc. I can't move off that page at all?

If you press the left bottom soft button does it not come up with a menu with system settings option?

I have seen these emergency call only screens before, can't remember how but there is a way to cancel that and get into the phone - try pressing everything!
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thanks sillygoose, I have tried the battery and sim and tried the sim in another phone with no problems.
    However, from the homescreen it will not let me access any settings etc. I can't move off that page at all?

The phone will work with no sim in at all and just connected to WiFi.

What happens if you just press the menu button?
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've completely wiped the phone, it's working now!! Not sure I like the ICS though:o
    Much preferred the old text settings, not getting on too well with the keyboard either.
  • sillygoose
    I've completely wiped the phone, it's working now!! Not sure I like the ICS though:o
    Much preferred the old text settings, not getting on too well with the keyboard either.

But the point of Android is apps! Try from Play store (free) Perfect Keyboard better than stock and can be largely reconfigured how you like it.

I don't like Android text message app so installed and use another, Pansi SMS (lame name I know!) but its more like the traditional SMS text from older phones I prefer and has skins so you can choose a look to suit.

You name it, there is a choice to change it. The thing is ICS is more sophisticated in my experience, better memory management, better power management and such.
  • Intenso
    Intenso Posts: 147
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    sillygoose wrote: »
    Intenso wrote: »

Well I was 'lucky' enough to have my phone rooted (that was an adventure :eek:) so was able to fix just by moving some files but I will try and help you with 'the other way' that is listed.

You need to unzip the files onto your PC (I am assuming your using a Windows PC?) basically this method runs a program on your PC that via the usb gains access to the system files on the phone and repairs the dictionary ones.

Unzip the files to a folder on your PC.
    Turn your phone on, plug it into your PC and make sure USB Debugging is enabled. (not switched off!)

Find in the Dictfix folder you unzipped, the 'dictfix-windows.bat' file and double click to run it.

This should do the business. Its a good idea then to restart your phone.
    The little red lines under every word falsely claiming you spelt it wrong should be gone (unless you of course did spell it wrong! :rotfl:)

Tried this and the command promt said path not found.

Any ideas?

Its the only thing left to be sorted on ICS.
  • sillygoose
    edited 3 November 2012 at 11:57PM

Tried this and the command promt said path not found.

Any ideas?

Its the only thing left to be sorted on ICS.

On PC should have a folder called DictFix containing

<DIR> adb
    <DIR> dict
    dictfix-windows.bat
    dictfix-mac.sh
    dictfix-linux.sh

Sub Folder adb contains
    adb-linux
    adb-mac
    AdbWinUsbApi.dll
    AdbWinApi.dll
    adb-windows.exe

Sub Folder dict contains
    mempodroid
    LatinImeGoogle.apk
    args.sh
    LatinImeDictionaryPack.apk

Check you got this first.

EDIT: Also the phone must have an SD card present in it.
  • Iconic
    Iconic Posts: 1,021
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    luci wrote: »
    I upgraded using the official VF ICS and absolutely hated it. I'm sure it had even more bloatware than the original. Also the Disable Background Data was no longer available and I use that a lot.

I have just downgraded it back to GB and what a relief.

I backed up everything as instructed both times, but it didn't back up my apps. Is that normal and do you have to download apps from the Play Store every time you do an up/downgrade?

I am pleased you were able to do it. You have given me confidence to have a go. Did you follow this as Sillygoose's link earlier on in this thread http://www.modaco.com/topic/353792-original-factory-roms-from-huawei/

Cannot help you with the apps problem but that's one of the reasons I want to get rid of VF ICS!
  • Intenso
    Intenso Posts: 147
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

On PC should have a folder called DictFix containing

<DIR> adb
    <DIR> dict
    dictfix-windows.bat
    dictfix-mac.sh
    dictfix-linux.sh

Sub Folder adb contains
    adb-linux
    adb-mac
    AdbWinUsbApi.dll
    AdbWinApi.dll
    adb-windows.exe

Sub Folder dict contains
    mempodroid
    LatinImeGoogle.apk
    args.sh
    LatinImeDictionaryPack.apk

Check you got this first.

EDIT: Also the phone must have an SD card present in it.

Yes, all those files are present and I have a 4GB SD Card installed in the phone.

What I have been doing with no success is attaching the phone to the PC and then double clicking the windows Dictfix batch file. The phone has USB debugging enabled. A command box appears on the PC and runs some scripts but reports at the end of each script that path was not found?
  • sillygoose
    edited 4 November 2012 at 9:06AM

Yes, all those files are present and I have a 4GB SD Card installed in the phone.

What I have been doing with no success is attaching the phone to the PC and then double clicking the windows Dictfix batch file. The phone has USB debugging enabled. A command box appears on the PC and runs some scripts but reports at the end of each script that path was not found?

Hmm.. just tried it without phone attached of course (don't want to mess it up) and got loads of script responses like:

C:\Dict Fix\DictFix>adb\adb-
    windows.exe push dict\LatinImeDictionaryPack.apk /data/local/tmp
    error: device not found

Showing its run OK but obviously didn't find the device (phone) as adb-windows.exe is generating that message.

looking at first line of script it seems straight forward... its calling the adb-windows.exe program thats in the adb sub-folder. Passing to the utility the parameter to tell it to copy the LatinImeDictionaryPack.apk from the dict subfolder adb to /data/local/tmpadb folder on the phone in prep. for moving into the system folder on phone.

"adb\adb-windows.exe push dict\LatinImeDictionaryPack.apk /data/local/tmp
    adb"

Its hard to see because the the script closes but can you see if its even finding the adb-windows.exe? or is that utility not finding the file its supposed to copy?

If you can open a command prompt window first then run the script so it stays open to see the messages..
    (in windows 7 holding shift then right clicking on the folder gives an option to open command window here, then at prompt just type dictfix-windows.bat)

perhaps your antivirus or something is blocking something running?
  • Emy1501
    Emy1501 Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    This is a great thread. Finally decided to get one of these. I only want it for web browsing and some basic apps like bus app and ESPN goals etc. these don't need anything higher than GB so assume I won't need to update to ICS in view of problems being mentioned?

Also I note adobe flash can no longer be downloaded from play store. Can I get it from anywhere? Do most videos work without it?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport