Inheritance question inc flat

Options
scrub
scrub Posts: 172 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
My mother's estate is under £325,000 which includes her flat.

Is there any advantage of putting the flat in my name now if she were to live another seven years?

Or with estate being under the limit, would there be no tax advantage?

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If she gives it to you and continues to live in it without paying you rent, it would still be included in her estate for the inheritance tax assessment.

If the flat increases in value before you sell the flat, you may have to pay Capital Gains Tax.
  • LindaMary
    LindaMary Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And if she goes into care...
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Plus you'd be her landlord & that is not a challenge free situation.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    scrub wrote: »
    Is there any advantage of putting the flat in my name now

If you needed to claim means tested benefits in the future, the flat would be assessed as capital and you'd be refused.

If you went bankrupt, the flat would have to be sold - where would your mother live then?

If you married and divorced, the flat would be included in the financial settlement and, again, may have to be sold.

Still thinking it's a good idea?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,623 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The fact that your mother owns property that will presumably be left to you, adds another £100k to add to her nil rate band, assuming the flat is worth that much. If the flat is worth under £100 the the whole value of it will be IHT exempt.

There are no tax advantages for doing this only dangers for you mother, should you meet with in untimely death or financial catastrophe.

Don't forget if she is a widow any unused nil rate band can be carried over from her husband, but whether that is the case or not it sounds like she is a long way from needing any form of IHT planning.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    scrub wrote: »
    Is there any advantage of putting the flat in my name now if she were to live another seven years?

This scheme consists entirely of disadvantages. About the daftest thing one can do with regard to IHT is amateur fannying about with property ownership.

As others have said, your mother's estate is anyway too small for IHT "mitigation" to make any sense.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • scrub
    scrub Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The fact that your mother owns property that will presumably be left to you, adds another £100k to add to her nil rate band, assuming the flat is worth that much. If the flat is worth under £100 the the whole value of it will be IHT exempt.

There are no tax advantages for doing this only dangers for you mother, should you meet with in untimely death or financial catastrophe.

Don't forget if she is a widow any unused nil rate band can be carried over from her husband, but whether that is the case or not it sounds like she is a long way from needing any form of IHT planning.

Thanks. Under the new scheme, it didn't actually look worth it but wanted to check mainly from a tax perspective.

I am aware I had to charge rent etc if I were to take ownership which isn't a problem as I'm already a landlord. It was the Capital Gains I was thinking of and the knock-on affects of owning my mother's property.

Relieved it's not worth it though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport