Ordering soil on the internet

Hi
Would be interested people's views/advice.
I ordered a tonne of soil by internet. A man in an 18 tonne HGV tried to deliver today. Our shared driveway is on the corner of our road and he said he couldn't get the lorry up - we have never had issues with this before - and as it is on a slight incline he said he needed help with the pallet, which unfortunately I couldn't provide.

The company I bought the soil from then phoned and we ended in a long discussion with no resolution, hence my request for help.

Their point is that they only guarantee kerbside delivery and that this was in their T&Cs, as well as that delivery would be on an 18 tonner, and that I was happy to make the order on that basis.

My position is that we (and our neighbours who share the driveway) have had bigger trucks deliver up the driveway successfully and therefore when ordering would on the basis of previous experience expect that the driver could deliver to the house.

The driver has now left and the company have sent an email saying we either need to pay for redelivery, or return charge of £42.

Please could anyone advise if I have any recourse? If I had expected that they wouldn't deliver to the house I wouldn't have ordered but as other drivers have been able to (in similar size and bigger) this was not even contemplated as an issue.

Hope you can help and thanks in advance

Comments

• daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    The funny thing is that, if the HGV were to cause damage on the driveway, you would be straight on the phone to request compensation (and your neighbor would be unhappy about not being asked for permission to access the driveway).

Seems like kerbside deliveries should be the industry standard in these situations (not least because many houses DO NOT have a driveway).... Maybe the companies in the past were being a bit negligent or careless?
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Kerbside delivery to level ground is not unusual for bulk deliveries like this.

What T&C's did you agree to when you placed the order? That is what is relevant, not what you think should be deliverable.

You also have to remember it's not just the size of the vehicle, it's the weight it's carrying too, a lorry filled with 1 tonne pallets of soil/aggregate will be a lot heavier that a lorry filled with say furniture or white goods.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    You agreed to kerbside delivery.

It doesn't matter if a fifty tonne truck drove into your garden last time.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'd have thought this counted as refusing to accept the delivery, so just tell them you want to cancel the order under the CCRs and you should be due a full refund.
  • rbeck31 wrote: »
    Hi
    Would be interested people's views/advice.
    I ordered a tonne of soil by internet. A man in an 18 tonne HGV tried to deliver today. Our shared driveway is on the corner of our road and he said he couldn't get the lorry up - we have never had issues with this before - and as it is on a slight incline he said he needed help with the pallet, which unfortunately I couldn't provide.

The company I bought the soil from then phoned and we ended in a long discussion with no resolution, hence my request for help.

Their point is that they only guarantee kerbside delivery and that this was in their T&Cs, as well as that delivery would be on an 18 tonner, and that I was happy to make the order on that basis.

My position is that we (and our neighbours who share the driveway) have had bigger trucks deliver up the driveway successfully and therefore when ordering would on the basis of previous experience expect that the driver could deliver to the house.

The driver has now left and the company have sent an email saying we either need to pay for redelivery, or return charge of £42.

Please could anyone advise if I have any recourse? If I had expected that they wouldn't deliver to the house I wouldn't have ordered but as other drivers have been able to (in similar size and bigger) this was not even contemplated as an issue.

Hope you can help and thanks in advance

Buy a wheel barrow!
  • rbeck31
    rbeck31 Posts: 19 Forumite
    I'd have thought this counted as refusing to accept the delivery, so just tell them you want to cancel the order under the CCRs and you should be due a full refund.

Hi - would you mind saying what CCRs are and how I would get a full refund? Many thanks for your time
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i had some delivered wasnt sure it was a ton though..how could i check it.?
    Anyway he dumped it on the driveway.
    wheelbarrowed it.
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    rbeck31 wrote: »
    Hi - would you mind saying what CCRs are and how I would get a full refund? Many thanks for your time
    CCRs = The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013
  • rbeck31
    rbeck31 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Thank you both of you. So as they couldn't deliver it is a returned load and they state return delivery cost of £42 + VAT - I originally paid £7 for delivery. Are they able to do this? (Of course, I recognise that I can organise return myself - don't happen to have a truck!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure