Pay Monthly Designer Handbags?

Options
Hello MSErs!!

I was just wondering if anyone out there knows of a site that sells designer handbags (i.e, Chloe, Mulberry, Marc Jacobs) but lets you pay in installments?

My current bag is starting to fall apart so I'm in need of a new one, but would love to get a decent one that's going to last and just pay it off slowly!

I know the obvious option is to pay by credit card and do it that way but unfortunately I don't have that option available to me!

Many thanks!!

Comments

• Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there Kipendo and welcome to MSE!

How much would you be looking to pay off each month? Perhaps you could make-do for a while and save that amount in a dedicated savings account each month instead. Sell a few bits on ebay to add to your fund and if people ask what you want for your birthday this year, tell them you'd be so grateful for a small donation for your " Beautiful Bag Fund".

You could then treat yourself to your perfect bag, without having the bag hanging off one shoulder and a debt hanging off the other.

Maybe not be what you want to hear, but that's what I'd tell my DD who's the same age as you :p
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think, Bronnie, it is the ONLY truely MSE way for a luxury spend, save then seek discounts/sales.
  • xxvickixx
    xxvickixx Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    edited 10 May 2010 at 8:57PM
    Options
    I would add that although a designer bag is seen as the ultimate luxury and quality, I've had bags from BHS and Debenhams that have lasted many years and withstood a lot of wear and abuse so you really don't *need* to spend an awful lot.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any woman who says that she needs a new bag because the one she has is falling apart is a liar. Everybody knows that no woman ever has just the one bag.

Lady, it's either time to save up for that luxury bag, buy a reasonably priced one which fits your budget or hit the charity shops
  • Wilma33
    Wilma33 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    Save, save, save! Please don't into debt for a handbag.
  • kipendo
    kipendo Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for all the kind words of advice everyone!

I think I really do need that bag though...! Although I am considering starting a savings account for "luxury items" - so your advice isn't on completely deaf ears!!

I have survived on cheaper ones for several years (my current one is Debenhams!) but it's pot luck whether you get one that will last the duration or not.

I work as a buyer for a living, so am out and about all over town all the time, so my bag is a really important possession, and has to be quite specific in terms of opening, compartments etc...as well as getting quite a lot of wear and tear...and I don't have any other bag that would be up to the job!
  • BitterAndTwisted
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this the right place to open up a discussion about what appears to be a radical change in people's aspirations? Normal. ordinary wage-earners thinking that a mere hand-bag which could cost a month's pay is an appropriate and sensible purchase?

I'm a wizened old hag now with very different priorities and I'd obviously heard of Cloe, Hermes, Mulberry et al when I was a lot younger but never in a million years believed that such a purchase was attainable or knew anyone who owned one either.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    kipendo wrote: »
    Thank you for all the kind words of advice everyone!

I think I really do need that bag though...! Although I am considering starting a savings account for "luxury items" - so your advice isn't on completely deaf ears!!

I have survived on cheaper ones for several years (my current one is Debenhams!) but it's pot luck whether you get one that will last the duration or not.

I work as a buyer for a living, so am out and about all over town all the time, so my bag is a really important possession, and has to be quite specific in terms of opening, compartments etc...as well as getting quite a lot of wear and tear...and I don't have any other bag that would be up to the job!

I have a couple of designer bags, gifts not my spends!, one has needed several repairs andother has merely had a few. I have a few bags from independant shops I have wished would die and they won;'t (£50 mark). Last bag oruchase was a Ness BAg reduced to £25. It has rlled around the back of DH's landrover getting hay/mud on it and has just brushed/wiped clean and smart. Something like that, young British skill and makers is not as expensive as what we term''designer'' but its cheaper and quirkier.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Coach bags can be got for less than Chloe and Mulberry and are lovely quality.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kipendo wrote: »
    Hello MSErs!!

I was just wondering if anyone out there knows of a site that sells designer handbags (i.e, Chloe, Mulberry, Marc Jacobs) but lets you pay in installments?

My current bag is starting to fall apart so I'm in need of a new one, but would love to get a decent one that's going to last and just pay it off slowly!

I know the obvious option is to pay by credit card and do it that way but unfortunately I don't have that option available to me!

Many thanks!!

Can't tell you where to get them on tick but I can tell you where to get them cheap(er):D

Shepton Mallett, Mulberry factory shop. I got a Tan Roxanne in there for £245.
    Also got a small-med black one (can't remember name) reduced to about £125 (I think).

Bicester Mulberry discount store (not as cheap as Shepton Mallet, but still good).

Got a lovely large black messenger there for under £300, should have been 6 or 7 ish I think.

:money::money::money::money::money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport