IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Eye Court Claim

Comments

• liseylou
    liseylou Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Ive bought the book and am putting together my defence.

I have received a letter from PE which states 'ParkingEye is a car park management business contracted by the owners of private land to manage its usage in line with the landowners directions'. Therefore the comment by Salmosalaris has confused me - why would it be an issue? Are PE likely to provide me with a copy of the lease and how will that affect my defence?

da_rule, I agree about point 6 - it was very late and I wasn't reading very well so I have removed this.

In relation to the particulars of the claim, these include:
    • Claim for monies outstanding in relation to PCN
    • In breach of contract
    • ANPR captured vehicle entering/leaving c/park
    • Signage clearly discplayed (see link attached)
    • Protection of freedoms act 2012, sch 4, make keeper liable
    Not sure if this sign is clear enough, but when it is displayed at about 8ft high, it is impossible to see the small print:
    https ://forums.moneysavingexpert . com/showthread.php?t=4761489&page=2 (thread #23) This case was won at POPLA based on the charge not representing the operators loss.

In our case a valid ticket was paid for and displayed whilst the vehicle was parked, unfortunately, the signage DOESNT inform the person purchasing the ticket that they need to allow for time spent trying to find a space, parking, paying to park, then queuing to exit the car park.

I have just purchased the Pranksters book, so I will be looking for wording that allows me to defend the above point effectively.

Any other support would be most welcome.
    NEWBIES: visit the newbie sticky thread first, then create your own thread if your scenario isn't covered.

Household and travel > Motoring > Parking tickets, fines and parking > click on 'new thread' AFTER reading the newbie sticky - IT REALLY IS EXTREMELY USEFUL :wall:
  • liseylou
    First Anniversary
    liseylou wrote: »
    Ive bought the book and am putting together my defence.

I have received a letter from PE which states 'ParkingEye is a car park management business contracted by the owners of private land to manage its usage in line with the landowners directions'. Therefore the comment by Salmosalaris has confused me - why would it be an issue? Are PE likely to provide me with a copy of the lease and how will that affect my defence?

da_rule, I agree about point 6 - it was very late and I wasn't reading very well so I have removed this.

In relation to the particulars of the claim, these include:
    • Claim for monies outstanding in relation to PCN
    • In breach of contract
    • ANPR captured vehicle entering/leaving c/park
    • Signage clearly discplayed (see link attached)
    • Protection of freedoms act 2012, sch 4, make keeper liable
    Not sure if this sign is clear enough, but when it is displayed at about 8ft high, it is impossible to see the small print:
    https ://forums.moneysavingexpert . com/showthread.php?t=4761489&page=2 (thread #23) This case was won at POPLA based on the charge not representing the operators loss.

In our case a valid ticket was paid for and displayed whilst the vehicle was parked, unfortunately, the signage DOESNT inform the person purchasing the ticket that they need to allow for time spent trying to find a space, parking, paying to park, then queuing to exit the car park.

I have just purchased the Pranksters book, so I will be looking for wording that allows me to defend the above point effectively.

Any other support would be most welcome.

Sorry - I couldnt post the link so remove all the spaces the paste into your browser
    NEWBIES: visit the newbie sticky thread first, then create your own thread if your scenario isn't covered.

Household and travel > Motoring > Parking tickets, fines and parking > click on 'new thread' AFTER reading the newbie sticky - IT REALLY IS EXTREMELY USEFUL :wall:
  • liseylou
    First Anniversary
    As far as lighting was concerned, it was an extremely bright summers day - that is evident in the ANPR photo.

Also, it was very busy and took a long time to find a space - in the height of summer, when their ticket machines were playing up, so I suspect there are thousands of other motorists who used the car park that week who have also been targetted.

Likewise, it took a while to exit the car park too as there were many pedestrians walking across the exit on their way back from the beach and shops, most of the spaces had become vacant where everyone was queuing to exit the car park.

• liseylou
    First Anniversary
    Not sure if anyone has ever tried this, but could I ask a friend who received a PCN at the same time as me to provide a witness statement as part of my DQ??

They caved and paid their PCN as they were concerned of court action.

• Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    We need more details, who is the parking company? Are you being taken to court? If so have you put a defence in, or acknowledge the claim?

Sorry we are not mind readers
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • liseylou
    First Anniversary
    Sorry it was just a generic question. I will add it to my existing thread 'Tower Road Newquay' ParkingEye.

I have acknowledged the claim and am in the process of compiling my defence (have purchased PP guide). But whilst reading the guide, most threads etc state that the witness statement is n/a, but if another vehicle entered and exited at the same time, could they be a witness. Or have they excluded themselves by default as they paid their PCN i.e. does this make them look guilty?

Also, I just noticed that as I am sat in the passenger seat in the ANPR picture, I could not have been driving - Protection of Freedoms Act evidence perhaps?

• nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The land is owned by Newquay golf club but I believe that this may be the case that Parking Eye have indeed leased the car park - the manager of Tower Road stated this in an email to me some time ago (though have not seen a lease) .
    I would be absolutely astonished if Parking Eye have indeed leased this car park as that is simply not how their business model works. I know of no other car park that is leased by Parking Eye. It may be the case for some other PPCs but is definitely not for Parking Eye as they are entirely parasitical with no commitment to or involvement with the actual parking facilities offered. Their entire business model depends only on catching out unwary motorists with contrived rules for which they levy exorbitant penalties.
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    It's to late to say it weren't me as you are at the small claims stage, so they have used keeper liability in pofa 2012. I suggest you keep everything in one thread only. I will ask a forum guide to merge the threads for you.
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • I have seen a landholder witness statement for a court claim where PE claim to be the leaseholder and appoint PE to enforce car park management . This witness statement is signed by the MD of PE .
  • 4consumerrights
    4consumerrights Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    edited 26 March 2014 at 2:43PM
    nigelbb wrote: »
    I would be absolutely astonished if Parking Eye have indeed leased this car park as that is simply not how their business model works. I know of no other car park that is leased by Parking Eye. It may be the case for some other PPCs but is definitely not for Parking Eye as they are entirely parasitical with no commitment to or involvement with the actual parking facilities offered. Their entire business model depends only on catching out unwary motorists with contrived rules for which they levy exorbitant penalties.

Granted not normal busines model - but just reporting what was said -
    purchase the accounts from companies house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure